Where did it all go wrong?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

silverhalo
Club Player

Where did it all go wrong?

I stumbled across the article in the following link and could not believe how many things we promised back in 2014 that we will not be delivering on:-

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/st- ... 34pma.html

Towards the end of the article, there are 8 key points that the club promised to deliver and they are as follows:-

■Be a top-four side positioned to be a consistent premiership contender.
■Have more than 50,000 members in Australia.
■Have 10,000 members in New Zealand.
■Deliver annual surpluses year-on-year to enable investment in strategic initiatives that will underpin a prosperous future.
■Have an admired culture, built on respect and accountability.
■Broaden their presence in the Bayside region, their heartland.
■Complete the refurbishment of Moorabbin as a football, community and retail hub.
■By 2020, win the club’s second premiership.

Of the 8, point 7 around the refurbishment of Moorabbin is the only success, the way I see it, we failed miserably on all of the other 7. When you're making these predictions, you're really putting yourself under the pump because the supporters get excited and expect the club to follow through - we're keen to go along for the ride and finally get that premiership in 2020! Top 4 by 2018! Snowball's chance in hell of that happening now - we're now back to the drawing board and we need to formulate yet another long term strategy.

This time can we give it people that know what they're doing!

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Where did it all go wrong?

Every single AFL club does this sort of stuff. I would rather the Saints have an ambitious plan (definately over ambitious like the NZ part) rather than have a s*** one or none at all. Just my opinion.

If every club's plan went to plan they would be in the finals every year and winning multiple flags. I don't see anything wrong with the Saints setting ambitious plans. Its easy to pick it apart if it doesn't pan out. Pro sports club all over the world do similar stuff also. I'm sure more fail than succeed.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

How about we get someone in charge who is a no s*** person and doesn't accept failure and makes sure we draft and recruit the best in all fields of the game. No 56 year plan needed.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
repta
Club Player

Sounds like someone has done undergrad marketing subject. Alot of pie in the sky wish list stuff.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote:How about we get someone in charge who is a no s*** person and doesn't accept failure and makes sure we draft and recruit the best in all fields of the game. No 56 year plan needed.
We formulated a plan after the "66" flag. We are only 52 years into it, it's a work in progress with peaks and troughs, well, mostly troughs.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
Bruce G McAbee wrote:How about we get someone in charge who is a no s*** person and doesn't accept failure and makes sure we draft and recruit the best in all fields of the game. No 56 year plan needed.
We formulated a plan after the "66" flag. We are only 52 years into it, it's a work in progress with peaks and troughs, well, mostly troughs.
:lol: :lol: :lol: ha ha ha!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:

Errrrrrrrrrr....... did I say GOLD! :lol: :lol: :lol: ( reaches for fresh incontinence pants ) :lol: :lol: :lol: Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
minneapolis
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote:
We are such a forward looking club. No-one else had a 56 year plan (except the Chinese).

It's a good plan too.

In four years we will see the results!

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.