Parker’s x-factor

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Parker’s x-factor

Nice piece by Michael Gleeson about the Parker factor.

“It has been St Kilda’s theme of recent years that they have had good, honest players but none with electricity in their game. Jade Gresham last year stood out because he had spark. This year they have found Parker to join him. Ben Long has similar traits to Parker - he is a similar build and plays a similar role - but at 23 years old and after playing senior WAFL football for South Fremantle Parker is more battle-ready.

Parker is 190cm tall and with good hands and a leap, so he plays tall enough to be a third target around Tim Membrey and Josh Bruce, but also has elite pace so can pressure and hunt the ball at ground level. He is a bit like Will Hoskin-Elliott in that sense.

On Saturday both Bruce and Membrey were shut out and Parker was the default target. At pick 47 it makes him an impressive find.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/4-p ... 51hyp.html

Always loyal
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: Parker’s x-factor

Good selection at the draft. Along with Wilkie. Well done to the club. Credit where credit is due folks.

Parker needs to get the footy a bit more but that will come. We also need to sign him up to a 3 year deal to stop the WA clubs going after him.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 9:40am Good selection at the draft. Along with Wilkie. Well done to the club. Credit where credit is due folks.

Parker needs to get the footy a bit more but that will come. We also need to sign him up to a 3 year deal to stop the WA clubs going after him.
No need for negativity, he is playing his role of pressure forward.

Chasing, tackling and harassing, pressure acts and covers plenty of meters. The opposition also know he’s around.

He’s also hitting the scoreboard and providing a fair bit of flair.

Agree good get @ #47.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 10:10am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 9:40am Good selection at the draft. Along with Wilkie. Well done to the club. Credit where credit is due folks.

No need for negativity, he is playing his role of pressure forward.

Chasing, tackling and harassing, pressure acts and covers plenty of meters. The opposition also know he’s around.

He’s also hitting the scoreboard and providing a fair bit of flair.

Agree good get @ #47.
Agreed and he doesn’t need to turn every thread into a defence of the club. Strange.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Not negative.

He just needs to find a bit more of the footy and he will become a very good and damaging player.

Great selection at the draft. 47 I think it was.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Certainly provided some exciting moments Saturday.

What I like about him is that he has flair and he backs himself to do the barely possible.

That should be encouraged in every player on the list who has flair. A lot of players have it coached out of them and you end up with one dimensional robots.

He’s also the best “jubilator” at the club. Again, that’s a good thing because it gets up the opposition’s noses and gets the crowd going.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 29 Apr 2019 11:57am, edited 1 time in total.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 11:13am Not negative.

He just needs to find a bit more of the footy and he will become a very good and damaging player.

Great selection at the draft. 47 I think it was.
Disagree with the negativity, he’s playing his high pressure role extremely well then is damaging when he gets the ball in hand.

We’ve had three/ four permanent small mid sized forwards this season in Lonie, Long, Parker & Kent.

Other than Lonie who plays roams higher up the ground there is little difference between Parker & Long and Kent for average disposals & goals scored with Parker 76% far above Long 57% & Kent 58% in disposal efficiency.

Parker has also double the tackle count and significant more pressure acts than Kent, while Long is also very high in tackles and pressure acts.

Parker, Long and Kent all between the 10.5 and 12 possessions per week but I feel it unfair to criticize Parker when he plays his team role so well but also impacts the game with his flair.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Ok Corfe. Parker doesn't need to improve in your eyes. That is fine.

I just want the kid to become better and he will. Once he starts getting up to 15-20 touches he will be massive. He hasn't even played 10 games yet. It will come.

Richo and Ratta have him playing his role well.

Total = 1.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Scott Watters was an innovator and ahead of his time
There was negativity and doubts regarding having a mosquito fleet of small forwards back then but it seems Clarko and most of his disciples have adopted a similar forward line

As have we this year

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 12:06pm Ok Corfe. Parker doesn't need to improve in your eyes. That is fine.

I just want the kid to become better and he will. Once he starts getting up to 15-20 touches he will be massive. He hasn't even played 10 games yet. It will come.

Richo and Ratta have him playing his role well.
Correct, he’s well ahead of where most would have expected after 6 matches.

If he hits 80 games and is still averaging 10-12 possessions but drops his tackling and pressure acts I’d be concerned, but suggesting he’s not getting enough of the ball after 6 matches is unfair IMO.

We should have those expectations of 15-20 touches from experienced players who have hit the 60-100 game bracket like Lonie has done late last year and the first five matches this season.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Read my posts Corfe. He needs to start getting more touches and he will.

Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 12:24pm Read my posts Corfe. He needs to start getting more touches and he will.
No he doesn’t, like Long he’s high in pressure acts and tackles and has high disposal efficiency when he gets it.

This is a team game and he plays his high pressure role extremely well.

He basically averages the same possessions as Kent and Long who play in the same area of the ground, do they need to also start getting more touches?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

To become the player I want him to be and others want him to be then he needs more touches. And it will come over time. No rush but it will come. Read my posts properly Corfe.

Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 12:32pm To become the player I want him to be and others want him to be then he needs more touches. And it will come over time. No rush but it will come. Read my posts properly Corfe.
He basically averages the same possessions as Kent and Long who play in the same area of the ground, do they need to also start getting more touches?

Can you answer above please?

Also I’m not to sure how highly becoming the player you want him to be will be on his priority list 😂😂😂

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I like the vibe aound him but eventually You have to ask, “Shouldn’t he be getting more touches at Trevor Barker Oval first?” Devil’s advocate for sure, but is he keeping out a player who might get 15-25 possessions?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 12:37pm I like the vibe aound him but eventually You have to ask, “Shouldn’t he be getting more touches at Trevor Barker Oval first?” Devil’s advocate for sure, but is he keeping out a player who might get 15-25 possessions?
He is flashy and does some nice things but his output will improve on the posession front. He is still a kid really and barely played.

Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 12:37pm I like the vibe aound him but eventually You have to ask, “Shouldn’t he be getting more touches at Trevor Barker Oval first?” Devil’s advocate for sure, but is he keeping out a player who might get 15-25 possessions?
He tackles, he provides high pressure and has high disposal efficiency.

I believe there is more to his team performance than disposal stats.

Who would you replace him with?

Crossy66
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 12:40pm
He tackles, he provides high pressure and has high disposal efficiency.

I believe there is more to his team performance than disposal stats.

Who would you replace him with?
I like him and think he should be in the team so he can get used to the pace of AFL, but under pressure, he sometimes doesnt make good decisions and fumbles but thats about where you would expect a 6 gamer to be. It is a little concerning when you add Kent Long and Parkers output together. Not sure we can carry all 3 at the one time

CarlD
Club Player

I'm just waiting for Matty Parker to take mark of the year :D

Sanctorum
Club Player

To me Matty Parker has performed extremely well in his first 6 games at the elite level - sure, he makes mistakes such as attempting to kick set shots at goal beyond his range, but when you consider where he has come from I consider he has done as well as any of the mature age recruits in the AFL in recent years.

When he has completed his "apprenticeship" I feel sure the mercurial Parker will mature to become a real match winner for the Saints, and a genuine excitement machine!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

OK...I agree with the sentiments here...he's a ripper, he's gonna get better, needs time to get into it, stats aren't everything...

However, still doesn't satisfy the professional in me....ha! ...(one small laugh at myself!)
But seriously, we have to treat each game like a grand final at this point of the season. 8 grannies in a row until round nine...then after the bye, think about player development..

I think everyone is treating him differently, because he is somewhat 'unique' ...23 yr old WAFL player, last chance romance, a bit like that Geelong guy from SA years back with a difficult name..he was 28! Was a very decent forward for them for four or so seasons. A bit like Nathan Lyon, the groundsman. Now Lyon has been our best spinner for a decade or more but..

I hope those at the club don't think of anything but 'Grand Final' each and every week until mid-season and that means, the following doesn't matter at all..

a) He's a 'spirited' chap
b) He will get better, give him time (we don't have time until after bye)
c) From WA, 23 yr old ..wow..interesting story for fans
d) Rough past, give a guy a break
e) A father and he's extremely grateful to be given (another) crack
f) Celebrates well

..and only think
a) great for our structure
b) has assets of his own that really matter play-by-play
c) hard to match up for the opposition because they don't really know..
d) great skills
e) (fill in blank about other stuff that has nothing to do with the first list..)

Anyway, I love that he's there and he has made it exciting..I hope he blossoms quickly, but if he is keeping out a player who could give more, right now, as in next week in Canberra...we have a lot to learn to become a real contender

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2019 12:46pm OK...I agree with the sentiments here...he's a ripper, he's gonna get better, needs time to get into it, stats aren't everything...

However, still doesn't satisfy the professional in me....ha! ...(one small laugh at myself!)
But seriously, we have to treat each game like a grand final at this point of the season. 8 grannies in a row until round nine...then after the bye, think about player development..

I think everyone is treating him differently, because he is somewhat 'unique' ...23 yr old WAFL player, last chance romance, a bit like that Geelong guy from SA years back with a difficult name..he was 28! Was a very decent forward for them for four or so seasons. A bit like Nathan Lyon, the groundsman. Now Lyon has been our best spinner for a decade or more but..

I hope those at the club don't think of anything but 'Grand Final' each and every week until mid-season and that means, the following doesn't matter at all..

a) He's a 'spirited' chap
b) He will get better, give him time (we don't have time until after bye)
c) From WA, 23 yr old ..wow..interesting story for fans
d) Rough past, give a guy a break
e) A father and he's extremely grateful to be given (another) crack
f) Celebrates well

..and only think
a) great for our structure
b) has assets of his own that really matter play-by-play
c) hard to match up for the opposition because they don't really know..
d) great skills
e) (fill in blank about other stuff that has nothing to do with the first list..)

Anyway, I love that he's there and he has made it exciting..I hope he blossoms quickly, but if he is keeping out a player who could give more, right now, as in next week in Canberra...we have a lot to learn to become a real contender

I do not understand your logic at all.

We NEED players to improve and we need different players in our best 22 as well. Just recycling what we had last year is a dead end.

We NEED to get players like Parker a go and to develop them.
Parker has only had 6 AFL games and not long ago was in the amateurs.

His potential upside is enormous. Now is not the time to squash all that.

Dreaming of a GF is grand, but to not foster players like Parker now would the surest way to guarantee that we never make the GF.

PS:
Personally I think the only reason that people are treating him differently is that they can see his raw talent and are excited by it, in much the same way that after seeing Gresh play a few games it excited people.

He way go nowhere, he may be just useful, or he may be special but he is most definitely worth getting games into now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2019 1:13pm

Dreaming of a GF is grand, but to not foster players like Parker now would the surest way to guarantee that we never make the GF.
Yeah, I get the 'squashing' bit and that would be a terrible waste...

But no one remembers that we 'gave the kids a go' last season or the season before that. They only remember 4 and half wins and that Richo is on death row now etc., so it is a dilemma, always has been, always will. A conundrum. Play to win vs Play to develop. A team is a single unit vs a team is a collection of individuals.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2019 2:12pm
saintsRrising wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2019 1:13pm

Yeah, I get the 'squashing' bit and that would be a terrible waste...

But no one remembers that we 'gave the kids a go' last season or the season before that. They only remember 4 and half wins and that Richo is on death row now etc., so it is a dilemma, always has been, always will. A conundrum. Play to win vs Play to develop. A team is a single unit vs a team is a collection of individuals.

Personally I think our only chance of winning it this year is if we can grow some talent like Parker, Wilkie, Paton, Battle. Marshall to merge with the stepping up of Billings, Gresh, Steele, Sinclair etc with hopefully Carlisle, Hannas and Steven all coming good in the second half of the season.

Not all would be in the 22 at seasons end, but the 22 we would then have may then have a chance.

I am a lot more excited about our prospects now, than I was prior to round 1. But in my case that excitement is more about what I could see coming together in 2020 with King, Bytel, Coffield and Clarke all pushing up....hopefully snagging a Martin or the like and building on this years improvement in our younger group of players.

I can really see Marshall being much better in 2020 after a season of being our No1 ruck, and Battle also to me is really looking the goods. Parker can be a piece of that puzzle too.

My main concern still remains though that lack of some extra top-end class in our midfield. Gresh if he can build his tank more may be part of that answer.

Cats, Pies and GWS all ooze class and depth in their midfield rotations.

However Tiges and Doggies have shown what can happen if you get on a roll.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

He has quite a cult following. Has proven to be a great pick up, thus far. Fremantle game was his only disappointing game, but he had a quite a few others not showing much that day.

Rock the Casbah - Matthew Parker!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!