Patience Of A Saint

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Patience Of A Saint

I think that phrase must have originated to describe long suffering yet loyal Saints fans - which has me thinking

I can still wait - a GF doesn’t need to be next year as long as it’s on the way - so should we go ‘full mini build’ ??

By this I mean is Brad Hill the right target ? Is he young enough ?

I think I would focus as number 1 priority King and try to get a moneyball young gun mid - maybe chase jack martin - nearly 2 years young than Hill

I would be prepared to trade out Bruce Carlisle Steven newness McKenzie Webster( or savage) Dunstan Kent

Some of them might not have currency

Carlisle trade for if we get Howard
Dunstan for if we get one of younger crouch, Powell pepper wines or the like

Get jones

Try to wedge a young potential gun mid/wing runner from Gws or some other team

Get Ryder - to work on the structure with Marshall ( and someone else as his understudy - rookie Wyllie buzza - ? He plays the role - or someone better ?

Austin, b king , clavarino as 2nd key back option with Howard - battle in reserve but like him forward - would keep brown 1 more year to set standards and for emergency

Put a rocket up acres

Get Biggy - if he’s good - I actually sing knowmuch about him - not much info out there

I was more than happy to trade Ross before Ratten took the reigns - when he was just chasing metres gained - run really fast kick it really long ( TO ANYONE) Ratten seemed to slow him down and had him looking for targets- think he could’ve good if he keeps that up

I think we need a Lenny / Riewoldt type captain - ( I wish ) but someone who never takes a back step and can go at 100% all day - I would go Steele - Ross can stay vice - membrey definitely in leadership group

Back to the trading - Try not to totally give up all next years picks - happy to basically not draft kids this year though

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Patience Of A Saint

You post some interesting thoughts saint6709 and I totally agree that the Saints need to bring in some elite talent for the team to get into the top 8. The club has pretty well indicated as much, with the signing of Dan Hannebery in 2017, Bradley Hill and Paddy Ryder to come in next year and possibly more. All the 3 aforementioned will improve the team significantly - for those who knock Paddy Ryder just remember how important Shane Mumford was for GWS this year, and Paddy is a a cut above Mummy: he will team up with Roma in such a way that the club won't miss a disappointing Josh Bruce who wants to play for the Dogs.

I have really high expectations for the vast improvement of the Saints midfielders next year under Brett Ratten's coaching - he has a great track record for this during his time at Hawthorn in their premiership years, acknowledged by the likes of Sam Mitchell and Tom Mitchell. It's his forte and it should see Ross, Steele, Gresham, Clark, Dunstan, Billing, Long, Hind and Hill provide a smorgasbord of opportunities to the Saints forwards - Max King, Rowan Marshall, Tom Membrey should be able to have a regular feast!

Blake Acres I have more or less discarded in the belief that he could go to the Dockers as part of the Hill trade - if not, then like the others should be expected to also finally deliver on the high hopes we had for him.

It is really important for the Saints to appoint a new skipper - a lot of supporters feel that the club should stick with Jarryn Geary given his loyal service to the club, but in reality I don't think Geary can be rated as "top 22" next year and I would hate to see him selected ahead of more talented players because he is the captain. So yes, Jack Steele is definitely a strong contender, but if the club decides to make it Seb Ross that won't be a bad thing either, especially with the likelihood of his improvement under Ratten.

The off-season is a great time for Saints supporters to shake off the horrors of the past season and reflect on all of the positives that are in store for next year - I say it most years, that the destiny of the Saints is in good hands, but with a new coach and other football department appointments, plus Gubby Allen bringing his expertise to the table, I do genuinely believe that 2020 is looking bloody good!!!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Kilda
Club Player

Re: Patience Of A Saint

Agree with Saints6709 that there’s quite a bunch of current players who deserve close scrutiny by list management. They’ve had years to develop and some have even regressed. Gallagher, Lethlean and Co. need to start making the hard calls to flush out the mediocrity.

Like Saints6709, I believe that our primary focus should be Ben King. He may have only played 12-15 games but the raw talent is apparent. He’s agile, great contested mark and an accurate kick at goal.

I’ve noticed that some others here are skeptical about the King love-in (sure, they are raw) but I don’t hear them mounting an alternate vision. And the King twins represent an undeniable vision. What the Kings offer is a true point of difference. And the club has sorely lacked that for quite some time.

Two towering pillars who can hold down key posts at either of the ground is like gold. The fact they’re twins only adds to their (marketing & cultural) appeal. Along with Roma, they represent a formidable young trio that you can build a team around. Players from other clubs could well be drawn to be part of that. That is the point of difference that could set us apart from rival clubs.

Yes, of course there are no guarantees in life but the thought of this trio developing their crafts -still as teenagers- is really promising.

I hope the Saints hierarchy can see a similar vision and go for it. If not in the coming fortnight then in 12 months time.