Sliding Doors - some respect please for Spud

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sliding Doors - some respect please for Spud

First of all, what Barrett has written in Sliding Doors is quite respectful.
his laugh, the laughter he created, his warmth, his childish ways, his obsession with bringing people together, his complexity, his pure love of family and friends is eternal.
But why shoehorn it in to your stupid Sliding Doors segment? Can’t you find something else to write about the Saints?

The headline is just awkward
If Spud is gone ... then
And the opening paragraph
IN THIS week's Sliding Doors, made possible by ventraip australia, our chief football correspondent Damian Barrett puts Danny Frawley, ex-Crows coach Don Pyke, injured Pie Jordan De Goey, Dons coach John Worsfold, Port's co-captaincy decision, Joe Daniher, and more in the Doors' spotlight.
is totally inappropriate.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
diddley
Club Player

Re: Sliding Doors - some respect please for Spud

Mate, I know we love some Barrett-bashing on SS, but he did put a very in-depth story up within 24 hours of the news, showing his affection towards Spud, and how much he will be missed.
The opening paragraph is in there every week. It is a sponsored article. You would never ask St Kilda to remove the sponsors from the jersey for a match that they wear the black armband.
Put the pitchfork down for a minute, and see that he is hurting over the loss too.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, I'd let this one slide. Barrett has been outstanding - his column was first class, the Sounding Board episode was brilliant, too.

Barrett has told Frawley's story better than anyone this week IMO

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 12:32pm Yeah, I'd let this one slide. Barrett has been outstanding - his column was first class, the Sounding Board episode was brilliant, too.

I'd agree with that entirely.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 12:32pm Yeah, I'd let this one slide. Barrett has been outstanding - his column was first class, the Sounding Board episode was brilliant, too.

This is true evertonfc which is why he should have continued the respect shown by leaving him out of & making him the 'click bait' for his sliding doors vehicle.

I see where the OP is coming from and thought the same as soon as I opened the AFL site. Even after reading the "Then".

We have a new coach & a lot of work to do with our list, plenty of junk to write about but let Spud rest in peace.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I'm with Kosi on this one. It shouldn't be a bumper sticker for your column.

"If Spud is gone..."...... gimme a break, that is just a slack effort.

Appreciate he wrote a good article, and give him some credit for that. But to work it into that piece is inappropriate

Nee!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 1:13pm But to work it into that piece is inappropriate
I just looked at it on the site. Totally, utterly harmless. Oh, and a MASSIVE mural dedicated to Spud takes up the column. Nothing to get your blood pressure up about.

FMD, on the balance of things, I'm happy to let it slide...sigh. I don't know what more to say.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Not sure who is responsible, but I think it's inappropriate given what happened.

It was not a sliding doors moment.

Implying that it was a chance event like a missed goal or a player going off injured etc trivialises what happened.

it's very insensitive.

While I can't stand these stupid idioms and football metaphors, allow me to use one myself:

FAIL.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 12:11pm Mate, I know we love some Barrett-bashing on SS, but he did put a very in-depth story up within 24 hours of the news, showing his affection towards Spud, and how much he will be missed.
The opening paragraph is in there every week. It is a sponsored article. You would never ask St Kilda to remove the sponsors from the jersey for a match that they wear the black armband.
Put the pitchfork down for a minute, and see that he is hurting over the loss too.
Barrett's a tosser. While his article on Spud was exceptionally good, he has now reverted go his true form.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 1:31pm
fugazi wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 1:13pm But to work it into that piece is inappropriate
I just looked at it on the site. Totally, utterly harmless. Oh, and a MASSIVE mural dedicated to Spud takes up the column. Nothing to get your blood pressure up about.

FMD, on the balance of things, I'm happy to let it slide...sigh. I don't know what more to say.
The main picture of the article is Spud after a win photoshopped into a sliding door. You don’t think that’s tacky?

I get that Barrett was a mate and wrote a lovely article about Danny, but I think it was inappropriate to put it into that format and the editors at afl.com.au have made it worse by clumsily highlighting it at the top of the article.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 3:02pm Not sure who is responsible, but I think it's inappropriate given what happened.

Implying that it was a chance event like a missed goal or a player going off injured etc trivialises what happened.

it's very insensitive.

While I can't stand these stupid idioms and football metaphors, allow me to use one myself:

FAIL.
This is what Barrett wrote. You are all a bit foolish to think it’s bad what he wrote. No mention of no suicide note/unplanned demise or anything controversial whatsoever.

If
Spud is gone ...
then
his laugh, the laughter he created, his warmth, his childish ways, his obsession with bringing people together, his complexity, his pure love of family and friends is eternal.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Maybe I should have quoted that at the start of the OP and conceded that what he wrote was respectful.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 4:07pm
SaintPav wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 3:02pm Not sure who is responsible, but I think it's inappropriate given what happened.

it's very insensitive.

FAIL.
This is what Barrett wrote. You are all a bit foolish to think it’s bad what he wrote. No mention of no suicide note/unplanned demise or anything controversial whatsoever.

If
Spud is gone ...
then
You're calling me foolish after all your idiotic posts which you need to make under at least two user names!

That's rich.

:roll:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

amazing..we lose a legend of our club way too soon and some on here find a way to bicker between themselves over it. :roll:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Barrett is a bit of a flawed character. I think there are parallels between he and Danny that Danny may have understood. I'm not sure Spud would have minded the mention. I also see how some may see it as disrespectful but I see it as an extension of the respect already paid to Danny by Barrett.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 4:34pm amazing..we lose a legend of our club way too soon and some on here find a way to bicker between themselves over it. :roll:
Sounds like you're bickering.

Priceless.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Did I mention the whole thing was a bit tacky?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 6:03pm Image

Did I mention the whole thing was a bit tacky?
It’s definitely tacky Kosi and disrespectful.

It’s actually disgusting.

Premium89
Club Player

I don’t find what barret wrote in the column disrespectful- agree that some of the packaging (photos, intro) is borderline tacky, but that may be a sub editor after barret submits his wording.

However - Maccas sponsoring a “golden fist” tribute segment on channel 7 this evening is tacky - top to bottom, front to back, ear massages and all...