Melbourne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Melbourne

Watching the game - Melbourne are diabolical - have been since about half way through the first qtr - Richmond still struggling to put them away !

Even with Melbourne being so bad - I think we can win this week ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: Melbourne

They have no forward line and are awful forward of the centre

One year will be our year
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

No idea whats happened to them such a dramatic turnaround

Has this draft some good players? are they tanking again?

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Got to say I enjoyed the last half with the Tigers crushing them

saint6709
Club Player

Also not so fussed we didnโ€™t take Petracca which is extremely positive for my peace of mind ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Šspeaking of which I think I just heard the commentator say Mav Wheeler !! 3 minutes to go in the fourth and I canโ€™t temember hearing his name before in this game ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

saint6709
Club Player

I could be mistaken re the MAV Weller call ?!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Talking about how many weeks before he is fit to play.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: โ†‘Wed 24 Apr 2019 11:04pm Also not so fussed we didnโ€™t take Petracca which is extremely positive for my peace of mind ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Šspeaking of which I think I just heard the commentator say Mav Wheeler !! 3 minutes to go in the fourth and I canโ€™t temember hearing his name before in this game ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Petracca is a dud. I honestly think Paddy is a much better footballer.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Brayshaw better than both

Nee!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

So similar to our 2018.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: โ†‘Wed 24 Apr 2019 11:16pm So similar to our 2018.
Melbourne players are soft and their coaches have been soft on them. It's backfired

Their players refused to participate in a preseason camp last year and this year it seems that they've drunk their own bathwater instead of sweating their asses off over summer. It wasn't just Steven May that came back underdone apparently

Their coaches had taken it easy on them (or just haven't managed them well) and haven't worked them hard enough. Some of their players must have been playing playstation and computer games like Fortnite more than they were interested in improving their fitness and it tells. Their last halves this year have been pathetic

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: โ†‘Wed 24 Apr 2019 11:52pm
bigred wrote: โ†‘Wed 24 Apr 2019 11:16pm So similar to our 2018.
Melbourne players are soft and their coaches have been soft on them. It's backfired

Their players refused to participate in a preseason camp last year and this year it seems that they've drunk their own bathwater instead of sweating their asses off over summer. It wasn't just Steven May that came back underdone apparently

Their coaches had taken it easy on them (or just haven't managed them well) and haven't worked them hard enough. Some of their players must have been playing playstation and computer games like Fortnite more than they were interested in improving their fitness and it tells. Their last halves this year have been pathetic
I find myself agreeing with both of these assessments. To be honest, I've always felt that Melbourne were "good kids when they were winning" but that, apart from one or two players, they were (as Paul Simon so succinctly put it) "soft in the middle" and when a game is there to be scrapped for, many go missing. Let's face it, (apart from last season) they've been "less than spectacular" now for the best part of almost fifteen years. We've had our share of woes, but not on the consistent level of this club.

St Kilda forever ๐Ÿ”ดโšช๏ธโšซ๏ธ ( God help me)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Check out deamondland - they are in nuclear meltdown at the moment.

I encourage everyone on here to make an account and join in on the conversation as I have.

Loving it!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: โ†‘Thu 25 Apr 2019 8:47am Check out deamondland - they are in nuclear meltdown at the moment.

I encourage everyone on here to make an account and join in on the conversation as I have.

Loving it!
Had a quick look...they have moved past anger into dispair.
Amazing turnaround for a talented list.

Nee!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Unsolicited gratuitous observations:
Oliver and Brayshaw get a lot of the ball but are not particularly damaging, nor Viney. Some Dees players possibly see them as ahead of themselves and not true team players (unlike our mids).
Sides have worked out Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw and Viney. Viney's strength was when he was hunting opposition, now he is the hunted.
Oliver is not a person to like; puts on the tough persona but often "dives" for frees and "oh ump" s a lot. I suspect he is quietly resented by most of the playing group. (Put him forward Simon).
Miss Hogan. Bit arrogant to flick him rather than rehabilitate him.
Clearly had the stuffing and all confidence knocked out of them last September in Perth. Have not recovered.
The claim by Tom Morris On the Couch that there is disfunction in the coaching ranks rings true.
Nathan Jones is an absolute gun and leader and if they think so far has been bad, without him it would be worse.
Other than Dees fans no one cares.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Have to say I wasnโ€™t too impressed with Richmond either.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CarlD
Club Player

Sydney Stack certainly got Viney in the crosshairs last night and went right on through.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

From a different perspective....I got the impression that Melbourne experienced the St Kilda pressure and game strategy last week and made a deliberate effort to copy our game style. This was initially evident at selection, where they dropped 5 in favor of quicker types.

In the first quarter against Richmond, they were fierce and relentless and they ran both ways.....very similar to the way St Kilda played last week....however as the game went on they were unable to break the Tigers and their pressure dropped, then their running slowed.

Then it became apparent they have a dysfunctional forward line.....and the Tigers ultimately prevailed quite comfortably.

And I'm glad we don't have Petracca, there's no doubt Paddy is a better footballer and a better bloke. Without the concussions he'd probably be a regular, solid citizen in our forward line. Petracca on the other hand would frustrate me just like Mav Weller did.

Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

Obviously had too many complaints from their supporters for making them miss the September snow last year.๐Ÿ˜

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I canโ€™t remember a more over hyped team than this Melbourne list.

stkfc1
Club Player

Theyre not fit. Plain and simple. They were gassed by halftime last week. We are super fit. Dont think this has been given enough recognition for our success so far this year. We're running over teams. We'll do the same to the Crows this week.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: โ†‘Thu 25 Apr 2019 8:47am Check out deamondland - they are in nuclear meltdown at the moment.

Loving it!

Lol

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote: โ†‘Thu 25 Apr 2019 9:49am Sydney Stack certainly got Viney in the crosshairs last night and went right on through.
He can play, too. Looks a gun

asiu
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: โ†‘Thu 25 Apr 2019 9:45am Have to say I wasnโ€™t too impressed with Richmond either.
agreed
... were there for the taking

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

We've been going on about our Coach and our Club's decision making and even casting an envious eye towards Melbourne.

The reality is Melbourne are a Club under the AFL's Administration. They have so many Coaches that they need a grandstand for them all. Yet it may be that the succession plan hasn't worked. Richo has coached the pants off Goodwin consistently, in our wins over Melb in recent years, Richo has rendered their usual Ruck dominance a liability, each time in different ways.

They finished last year needing outside silk and speed. Did they throw the kitchen sink at Gaff? No, they went after a fullback instead and traded Hogan and Kent, after dispatching Watts the year before. Now they still need outside silk and speed, but also need an entire forward line. Petracca is the only viable forward they have, Weideman is a good prospect with a long way to go.

Then they fancy themselves as a Premiership contender when they can't defend!

Their response to the roughing up of Max Gawn in Rd 1 was a pathetic joke. Poor widdle Max, so they lineup against Geelong with the mids intent on looking after Max!!!! I thought it works the other way around???

This from a mob who came back for their preseason in crap condition and the year before had called in the Union when training got too tough!!! Their List has a gigantic soft underbelly.

It has taken a few games for Dean Kent to get the Melbourne out of him.