Hardwick Said...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HighettMan
Club Player

Hardwick Said...

After three straight losses, Hardwick cautioned fans expecting an immediate bounce back to form.

"The fact we've had four players play every game together, the connection of sides – you look at the sides who are at the very, very top, the way they've had a great connection and a lot of their players have played together for a sustained period," he said.

Even the top sides stuggle when injury hit. I've been saying for 2 years our problems won't be solved by sacking a coach.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Richo apologist, or have blind faith, I am the complete opposite and believe in accountability and I've been saying this for 2 years.

But you cant get a game plan going when you have players that are key structural players on the sidelines for extended periods and can't develop awareness and cohesion amongst the core.

For example. I reckon some of our midelfieders had problems due to DH, he did things at an intensity that was unfamiliar, he effected a few contests to get the ball to advantage after he realised he couldn't take clean possession but the cue was missed or it even looked like there was some star gazing going on.

The midfielders will need time to gel with DH.

injuries have cruelled us for 2 seasons and robbed our young developing list the opportinty to play big chunks of footy as a unit.

Sometimes the game is simple.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hardwick Said...

I remember a similar situation with Les Foote who was appointed captain coach in 1954/55. He was "Doc" like in his abilities and ball handling skills. I remember him bouncing handballs off startled Saints players chests. His skills were far above those of the bottom dwelling saints. A bit like today and Hanners.
Last edited by saynta on Fri 28 Jun 2019 5:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

HighettMan wrote: Fri 28 Jun 2019 2:26pm After three straight losses, Hardwick cautioned fans expecting an immediate bounce back to form.

"The fact we've had four players play every game together, the connection of sides – you look at the sides who are at the very, very top, the way they've had a great connection and a lot of their players have played together for a sustained period," he said.

Even the top sides stuggle when injury hit. I've been saying for 2 years our problems won't be solved by sacking a coach.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Richo apologist, or have blind faith, I am the complete opposite and believe in accountability and I've been saying this for 2 years.

But you cant get a game plan going when you have players that are key structural players on the sidelines for extended periods and can't develop awareness and cohesion amongst the core.

For example. I reckon some of our midelfieders had problems due to DH, he did things at an intensity that was unfamiliar, he effected a few contests to get the ball to advantage after he realised he couldn't take clean possession but the cue was missed or it even looked like there was some star gazing going on.

The midfielders will need time to gel with DH.

injuries have cruelled us for 2 seasons and robbed our young developing list the opportinty to play big chunks of footy as a unit.

Sometimes the game is simple.
A reasonable assertion. However, our problems last year started way before injuries hit.

Whilst others here got worked up by the GWS, West Coast, Carlton & Gold Coast games, I had deep concerns about our final quarter against Collingwood. It was the utter capitulation, starting in the middle but spreading quickly that worried me. Getting smashed in every contest, taking eyes off the ball etc.

Whilst at the time, I thought the China disaster may have been due to illness, we saw it happened again last week from time on in the second quarter and for the whole third.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

oh please,
Hanners has joined in regular full training for weeks and weeks.
Guys should be used to him by now.
It's not like he's been training by himself and suddenly come into the team by friggin stealth

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
HighettMan
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 28 Jun 2019 8:15pm oh please,
Hanners has joined in regular full training for weeks and weeks.
Guys should be used to him by now.
It's not like he's been training by himself and suddenly come into the team by friggin stealth
You're kidding right. So pre season match practice should be scrapped and just rock up for round 1.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
degruch
Saintsational Legend

I've often wondered how many of our onfield issues hark back to the fact an injury interrupted and unstable line-up over the last 2-3 seasons...but regardless, would anyone seriously expect any other club to re-sign a coach with as poor a record as Cho? I just can't see it happening, even if by some miracle we finish the year well.

Josh Battle
Club Player

degruch wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 12:03am I've often wondered how many of our onfield issues hark back to the fact an injury interrupted and unstable line-up over the last 2-3 seasons...but regardless, would anyone seriously expect any other club to re-sign a coach with as poor a record as Cho? I just can't see it happening, even if by some miracle we finish the year well.
The club admin and the head coach were claiming that the team was ready to play finals in 2018.

I disagree that we've had "an unstable line up over the last 2-3 years" Our midfield has been pretty much in tact over the last 2-3 years. There were media statements after our JLT games in 2018 that stated the coach thought we had the list capable of challenging for a top 4 spot.

Last year we had Jake Carlisle and Nath Brown available for nearly every round and Logan Austin nearly all year as well. Jimmy Webster missed only a handful of games so apart from Dylan the backline was mostly in tact as well.

Paddy McCartin played 15-16 games total for the year (which was his best tally since being recruited) and Paddy was available for every game up until the round seven game. Paddy returned round 10 and played 7 or 8 after that. We were 1 win, 1 draw, and 11 losses in the middle of the year around the bye and our ladder position wasn't due to injuries...that's for sure!!

The guys that got injured early and were missing for the whole of 2018 were Bruce and Roberton and they both played in the first 3 rounds. We only won game in the first round at home against the previuos years wooden spooners so can't use injuries as an excuse for what happened in 2018

I just remembered that we did have interruptions and some instability to the midfield but it was mainly due to Cho's selection policy rather than injuries. Cho played Armo in front of Luke Dunstan in the early rounds in 2018 (when Luke had clearly shown he was best 22 in the last few rounds of 2017). Koby Stevens was the mid that got injured early and didn't play again after the round 2 Good Friday debacle

Cho dropped Jack Steele after that round 2 loss to North Melbourne. How about that for backing the wrong horse? Steele ended up being one of our core mids and one of our most important players. In the meantime the selection committee kept rewarding Jack Newnes, Jade Gresham and Jack Billings for their mediocre effort in those early rounds and their poor performances.
Last edited by Josh Battle on Sat 29 Jun 2019 12:53am, edited 1 time in total.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

But what did Mrs Hardwick say?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Mrs Hardwick said: this seems a good opportunity to win dear. It will cheer you up. Might I be able to let the dog in Sunday night with no kicking?