Context

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Context

We know we've had a bad run with injuries, probably ranked worst in the AFL this year.

At the start of 2019 would you have guessed the number of games MISSED by the following players (most through injury, a couple of juniors on form)?

Coffield 13
Carlisle 12
Steven 15
Hannebery 17
Clark 8
Lonie 9
Geary 16
Roberton 21
Kent 8
Webster 13
McCartin 21

I understand Steven may want out, and Roberton and McCartin may not play again, but surely a full season from Coffield, Clark, Hannebery, Webster, Geary, Carlisle, and Lonie will make us better in 2020, assuming we don't get another horror run of injuries.

Out of this adversity, though, we have found talent that will help us next year in Hind, Marshall, Battle, Paton, and Wilkie. There is a bit of a question mark on Long and Parker, but if they can take their game to a higher level, then that will be a bonus, too.

2020 is hardly a grim scenario, as some seem to think, as there is improvement left in many of those players listed above. What I'm most fascinated about is Jack Bytel. What I saw of him at under 18 level was the kind of stuff that makes you stand up and take notice. If he can overcome his injury (and it's progressing the right way), then we might get a very pleasant surprise at the back end of 2020.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Context

Good post. Thoughtful comments

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Whether you rate them or not, you can add Austin 21, Longer 20 and Pierce 20 to that list.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Yes, we’ve had a rotten run, but it doesn’t change the fact that we have no elite or top-end players.

Having a better run with injuries may get us as high as 10th, but we’ll never be in contention for the top 8 until we land a star mid or two.

Bad management is bad management
lewdogs
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 9:42pm Yes, we’ve had a rotten run, but it doesn’t change the fact that we have no elite or top-end players.

Having a better run with injuries may get us as high as 10th, but we’ll never be in contention for the top 8 until we land a star mid or two.
While that has been true in the past, it is changing. Marshall looks pretty close to A grade. Clark looks very likely.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 8:01pm We know we've had a bad run with injuries, probably ranked worst in the AFL this year.

At the start of 2019 would you have guessed the number of games MISSED by the following players (most through injury, a couple of juniors on form)?

Coffield 13
Carlisle 12
Steven 15
Hannebery 17
Clark 8
Lonie 9
Geary 16
Roberton 21
Kent 8
Webster 13
McCartin 21

I understand Steven may want out, and Roberton and McCartin may not play again, but surely a full season from Coffield, Clark, Hannebery, Webster, Geary, Carlisle, and Lonie will make us better in 2020, assuming we don't get another horror run of injuries.

Out of this adversity, though, we have found talent that will help us next year in Hind, Marshall, Battle, Paton, and Wilkie. There is a bit of a question mark on Long and Parker, but if they can take their game to a higher level, then that will be a bonus, too.

2020 is hardly a grim scenario, as some seem to think, as there is improvement left in many of those players listed above. What I'm most fascinated about is Jack Bytel. What I saw of him at under 18 level was the kind of stuff that makes you stand up and take notice. If he can overcome his injury (and it's progressing the right way), then we might get a very pleasant surprise at the back end of 2020.

So a shining light is a player that is yet to debut , pick 40 odd and coming off a serious back injury + no football for 12 months.

All other clubs will have players that improve just like that lot too.

Difference is the star/elite players and we still look to be missing these. Clark has shown the potential but will still need time to develop.

I don’t think 2020 is grim but there’s no evidence of being better either.

And we had no injuries last year with similar results.

Just another year of averageness. Doesn’t look like changing anytime soon.

Rubyjo
Club Player

King.. Bytel.. Steven.. Hanners.. Fully fit.. Offers something different than this year.. Roberton..paddy..bonus if they can play.. I'm optimistic

SuperDuper
Club Player

what actually happened to Austin?

just seems like an untold story..
is he training?
is the 'shoulder' really the problem?

just seems an odd case that he went unsighted all year