Spencer White

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Spencer White

Had an interesting chat with someone who has some links to the club. From the information he gave me (and I can't actually verify it), Spencer was doing his own personal tanking after a Melbourne based club had got into his ear during 2014. Apparently, coaching staff were aware and thought "Stuff it, you can play at Sandy seconds". Don't be surprised is he bobs up at new club next year and amazingly finds the missing endurance and motivation that were sadly lacking at the Saints.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Spencer White

cwrcyn wrote:Had an interesting chat with someone who has some links to the club. From the information he gave me (and I can't actually verify it), Spencer was doing his own personal tanking after a Melbourne based club had got into his ear during 2014. Apparently, coaching staff were aware and thought "Stuff it, you can play at Sandy seconds". Don't be surprised is he bobs up at new club next year and amazingly finds the missing endurance and motivation that were sadly lacking at the Saints.
Strange if true. So is he entering the PSD or the ND?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Had an interesting chat with someone who has some links to the club. From the information he gave me (and I can't actually verify it), Spencer was doing his own personal tanking after a Melbourne based club had got into his ear during 2014. Apparently, coaching staff were aware and thought "Stuff it, you can play at Sandy seconds". Don't be surprised is he bobs up at new club next year and amazingly finds the missing endurance and motivation that were sadly lacking at the Saints.
If true, that is a shame. Spencer has a great deal of natural ability, certainly enough to make it at AFL level. I know of some of his personal sttruggles and they are not insignificant. I know the club has extended every resource and support possible, so to hear he may have been training with a view to leaving might just indicate we are better off without him. What sort of person would be that devious? If true, and it's a big IF, then I say good luck to whoever takes him on. All I'll say is both he and his mum are what might be described as "high maintenance"!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Playon
Club Player

Supposed club Collingwood?
He'd be pretty stupid to do that, if that as the case he could tank his way out of a career

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Strange if true. So is he entering the PSD or the ND?
Delisted Free agent I would assume.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Supposed club Collingwood?
He'd be pretty stupid to do that, if that as the case he could tank his way out of a career
Could be the filth if true. They were keen on drafting him with one of their three picks 18 to 20, but in the end opted for other players.

Although If he is a delisted free agent anyone can pick him up.

Playon
Club Player

Well wild rumour that pies are interested in Markworth or White in the PDS
I dont put much stock into any of this though. lots of these sort of rumours going around

I'll believe it when I see it, dunno about the tanking

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Line him up first bounce.
If true could've got another full season of training into someone who wants to play for us.
Hat a waste.
Line him up and let him know about it too with some verbal.

Only if true of course.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I find this incredibly hard to believe for a variety of reasons:

1) He was pick 40 or something wasn't he - he's not an elite talent - why would he risk a lucrative AFL career at what could be his only chance?
2) ST Kilda has been crying out for a new tall forward for ages - the opportunity was wide open for him to cement a spot
3) The rumours about him struggling to develop a decent tank have been around almost as soon as he started - its not a recent phenomena
4) Footy is an incestuous business, stuff gets around at the speed of light. Word goes round that he's not trying - his AFL and VFL career go down the drain - its one thing coaches can't stand
5) If he wanted out why not just request a trade instead of playing possum for 2 years and having his reputation trashed - couldn't even make it into the firsts at the bottom spooners

There may be another team interested but his inability to develop an AFL level tank and asthma/breathing problems aren't put on. Even in the Richmond game he barely left the fwd 50 . This sounds like ridiculous scuttlebutt. Leave the kid alone. WE are still obsessed with this fantasy of Spencer being the next Buddy and terrified its going to happen at another club. We've got to move on.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Pick 25, but I agree with Bluthy.

And if he did "lie dogo for 2 years" then he will not make it at his new club either.

Remember that MOST players only last several years at an AFL Club.

To be an elite athlete in any sport is a tough gig, and making it in the AFL being an elite athlete, and requires huge committment from the individual, and most people simply do not want to work that hard for all sorts of reasons. It is actually "normal" to not make it to the highest level.

Most do not make it, and that is the reality. White always came with question marks, and the question marks have won out.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Do people realise how hard it is to get on an AFL list?

Some guys would probably give their left testical to get on a list.

How does someone who can't get a game tank their own performance?

You actually need to play well to attract attention.

If he did it then I doubt he would tell anyone.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Let me present an alternative strategy...

Do your best, be a better player, quit when ur contract is up, get traded to ur new club as a better player on more pay

Don't think i believe this

ace
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Well wild rumour that pies are interested in Markworth or White in the PDS
I dont put much stock into any of this though. lots of these sort of rumours going around

I'll believe it when I see it, dunno about the tanking
No need to use a PDS pick. You simply pick them up as delisted free agents - St Kilda gets nothing.
Just like we did with Roberton.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Spence just does not have the ticker or the tank. Watching him at Sandy and seeing the support given by his teammates, all I can say is he'll never make it and doesn't really care if he does!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

If only we hadn't delisted him.....

We could have held him against his will and demanded a top 5 pick.....cause he's a KPF and future all Australian!!!!

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Do people realise how hard it is to get on an AFL list?

Some guys would probably give their left testical to get on a list.

How does someone who can't get a game tank their own performance?

You actually need to play well to attract attention.

If he did it then I doubt he would tell anyone.
Agreed. We need more players without left testicles.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I guess your not making this up but the 'Stuff it he can play Sandy seconds but we will give you a run at the end of the season, doesn't make much sense. Are we this bored?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Geez 'attitude' gets flown around like no tomorrow when a player doesn't make it.

It's never that the player just isn't good enough or deficient in critical areas.

It's always just cos he didn't want it enough.

ace
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:If only we hadn't delisted him.....

We could have held him against his will and demanded a top 5 pick.....cause he's a KPF and future all Australian!!!!
I don't think the paperwork has gone through, I think he officially gets delisted at the end of October.
We could offer him in a direct player trade for Carlisle.
Key position player for key position player.
If we throw in some steak knives I am sure Dildo will go for it.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'd be pretty shocked if any of this was true.

He's probably no more or less than a young man trying to make his way in the game and, for whatever, reason, it didn't happen with us.

I just wish him all the best with his personal troubles, if indeed there are any, and hope he can get his life in order and play some good footy somewhere in the future.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I'd be pretty shocked if any of this was true.

He's probably no more or less than a young man trying to make his way in the game and, for whatever, reason, it didn't happen with us.

I just wish him all the best with his personal troubles, if indeed there are any, and hope he can get his life in order and play some good footy somewhere in the future.
+1

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

+1
Same here. Life's not been easy for young Spencer, that's for sure. I hope he comes good before it's too late.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

+1
Same here. Life's not been easy for young Spencer, that's for sure. I hope he comes good before it's too late.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Spence just does not have the ticker or the tank. Watching him at Sandy and seeing the support given by his teammates, all I can say is he'll never make it and doesn't really care if he does!
You could stick a fork in him. He's done!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
St Chris wrote:If only we hadn't delisted him.....

I don't think the paperwork has gone through, I think he officially gets delisted at the end of October.
We could offer him in a direct player trade for Carlisle.
Key position player for key position player.
If we throw in some steak knives I am sure Dildo will go for it.
How many points is he worth ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?