Our finals equation

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Our finals equation

If North lose by 135 points to GWS and we beat the Lions by 146 points - we make the final eight (assuming Melbourne loses one of their last two). The improbability of this masks how close we have come to playing finals footy. One narrow loss that might have been a win. The game against North was, as we knew at the time, crucial. That loss was not narrow, not because we couldn't get the ball, but because we wasted so many opportunities. Capitalising in crucial games remains the road to ultimate success.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our finals equation

So you're saying there's a chance?
Last edited by 8856brother on Sun 21 Aug 2016 10:52am, edited 1 time in total.

Saintsational Legend

In a shock decision, as it has a direct impact on the finals, the AFL have reviewed the dodgy 15 metre call in the Round 4 clash between Hawthorn and St Kilda, and awarded the four points to St Kilda - St Kilda sneak into the Eight.

On the back of public outcry, the league review the free kick count for the past 5 seasons, and decide to even up the ledger by awarding St Kilda 15 free kicks directly in front of goal 15 metres out, at the commencement of the each game of the finals series. With this unassailable lead in each of the four games they play, the Saints both qualify and smash a helpless Hawthorn outfit in the Grand Final by a record margin of 196 points, nicely rounding out the connection to 1966.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Put simply, bad umpiring without a doubt has prevented us from playing in the finals in 2016

Bring back the Lockett era
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:So you're saying there's a chance?
:D

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Put simply, bad umpiring without a doubt has prevented us from playing in the finals in 2016
Nevertheless, we know we are positioned well outside the 4 in a field of 8 sides all lamenting a kick/ decision either way which would improve their plight.

2019 will be our year. If the next 75 games continue at a rate of improvement equal to the last 75 we should go undefeated to glory that year.

A 40+ point win next week will be enough for me.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Put simply, bad umpiring without a doubt has prevented us from playing in the finals in 2016
3 games were costly in umpiring errors - the Hawks game and both North ones. The first North one was the worst - I still have it marked as a draw (which should've been the actual result thus putting us iin the finals without the % thing) on the FIXture <FIXture edited by mods>

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
3 games were costly in umpiring errors - the Hawks game and both North ones. The first North one was the worst - I still have it marked as a draw (which should've been the actual result thus putting us iin the finals without the % thing) on the fixture
If the North game was a draw, we would still need to win next week and North lose, currently we would still be in 9th due to poor percentage.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote:In a shock decision, as it has a direct impact on the finals, the AFL have reviewed the dodgy 15 metre call in the Round 4 clash between Hawthorn and St Kilda, and awarded the four points to St Kilda - St Kilda sneak into the Eight.

On the back of public outcry, the league review the free kick count for the past 5 seasons, and decide to even up the ledger by awarding St Kilda 15 free kicks directly in front of goal 15 metres out, at the commencement of the each game of the finals series. With this unassailable lead in each of the four games they play, the Saints both qualify and smash a helpless Hawthorn outfit in the Grand Final by a record margin of 196 points, nicely rounding out the connection to 1966.

Always loyal
carn_sainter
Club Player

I agree.

Though no more than some of our own bad performances did.

But it remains the case that had we not been ripped off against North the first time and against Hawthorn that we would be in the eight. Melbourne also got ripped off against North when they played in Tassie...North had a tough draw but should consider themselves very lucky to be in the eight. The dees might pip them yet.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Saturday night will give us the answer !
If a win by a large margin is needed then we would have to be up by 100 points at half time .
If bad really bad Brisbane turn up looking to make sure leppitch gets the arse then this could happen !

In red white and black from 73
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
stevie wrote:
3 games were costly in umpiring errors - the Hawks game and both North ones. The first North one was the worst - I still have it marked as a draw (which should've been the actual result thus putting us iin the finals without the % thing) on the fixture
If the North game was a draw, we would still need to win next week and North lose, currently we would still be in 9th due to poor percentage.
True but the percentage wouldnt be a factor

stevie
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:Saturday night will give us the answer !
If a win by a large margin is needed then we would have to be up by 100 points at half time .
If bad really bad Brisbane turn up looking to make sure leppitch gets the arse then this could happen !
Merrets final game so they won't go out easy

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Have never been sucked in by this hype about lovable Maxy Gawn. Gee, with that beard and cheeky grin and playing the odd good game of footy, not sure how I was able to resist. Same with Hobogan with that awkward farm boy manner.

Their true colours were shown today! Gawn will be languishing in the VFL in a couple of years then back out in the sticks somewhere. He'll become a trivial trivia night question about beards and larrlikins who played footy. Hobogan could be anywhere but I don't see him becoming a gun anytime soon. Call me silly or harsh but the evidence is there this season.

Give me Tom and Paddy anyday. Ok, rant over.

Good to see the Lions fight back against the Sooks! Geebung thought they were in for an easy game when they all look like heroes but hopefully a few of them get smashed - parasites

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
I think Merrets final game is today

― Aristophanes

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
stevie wrote:
I think Merrets final game is today
Final home game. I think hes playing out the season. I watched the vid when he announced it and sure it meant at season end.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Its even easier now with the Melbourne capitulation .
North will rest any player with a slight niggle so they have 3 weeks to prepare for a elimination final .
Also a loss would see them either play GWS again or geelong .
A win could open the door for the wet toast to finish 5th , and I reckon that the last place they would want to play is subiaco .
So Saturday night we will know how much we have to win by
Lets hope its less than 180 :wink:

In red white and black from 73