Kicking for goal from forward pockets

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Kicking for goal from forward pockets

It has been the source of much frustration this year to see forwards kicking for goal from forward pockets ON THEIR WRONG FOOT!

Dean Kent is a prime offender. A left-footer, Kent almost always is positioned in the left forward pocket and then when he kicks for goal more often than not he kicks the ball across the face of the goals for a behind. This has cost the team a lot of goals and contributed significantly to the poor goal kicking accuracy so far this year.

I would have thought that when the team reviews the game they can see that this is an issue, yet it keeps happening.

Kent is a good acquisition this year, he's a good kick and I feel he well deserves his place in the best 22, but he undoes a lot of his good work by failing to nail goals from acute angles on his wrong foot!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kicking for goal from forward pockets

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 27 May 2019 11:27am It has been the source of much frustration this year to see forwards kicking for goal from forward pockets ON THEIR WRONG FOOT!

Dean Kent is a prime offender. A left-footer, Kent almost always is positioned in the left forward pocket and then when he kicks for goal more often than not he kicks the ball across the face of the goals for a behind. This has cost the team a lot of goals and contributed significantly to the poor goal kicking accuracy so far this year.

I would have thought that when the team reviews the game they can see that this is an issue, yet it keeps happening.

Kent is a good acquisition this year, he's a good kick and I feel he well deserves his place in the best 22, but he undoes a lot of his good work by failing to nail goals from acute angles on his wrong foot!
Pretty obvious isn't it.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kicking for goal from forward pockets

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 27 May 2019 11:27am It has been the source of much frustration this year to see forwards kicking for goal from forward pockets ON THEIR WRONG FOOT!
There is no point them leading to the pocket of their RIGHT foot if the play is down the other side of the ground. What we need to do is recognise that they will not have a high likelihood of scoring the maximum and lead to give them a short option - it's what the good teams do people - that's why they all have better scoring percentage than us. How often have we bemoaned the short pass to a player in better position when we are defending?????

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!