2017 St Kilda FC Skipper - Vote here

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Who would you like to be the St Kilda FC Captain/Co-Captain for 2017-18?

Poll ended at Fri 16 Dec 2016 12:39am

Jack Steven
12%
Jack Newnes
22%
David Armitage
5%
Jarryn Geary
32%
Sebastian Ross
3%
Maverick Weller
18%
Other
8%

Total votes: 65

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

2017 St Kilda FC Skipper - Vote here

So Roo has officially stood aside as Captain. A very selfless move from this all time Club Champion.

Clearly we are going to have a new Captain for the next few year Seasons.

This may be a Co-Captaincy arrangement.

Who is your preference? The Poll allows you to pick two players for those who want a Co-Captaincy.

This is a very difficult choice but we have a very good problem here.

Two years ago I think we all agreed that Armo was probably the only plausible option to take over but now we have 6 blokes who could do the job.

We really have some great leaders.

carn_sainter
Club Player

Re: 2017 St Kilda FC Skipper - Vote here

Me, I voted for Geary.

I really don't see how people think Newnes is a captain. I like Newnes...I think he is a good player, has some great attributes, speed, toughness, nice boot. But I think he is a generally ineffective player...not ineffective, but just not super effective. I don't think he exerts a big influence on games and I think a lot of his touches are fairly unremarkable.

I was surprised to see him finish so high in the B&F too. I watched all but one of our games this season, all the melbourne ones live.

Without wanting to turn this into a Newnes thread can someone (I'm not being facetious or anything) please quickly point out just what I am missing with Jack Newnes. I like him but think he's a little overrated.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:So Roo has officially stood aside as Captain. A very selfless move from this all time Club Champion.

Clearly we are going to have a new Captain for the next few year Seasons.

This may be a Co-Captaincy arrangement.

Who is your preference? The Poll allows you to pick two players for those who want a Co-Captaincy.

This is a very difficult choice but we have a very good problem here.

Two years ago I think we all agreed that Armo was probably the only plausible option to take over but now we have 6 blokes who could do the job.

We really have some great leaders.
Has He?????

Told you all months ago!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:Me, I voted for Geary.

I really don't see how people think Newnes is a captain. I like Newnes...I think he is a good player, has some great attributes, speed, toughness, nice boot. But I think he is a generally ineffective player...not ineffective, but just not super effective. I don't think he exerts a big influence on games and I think a lot of his touches are fairly unremarkable.

I was surprised to see him finish so high in the B&F too. I watched all but one of our games this season, all the melbourne ones live.

Without wanting to turn this into a Newnes thread can someone (I'm not being facetious or anything) please quickly point out just what I am missing with Jack Newnes. I like him but think he's a little overrated.
Newnes' gut running off the ball is elite and you really have to track him to see what he does and how he does it. He is like a pentathlete he does many things well and is constantly on the run. He can run with, run off, go inside, outside and go back or forward.

His presence and persistence and the way he prepares is usually an inspiration to other players and as he matures and the team gets better his game will go up another level.

His current role is selfless and workmanlike but it is obvious that he is pleasing his coaches and playing for the benefit of the squad. His stats are pretty consistent and he has played a wide variety of different roles.

His teammates and coaches say his leadership skills are outstanding. Id say he is a real chance.

Regardless I believe our next premiership captian will emerge in the next 2 years and that it is not likely to be the player who captains next year.

We need a hero.

carn_sainter
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:

Newnes' gut running off the ball is elite and you really have to track him to see what he does and how he does it. He is like a pentathlete he does many things well and is constantly on the run. He can run with, run off, go inside, outside and go back or forward.

His presence and persistence and the way he prepares is usually an inspiration to other players and as he matures and the team gets better his game will go up another level.

His current role is selfless and workmanlike but it is obvious that he is pleasing his coaches and playing for the benefit of the squad. His stats are pretty consistent and he has played a wide variety of different roles.

His teammates and coaches say his leadership skills are outstanding. Id say he is a real chance.

Regardless I believe our next premiership captian will emerge in the next 2 years and that it is not likely to be the player who captains next year.

We need a hero.
Great post, thanks. Watching live, I often complain that I lose detail on the midfielders, exactly who is doing what around the ball. I agree on his versatility, would like to see him be more damaging offensively.

I think Mav Weller is the closest thing we have to a hero on the list at the moment. He has a real appetite for big moments and for responsibility and I would not be surprised if he had a commanding presence around his teammates.

Geary, to whom I gave my vote here, is not a hero. He is the opposite in many ways but the ideal of leadership he encapsulates appeals to me personally.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Not going to Vote - the captain should be #12

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Co-Captains - Gears and Mav... Or Gears and Newnes. Rooey - 'spiritual leader'

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think you're very wrong and the coaches agree!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Can I vote for Riewoldt?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I would like Newnes but he's not ready, would be too much of a burden. Same with Steven so with that in mind It will be Geary, even though I think Newnes will be a better captain down the track.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Can I vote for Riewoldt?
You could but apparently it is not in the best interest of the club.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I've voted for two. Gears for short term and Newnes for long term. I don't care if they share it. They are both rippers.

Always loyal
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think Jack S was inspirational this season when he skippered!

Sanctorum
Club Player

Mav Weller for me: he is easily our "hardest" player, an old fashioned ruck-rover with tremendous energy and elite skills, and at 25 next season will captain the team through the phase (2018-2022) when the Saints are expected to play finals.

I acknowledge that Jarryn Geary has demonstrated on-field leadership in the back half, but at 28 he is unlikely to feature in the finals teams post 2017 as he is likely to be surpassed by the likes of Webster, McKenzie, White, Rice, and Wright.

Seb Ross and Luke Dunstan are 2 others who should come into consideration, and perhaps Jack Billings, if he becomes the elite player he was destined to achieve....

If the club decides to appoint an interim skipper, I would give it to Joey in recognition of the excellent service he has given since he was drafted in 2001 - the embodiment of Sainthood!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Forgot about Dunstan. He stands above everyone at the club except Riewoldt but maybe a tad young. Him or Newnes in the long term.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Danny Frawley was a great captain for StKilda and he wasn't anywhere near our best player. Anybody honestly reckon Plugger or Nicky Winmar would have been a better choice?

So its Gears for me. Great communicator and motivator on the ground. Not our best player but one of our most inspirational. Players would follow him into battle.

Saint supporter since '62
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The great captains inspire

Who is our most inspirational leader....

Through level of performance, level of professionalism, level of behaviour, level of communication, level of empathy, level of courage, ability to challenge, ability to understand when to imprint...

Nick Riewoldt is an amazing leader in almost every measure

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Voted for Roo (other).
no one else of appropriate age is ready. no one better. don't see the need, we went a year too early.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
lintonstreet
Club Player

Mav - tough uncompromising and a natural leader.
Meticulous in his preparation and will demand the same from everyone else.