Assessing Ross Lyon’s score card - Hear Kanye Cornes?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Assessing Ross Lyon’s score card - Hear Kanye Cornes?

Free gets a bagging from Cornes again, and it seems his image way out west isn’t as hallowed as it is here. What does that tell you about how us common folks assess coaches? Richo is now a dead man walking it seems, holds his head high and is more respected for it. Lyon is more of a prickly bugger, but he is hallowed for it here. We think, that’s Ross the boss! But hearing Cornes last night predict that Lyon will walking in Richos boots next year made me twitch. Firstly, as usual I reflexively brush Cornes off as a blowhard soundbite junkie commentator, but it OI.Share quite a call, as Lyon is so respected here, and by us especially. Is he in danger in your opinion and could the Freo ferals over there just get to him and weaken his position because of these terrible results? And why are they so terrible by the way? Isn’t it his fault, just like we blame Richo? I know I sound a bit trolly here, but I wanna know the difference between perception of legacy and reality of contribution.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Crossy66
Club Player

Re: Assessing Ross Lyon’s score card - Hear Kanye Cornes?

Go to most fan forums of clubs that arent travelling well and they all want to hang the coach.
In Richo's case, I feel for him because I think he might be a good coach and the injuries this year have not given him a real chance to show his best. But I think regardless, the saints need a fresh set of eyes and a new voice to go forward.

As far as Lyon goes, I hope he listens to the jungle drums and gets out of freo as soon as he can.
We should make him the godfather offer and get him back. If you listened to the saints players who played under him he is revered. That's good enough for me.

roman
Club Player

Why would you want Lyon back with his negative <edited by mods> football ? Kicking the ball backwards and all over the backline then turning it over. Having said that he is smart and will vacate Freo for some other sucker club while he still has this delusional currency. I was glad to see the back of the Prick and burned my membership because of him

roman
Club Player

PS. i don't feel sorry for Mr Teflon Richardson. He's had 5 years to get something happening. How much longer can we wait ? Piss him off. We should have 2 seasons ago. Ratten is the go IMO

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

As it stands, with our current list, no changes, no injuries (apart from average losses through the season) if Ross Lyon walked in the door at Moorabbin November 1st, 2019, how many wins do you think we will have season 2020 after Round 23?

Crossy66
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 4:13pm As it stands, with our current list, no changes, no injuries (apart from average losses through the season) if Ross Lyon walked in the door at Moorabbin November 1st, 2019, how many wins do you think we will have season 2020 after Round 23?
A loaded question Mr grambeau, luv it!
My feeling at the start of this year was we would win 10 minimum, in part because of a reasonable draw. Injuries wrecked that.
So assuming a similiar draw next year and reasonable injuries, I think we play finals, so 12 or 13 wins at a minimum.
Why?
We have pumped games into a lot of the kids, so they will be 50 % better for it, add in a fit bytel and king, Roberton , another high end draft pick and we should expect an improvement.
Lyon has extremely high standards and is renowned for been meticulous with in everything he does. He may also attract a rea or two.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

He doesn't look meticulous. Looks crumpled and a little unkept. Nick Reiwoldt looks meticulous but isn't a coach. Perhaps the coaching gig gives guys that slept in their clothes look, after a while. The Sydney ex-captain and Buddhist looks well kept but, quite dapper actually.

Crossy66
Club Player

roman wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 3:56pm Why would you want Lyon back with his Nigga football ? Kicking the ball backwards and all over the backline then turning it over. Having said that he is smart and will vacate Freo for some other sucker club while he still has this delusional currency. I was glad to see the back of the Prick and burned my membership because of him
Jeebus, Roman, might be worth seeing some one about that! Btw, what is "nigga" football?

roman
Club Player

Cressy66 think i described it (Nigga football )there didn't I ? Negative football in other words :P
One of the Yanks I once worked with once described my version of playing pool as Nigga pool cos i was snookering him all the time. I thought it was a great way to describe it and it fits Ross Lyon's ugly s*** corporate style of football he promotes. Same with his say nothing after match interviews. Richardson is the same. How can you blab for so long and say nothing.
Last edited by roman on Sun 14 Jul 2019 7:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crossy66
Club Player

roman wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 6:41pm Cressy66 think i described it (Nigga football )there didn't I ? Negative football in other words :P
One of the Yanks I once worked with once described my version of playing pool as Nigga pool cos i was snookering him all the time. I thought it was a great way to describe it and it fits Ross Lyon's ugly s*** corporate style of football he promotes. Same with his say nothing after match speeches. Richardson is the same. How can you blab for so long and say nothing.
I actually assumed it was a typo or spell checker thing. Not a popular term these days.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I like Ross. He was great with us. Roo loves him
He’s finished games past him by and he’s never taken a struggling list and risen
No thanks

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 7:35pm I like Ross. He was great with us. Roo loves him
He’s finished games past him by and he’s never taken a struggling list and risen
No thanks
Your view not mine. To me he was a lying prick who walked out on us after retiring 4 players against their wishes or prior knowledge.

He also cost us two flags.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 7:38pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 7:35pm I like Ross. He was great with us. Roo loves him
No thanks
Your view not mine. To me he was a lying prick who walked out on us after retiring 4 players against their wishes or prior knowledge.

Of course it is I posted it?
Most successful saints coach of the modern era - FACT like him or not.

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 7:40pm
No thanks

He was and still is, a lying devious prick. A very ordinary bloke actually.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Strange thing
I dislike the prick intensely myself.
Back in January played poker with with Steven Baker and got chatting.
He was one of those unilaterally retired by Lyon.
Tried to get him to bag the prick, no way would he take the bait!

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

No thanks
Ross was great with us, took a list that most thought was finished and ready for a rebuild as close as we could get to repeating 66.

I think time has passed Ross by now and he needs to reinvent or move on.

He appears to be underachieving with the talent that is available to him.

I would love to see him go well but I can’t see it happening, I wouldn’t want him back at the Saints.

FWIW I personally found Ross to be one of the most genuine people I have come across in elite sport. He recently went out of his way & caught up with a family member of mine who was in Perth, had chat for 15 minutes then stayed & watched him (family member) train.

Very astute man, loves learning how different sports operate and train, techniques etc.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 5:38pm
My feeling at the start of this year was we would win 10 minimum, in part because of a reasonable draw. Injuries wrecked that
We might still win 10

Bulldogs / Melbourne / Carlton / Freo / Sydney ...... to come

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 7:53pm
No thanks

How many times have you met him?

He actually likes people and treats people with respect.

If a an Old dry blower like you walked up to him and said above to his face he’d chuckle and offer to buy you a drink.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
ace
Saintsational Legend

roman wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 3:56pm Why would you want Lyon back with his Nigga football ? Kicking the ball backwards and all over the backline then turning it over. Having said that he is smart and will vacate Freo for some other sucker club while he still has this delusional currency. I was glad to see the back of the Prick and burned my membership because of him
Calling out HighettMan
Where are you.
We need your assessment on the use of this "N" word.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Crossy66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 7:53pm
No thanks

i dont get this Saynta. I assume you are referring to his departure from us. Was a bit of a two way street was my understanding.
And as far as him leaving us in a mess, fair to say we sold our future for premiership glory and missed by a whisker.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Assessing Ross Lyon’s score card - Hear Kanye Corne

I think GT was an underrated coach but it’s probably because of his awkward public image more than anything he did in the field.IMO Ross Lyon made the ship pretty watertight but blunted the beautiful parts and I don’t know what really happened in 2011, but he was riding high and I suppose he sensed it was time to pounce on opportunity - he knew he was a a bit of a scragger. He also knew we peaked in ‘09 in respect to the competition.
That is the legacy image for me, but now we see the facts at Freo. They don’t apparently consider him a knight anymore and that thrashing in the derby- wow. When Cornes says he’ll be Richo next year at this rate, I wonder if he thinks both Richo and Lyon are decent coaches who are stuck on the wrong end of the stick - the one used to pick up the dog s—-t that used to be on the nature strips!
So that loss to WCoast is partly his fault. I am damn sure if we lost to WCoast by 91or a cotenant at Marvel we’d be calling for Richo to strung up like Mussolini.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Don't like the way he deserted a sinking ship but I'm very nostalgic for the days when we played with a system, with
some self-belief, with some guts, with some never-say-die attitude. We commanded respect back then.

If he came back to the Saints I wouldn't be unhappy and I urge others to reconsider. Not that it's likely.

Crossy66
Club Player

A lot of negative chatter about RTB in Freo.
Perhaps he is gettable

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Sure Ross is gettable...

How is his list management looking?

How is his player development looking?

Seems to me that he still has his favorites and role players.

Oh and he made another GF since he left.

Which he lost.

Again.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

So Ross has a strike rate of just 25% over the last 3 and 3/4 seasons. (Won 20 Lost 60) I don’t know what Richo’s is but it would be slightly better.
Interesting.
And Harvey as caretaker was pretty good, got the gig seasons end and they crashed prett big time the following season.
I guess it is pretty easy to make a case based on stats alone, (and sack a coach on that basis) but it is harder to mess with the legacy image. Ross is still the boss and Richo is the nice guy. :?