Robbo's dislikes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Robbo's dislikes

from the gerald sun ,com

"WHAT I DISLIKE
1. Where does this leave Richo?

Football boss Simon Lethlean was perched next to him in the coach’s box and at quarter-time Lethlean, chief executive Matt Finnis and whoever else is going to decide Alan Richardson’s future must have had their heads in their hands. Down by 40 points, this Saints display loomed as a coach killer. But these players have fight. They kicked 10.6 to 10.5 in the next three quarters, showing some terrific attitude before the contest petered out in the final quarter. They were the third-youngest team this round and up against a pretty tough unit, but that first quarter was meek. The Saints have two wins and eight losses in their past 10 matches. Their percentage since Round 6 is 69. Only Gold Coast has been worse."

Players can certainly play when they are a nind too, What happens in the other quarter each game is beyond my comprehension.

Bit of a smell of death around the place if you ask me.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Robbo's dislikes

Of course there's a smell of death - the Senior players would have been around long enough to know what that smells like and the younger ones aren't stupid. When there's no pressure, the players just play. That's clearly evident. That game was done and dusted at 1/4 time. There was nothing more to lose so, they just played footy. My God though - how poor of a Captain is Seb Ross. FFS - he's as meek as they come. Horrible body language to go with his pathetic footskills. Not sure we've ever had a starting midfielder who's so adept at accumulating posessions yet, so unable to make those posessions count for anything other than bolstering his stats column.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

There no surprise in the fact that we were smashed in the 1st quarter yesterday. Who is going to come out firing when Alan Richardson and Seb Ross are your motivators? Yes players should be able to motivate themselves, but with our leadership at the moment, that'd be a tough ask.We've lost 8 of our last 9 first quarters, 3 of which have reflected the final margin.

This might sound harsh, but in over 30 years of watching St Kilda, I haven't seen worse on field leadership or a worse captain (albeit acting captain).

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Beno88 wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2019 1:26pm There no surprise in the fact that we were smashed in the 1st quarter yesterday. Who is going to come out firing when Alan Richardson and Seb Ross are your motivators? Yes players should be able to motivate themselves, but with our leadership at the moment, that'd be a tough ask.We've lost 8 of our last 9 first quarters, 3 of which have reflected the final margin.

This might sound harsh, but in over 30 years of watching St Kilda, I haven't seen worse on field leadership or a worse captain (albeit acting captain).
10000%. Someone on here the other day posited that the role of coach is overrated. I think yesterday was a stark example of why that's not the case. Leadership is overthing and in a football team - that comes from the coach. He is the CEO (i.e. strategy, culture) of the team and his Captain is the COO (i.e. charged with bringing his team along to execute the strategy and enforce the culture standards). Cho and Ross - my God - and people wonder where we are where we are.

For the life of me I can't think of a worse starting midfield in the history modern AFL than Ross, Dunstan and Steele.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

On Seb Ross...
20 minutes into the first quarter yesterday and he was showing doughnuts.
0 possessions and tackles. Totally insipid!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Did Robbo dislike Parker's stupid 50 metre penalty and Foot's hair trigger call on Jake and the double standards re interference to forwards and prior opportunity.

The really sad thing is we were capable of winning that game, like a few others this year we have lost; we served it up to them after quarter time ; but the club is badly coached, knows it, and can't fix it. How stupid is that.

And these guys are going to lead us out of the desert? If Management are really waiting until about R19 to make the obvious announcement and replace the coach they have no heart. Sack him now and make his lawyer prove he was on track for a finals win; that would be worth watching. Beyond reasonable doubt - your honour, exhibit A: 2018, exhibit B: 2019 percentage. Exhibit C: any press conference. Exhibit D: Game plan - apologies cannot locate, will need to subpoena disclosure. Exhibit E: League ladder.

saintkev
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2019 1:21pm Of course there's a smell of death - the Senior players would have been around long enough to know what that smells like and the younger ones aren't stupid. When there's no pressure, the players just play. That's clearly evident. That game was done and dusted at 1/4 time. There was nothing more to lose so, they just played footy. My God though - how poor of a Captain is Seb Ross. FFS - he's as meek as they come. Horrible body language to go with his pathetic footskills. Not sure we've ever had a starting midfielder who's so adept at accumulating posessions yet, so unable to make those posessions count for anything other than bolstering his stats column.
He’s uninspiring, feeble and timid to the max. Ziebell and Cunnington towelled us up. Luke Dunstan, Steele and even Billings were harder in the contest.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

According to my contact who was on the ground at quarter-time, assistants and everyone else stood back and Richo gave them one almighty and very loud spray. He didn't hold back. He went right off.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

But hang on Saintpav, that doesn’t help our agenda so it can’t be true.

AR just sits back and does nothing, that’s more like it,

On Seb, he found himself playing in the back half yesterday and had no idea, he was not the right person for that role.

Special
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2019 3:48pm According to my contact who was on the ground at quarter-time, assistants and everyone else stood back and Richo gave them one almighty and very loud spray. He didn't hold back. He went right off.
And hopefully SL did the same to Richo post match re the shambles that the first term was.

Richo is a desperate man. He knows he’s cooked as the first term was proof of that.