No improvement?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

No improvement?

AFL ladder 2016 (after six rounds) St Kilda Ladder position: 12th Wins: 2 Draws: 0 Losses:4 Pts for: 553 Pts agst: 625 Percentage: 88.48% Premiership Points: 8

AFL ladder 2017 (after six rounds) St Kilda Ladder position: 9th Wins: 3 Draws: 0 Losses: 3 Pts for: 581 Pts Agst: 548 Precentage: 106.0% Premiership Points: 12

Sorry folks, but for the life of me, I cant see how we are doing worse than 2016, (as some would have us believe) Every indicator there in black and white shows that we are (admittedly slowly) improving!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: No improvement?

thejiggingsaint wrote:AFL ladder 2016 (after six rounds) St Kilda Ladder position: 12th Wins: 2 Draws: 0 Losses:4 Pts for: 553 Pts agst: 625 Percentage: 88.48% Premiership Points: 8

AFL ladder 2017 (after six rounds) St Kilda Ladder position: 9th Wins: 3 Draws: 0 Losses: 3 Pts for: 581 Pts Agst: 548 Precentage: 106.0% Premiership Points: 12

Sorry folks, but for the life of me, I cant see how we are doing worse than 2016, (as some would have us believe) Every indicator there in black and white shows that we are (admittedly slowly) improving!
+1

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Points against is the big area of improvement we are 2 goals better per game than we were last year.

And ...

2016 we had played Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood, Hawthorn, GWS and Melbourne for our 2 wins
2017 we have played Melbourne, West Coast, Brisbane, Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn for 3 wins.

I believe the calibre of the teams we have played this year is better than 2016 (except Hawks). We will definitely know where we are at on Friday.

Remember that our big smackings came at the hands of Interstate teams last year and this year we have pushed WC, and won well at Launceston.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I looked out the window, and the sky is blue.
So I went outside, and danced a little jig :mrgreen: :shock:

Friday could be a Giant headache, but let's wait and see :oops:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yes, Sainter_Dad, this Friday evenings challenge V GWS is one that I am relishing! The point you make re: the "big smackings" is a particularly shrewd one, defensively we are SO much better in 2017, as was seen on the weekend. The backline is ever-so slowly, BUT ever so steadily, starting to gel as a strong unit, and injury-permitting, gives us all great cause for (continued) optimism at the direction the club is moving in.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

NICE one WellardSaint! onya! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If by chance you bump into me at the game, I'd be happy to shake hands and shout you a beer!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:NICE one WellardSaint! onya! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If by chance you bump into me at the game, I'd be happy to shake hands and shout you a beer!
A beer! thanks for the offer!
But as I live in Perth, and don't come over to Melbourne much, it will be flat by the time I get there :cry: :cry:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

:( hey next time! (& there WILL be one!)

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:AFL ladder 2016 (after six rounds) St Kilda Ladder position: 12th Wins: 2 Draws: 0 Losses:4 Pts for: 553 Pts agst: 625 Percentage: 88.48% Premiership Points: 8

Inconclusive.

I think we've improved, but I don't think that will necessarily equate to a climb up the ladder though.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hard to say.
Three clubs will certainly come out of the 8 - Hawks, Swans and Norf.
That means three new spots in the 8

Port, ? and ?

If we arent one of the the 3 'ins' then safe to say we didnt improve.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hard to say.
Three clubs will certainly come out of the 8 - Hawks, Swans and Norf.
That means three new spots in the 8

Port, ? and ?

If we arent one of the the 3 'ins' then safe to say we didnt improve.
It's actually starting to look that way, isn't it.

St Lenny
Club Player

As they say a week can be a long time in footy. Big test this week. We must be able to beat top teams.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

As we are a developing side it is wrong to compare to same time last year. More accurate to look at the final 6 rounds of last year where we were winning plenty of games.

A significant loss to GWS would make us look like flat track bullies - that may well land us 8th spot if we are lucky, but still lots of room for improvement.

A 4 quarter effort and small loss may show signs of improvement from last year, a win definite improvement

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:As they say a week can be a long time in footy. Big test this week. We must be able to beat top teams.
You're not wrong. A week ago all was doom and gloom on here. We beat a bottom three team that had two thrashing already under its belt and suddenly we're finals bound with all the hype of preseason resurrected. We've been beaten well by both competitors for a finals spot and lasted three quarters against a good team. Let's hope we really stake a claim on Friday or the place will get depressed again.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

When asked in 1970 if the French Revolution had been a success, Chairman Mao stated, "It's still too early to tell." Hard to say if we've improved substantially, but Friday night will be a very strong indicator.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Good on Chairman Mao! :lol: :lol: :lol:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Good on Chairman Mao! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have a few dimmies for good luck Jigster, we may need it!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well based on the current ladder we have:

Beaten: 12th, 16th and 17th

Lost to: 3rd, 6th and 8th.

If we are to improve then as the season progresses we need some wins against teams in the 8. If not we will either be treading water or be going backwards.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Well based on the current ladder we have:

Beaten: 12th, 16th and 17th

Lost to: 3rd, 6th and 8th.

If we are to improve then as the season progresses we need some wins against teams in the 8. If not we will either be treading water or be going backwards.
in fairness, we outplayed west coast in west coast and just missed our opportunities, as well as stuv getting a punctured lung. Melbourne should be way higher on the ladder, because with all of Gawn, Lewis and Hogan they are a top 4 team, we played them at the wrong time. geelong was the only one that thoroughly outplayed us

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Proph3t of egan wrote:
in fairness, we outplayed west coast in west coast and just missed our opportunities,
That happened last year too.

ie Hawks in Tassie game last year. We were the better team, but they got the 4 points

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
spert
Saintsational Legend

We are making no progress unless we improve over last year, and to tick that improvement box is to beat a team like GWS, not get close, or miss by a kick etc etc -we need to beat them and get 4 points.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:We are making no progress unless we improve over last year, and to tick that improvement box is to beat a team like GWS, not get close, or miss by a kick etc etc -we need to beat them and get 4 points.
I agree.

Either this game, or the Dogs in 4 weeks are virtually 'must win' games if we've serious about being a finals team and/or improving significantly on last year.

If we'd have beaten one of the West Coast or Geelong, there wouldn't be so much emphasis on these upcoming games. But we didn't, so there is.

IMO.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Our problem last year was we were lsoing to every team above us and beating all below us. We then lost to the Suns, but turned it around to beat the dogs and cats. Still didn't make the 8. This year we need to claim more than a couple of top 8 scalps.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Our problem last year was we were lsoing to every team above us and beating all below us. We then lost to the Suns, but turned it around to beat the dogs and cats. Still didn't make the 8. This year we need to claim more than a couple of top 8 scalps.
We lost to GC in Rd 15, the week after the Cats game.

We were 5-7 before the bye
Then beat Cats, beat Dogs in Rd 18.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Regardless of the result Friday night I believe we have improved. Our improvements have come in defence and midfield. Our forwards are yet to improve, as shown in their goal kicking.