Longer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Longer

Great to have our number one ruckman back in. Our clearance work was so much better with him in the ruck. Basically won us the game in the last quarter.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: Longer

Agree. His tap work was A1, no better example than the feed to Gresham in the last quarter. Big fella deserves some kudos.

Saint supporter since '62
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We were winning the centre clearances all night. Couldn't believe how much of the ball we were getting and ended up 39 points down at one stage.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

A couple of Billy’s taps had to be seen to be believed. There was one he ran at and flew through the air, tapping it metres to either Steven or Armo (can’t recall) who then butchered the kick. But the tap down was spectacular

Always loyal
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Can we somehow genetically merge Longer and Hickey?

portosaint
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 9:37pm Agree. His tap work was A1, no better example than the feed to Gresham in the last quarter. Big fella deserves some kudos.
That tap was actually to Steven, who was held, but don't let that get in the way of a good story.

I agree with the OP to an extent... Tap work was great. Still don't get much from the big fella around the ground, but then if Hick plays we don't get much tap wise. 6 one, half a dozen the other.

In saying this, Gold Coast clearance set ups were and have been horrendous.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Longer is and has been for a while, the best tap ruck at our club and credit where credit is due his centre work was good again tonight.

My fear however is that a win masks the same concerns that have always been there.

2 kicks, 4 handballs, 1 Mark, 3 tackles, 1 turnover from 110min.
He got 33 hitouts.

He’s 25 and pretty much in his prime.

His direct opponent Witts...
6 kicks, 3 handballs, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 40 hitouts, a turn over of his own.

My VFL report of Longer was criticised for suggesting that Longer didn’t have enough influence outside of the middle with the suggestion that he was taking contested mark after contested mark, getting to contest after contest throwing his weight around... he didn’t bring any of that to the table tonight as he just doesn’t play that type of game... he’s simply not a physically imposing player

That being said, at least he seemingly excels in one area of the game which is more than can be said for Hickey at the moment

I don’t know what the answer with our rucks is... Hickey gets more ball, Longer is better in the middle.

My feeling is that neither is the answer. If I have to pick one... well Hickey had a good go and unfortunately hasn’t gotten any better. I think I’d rather see Longer play for now but I still reckon we have to find a way to fit Marshall into this team
Last edited by skeptic on Sat 16 Jun 2018 10:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t appear better or worse than the ruckwork we’ve had for most of the year, and did nothing around the ground. We won the clearances against WCE, so I’m not too excited about beating what appears to be the worst clearance team in the comp.

Witts best him today, and he’s no world beater himself.

AFL footballers need to be able to get a kick around the ground.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 9:52pm That tap was actually to Steven, who was held, ...
Certainly impeded. Just as well they didn't pay the free!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 10:29pm Didn’t appear better or worse than the ruckwork we’ve had for most of the year, and did nothing around the ground. We won the clearances against WCE, so I’m not too excited about beating what appears to be the worst clearance team in the comp.

This proves you have no idea at all.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 9:48pm Can we somehow genetically merge Longer and Hickey?
And get someone who does not tap well and is useless around the ground - no thanks

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Our midfield were second to the ball last week- tonight first to the ball. Longer brings nothing around the ground and can't judge the flight of the ball in contested marking duels at all. Hickey still better value.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 10:43pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 10:29pm Didn’t appear better or worse than the ruckwork we’ve had for most of the year, and did nothing around the ground. We won the clearances against WCE, so I’m not too excited about beating what appears to be the worst clearance team in the comp.

:roll:

I think it’s passed your bedtime old-timer

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I wish people would move away from this type of posting... Dud has offered an opinion and a reason why. If you’re going to insult the man at least say what it is you disagree with.

Say what you will about Stonecold who is by far the biggest Longer fan here, right or wrong he at least backs up what he says and you respect that

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

I thought he was pretty poor, Hickey hasn't been great but he always offers more than that a paltry 6 disposals.

Pretty sure he lost the hit outs to advantage stat or though I have to give him credit for the one to Gresh

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 10:56pm Our midfield were second to the ball last week- tonight first to the ball. Longer brings nothing around the ground and can't judge the flight of the ball in contested marking duels at all. Hickey still better value.
Helps when you have full confidence in knowing where the ball will go. Longers ruck work was A Grade no if’s or buts.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 10:58pm

We were dominate in the clearances and it was on the back of Longers tap work. That last quarter when he kept clearing to Steven in the middle was match winning. But if you want a couple of uncontested marks more good luck to you.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 11:03pm
spert wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 10:56pm Our midfield were second to the ball last week- tonight first to the ball. Longer brings nothing around the ground and can't judge the flight of the ball in contested marking duels at all. Hickey still better value.
Helps when you have full confidence in knowing where the ball will go. Longers ruck work was A Grade no if’s or buts.
No arguments there...

For me the thing is being good a tap work and being able to use your size around the ground should be essentials for a ruck and in Longer and Hickey we don’t have a player that can do both well.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Good game Billy. Very strong around the contest and in the ruck.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
takeaway
Club Player

Longer has to stay in. Real presence in the hitouts and the mids are more confident with him there. As long as he at least negates the other ruckman around the ground he is well ahead of Hickey.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 11:07pm

We were dominate in the clearances and it was on the back of Longers tap work. That last quarter when he kept clearing to Steven in the middle was match winning. But if you want a couple of uncontested marks more good luck to you.
He had a couple of good taps during the game, just as Witts did, and just as every ruckman does in every game. Witts beat him in almost every stat, whether hitouts or disposals, including 5 inside 50s to 1.

We overran a team that hasn’t scored a 4th quarter goal in the last month.

Billy didn’t win one contest around the ground, he halved some and lost some, and was never even a threat of contributing in the forward line.

He can only contribute in one very narrow part of the game, and he’s not even overly impressive at that, which isn’t good enough in 2018.

Let’s see how he goes next game against a decent ruckman and midfield.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 11:25pm

He had a couple of good taps during the game, just as Witts did, and just as every ruckman does in every game. Witts beat him in almost every stat, whether hitouts or disposals, including 5 inside 50s to 1.

Billy didn’t win one contest around the ground, he halved some and lost some, and was never even a threat of contributing in the forward line.

He can only contribute in one very narrow part of the game, and he’s not even overly impressive at that, which isn’t good enough in 2018.

What crap your clutching at straws. Billy was dominant in the ruck with his hit outs. The last to Gresh winning us the game. Witts is no mug and got his numbers up rucking against Austin and co. Longer was easily the winner in the ruck and in the end the difference.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 11:21pm Longer has to stay in. Real presence in the hitouts and the mids are more confident with him there. As long as he at least negates the other ruckman around the ground he is well ahead of Hickey.
We play Melbourne next.

How will Longer go against Gorn?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 11:50pm

What crap your clutching at straws. Billy was dominant in the ruck with his hit outs. The last to Gresh winning us the game. Witts is no mug and got his numbers up rucking against Austin and co. Longer was easily the winner in the ruck and in the end the difference.
If you want to give him a pass mark off one good hit out then that’s fine, I just expect more from a ruckman, like the ability to take a mark or contribute around the ground.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 12:09am
CURLY wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 11:50pm

If you want to give him a pass mark off one good hit out then that’s fine, I just expect more from a ruckman, like the ability to take a mark or contribute around the ground.
He crashed in and contested I don’t know what your issue is. The bloke has given our mids a armchair ride tonight. Couldn’t care less if wasn’t getting one twos across half back. Ask Geelong what they’ed prefer.