Jack & Mav

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_President
Club Player

Jack & Mav

I don't think we really have an obviously replacement for Roo if he decides to give up the captaincy.
But if, IF he decides it's time to groom someone else, I think it should go to Steven & Weller as Co-Captains.

I know a lot of people don't agree with Co-Captains, but I think Jack & Mav equal out each others weaknesses.

- Jack is consistent as hell, he never gives up, he never stops running. One of our best players, doesn't appear to be a great speaker nor natural leader. Leads by effort and endeavour.

- Mav won't get as much of the ball, but Jesus Christ does he attack it hard. Goes at it like he's possessed. Hard as anything. The old school lead-from-the-front captain. Can inspire the team from a few efforts - not necessarirly the best player or the most consistent. Seems like a natural leader & someone the people will follow.

Have these two blokes surrounded by Roo, Joey, Armo, Geary and Chips (if he goes again) and they'll be extremely well supported.

Joey, Geary & Chips act as pseudo skippers already

lintonstreet
Club Player

Re: Jack & Mav

The_President wrote:I don't think we really have an obviously replacement for Roo if he decides to give up the captaincy.
But if, IF he decides it's time to groom someone else, I think it should go to Steven & Weller as Co-Captains.

I know a lot of people don't agree with Co-Captains, but I think Jack & Mav equal out each others weaknesses.

- Jack is consistent as hell, he never gives up, he never stops running. One of our best players, doesn't appear to be a great speaker nor natural leader. Leads by effort and endeavour.

- Mav won't get as much of the ball, but Jesus Christ does he attack it hard. Goes at it like he's possessed. Hard as anything. The old school lead-from-the-front captain. Can inspire the team from a few efforts - not necessarirly the best player or the most consistent. Seems like a natural leader & someone the people will follow.

Have these two blokes surrounded by Roo, Joey, Armo, Geary and Chips (if he goes again) and they'll be extremely well supported.

Joey, Geary & Chips act as pseudo skippers already
I like it

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

No issues with this suggestion. I'd be happy with Steven/Geary/Weller or any two of those three.

RODOS
Club Player

3, Co-Captains, one for each line - Geary, Stuv, Mav. Won't happen though..

This race for the captaincy has taken those in contention to the next level. Geary, Steven, Mav, even Armo (he's injured but his intensity has lifted) and Newnes are playing like men possessed. It will drive the entire preseason too, and will be the reason we make the finals (if we make the finals).

Mav for me is probably leading the pack with his attack on the contest and self belief (good media performer). Jack deserves it on work ethic alone. Geary is a rock. And I like the idea of Newnes too as he has a good connection with the younger bunch.

I think we're in a fantastic place. And it's a result of our recruiting philosophy, a great head coach, and our fantastic off field leadership headed up by Finnis.