Should the remainder of this round be cancelled?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Should the remainder of this round be cancelled?

Thanks to Kosi I've been forced to create this thread so we can discuss this issue due tithe tragic passing of PW.

IMO the round should continue with a minutes silence at each game for PW.

I assume the Adelaide game will be called off and 2 points given to each side.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Should the remainder of this round be cancelled?

To late to cancel this round and I think they should play anyway. As for the other game well that should be left solely up to the players from Adelaide. The AFL will do what Adelaide want. The best idea is when they both play each other next it becomes a 8 point game. I think its the last round of the season. 2 points to each side is unfortunately unfair for Geelong and 4 points each is unfair to many other sides. I know people will say who cares at the moment and that is right but people will care come round 23. Just remember when Phil Hughes died cricket was going to change but its back exactly where it was before his death.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

no

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I think it should be cancelled/postponed. Phil Walsh had connections with so many players from different clubs. The mental state of so many young men must be all over the place right now. To then go ask them to play in a game that now might seem totally meaningless seems selfish to me. I see people saying "oh well that would be want Phil wanted" to play on. How on earth would anyone know that and dare to presume.

I hear others say stuff along the lines of "we should carry on" sorry that belongs to a different age where grieving was NOT handled correctly. Playing a game of footy will do nothing to make these young boys feel better.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Nope.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Why?

Crows v Geelong probably should be postponed, but the rest of the round should go ahead

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:I think it should be cancelled/postponed. Phil Walsh had connections with so many players from different clubs. The mental state of so many young men must be all over the place right now. To then go ask them to play in a game that now might seem totally meaningless seems selfish to me. I see people saying "oh well that would be want Phil wanted" to play on. How on earth would anyone know that and dare to presume.

I hear others say stuff along the lines of "we should carry on" sorry that belongs to a different age where grieving was NOT handled correctly. Playing a game of footy will do nothing to make these young boys feel better.

But sitting at home could be even worse. They will surely play all gamea except probably the Adelaide game but if the players want to play that then that should also be played. And I think those who know Phil would know what he would have wanted. I certainly know the feeling of my family and most good friends on certain topics.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

No. Life goes on as it must. I think maybe Adelaide and Geelong get two points each and the rest of the games go ahead as scheduled.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:I think it should be cancelled/postponed. Phil Walsh had connections with so many players from different clubs. The mental state of so many young men must be all over the place right now. To then go ask them to play in a game that now might seem totally meaningless seems selfish to me. I see people saying "oh well that would be want Phil wanted" to play on. How on earth would anyone know that and dare to presume.

But sitting at home could be even worse. They will surely play all gamea except probably the Adelaide game but if the players want to play that then that should also be played. And I think those who know Phil would know what he would have wanted. I certainly know the feeling of my family and most good friends on certain topics.
Did I say sit at home? What if say half the West Coast side say they don't feel that they can play, what happens then. What happens if the young men decide they want to play for Phil , get half way through the game and think, this does not feel right, my heart is not in it.

There are too many factors at play

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Walsh would have wanted them to play I suspect.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Did I say sit at home? What if say half the West Coast side say they don't feel that they can play, what happens then. What happens if the young men decide they want to play for Phil , get half way through the game and think, this does not feel right, my heart is not in it.

There are too many factors at play

No you didn't say sit at home. I obviously did. What happens if the WC players want to play? What happens if they decide they want to play for Phil and get half way through the game and then are even more inspired? We know nothing about how the players feel. I think all the clubs are having a conference at the moment and im sure they will make the right decision what ever that is.

in for the long haul
Club Player

The round should be cancelled.

It is simply too much to ask the many people across many teams who will have been seriously impacted by this death to front up this weekend.

While I appreciate the "game must go on "sentiments I don't think this is a case for that approach.

It was a fitting tribute after Philip Hughes tragic accident that cricket around the world paused.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

It seems the rest of the round is going ahead with two points each to Geelong and Adelaide.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Very difficult question, and I'm glad I don't have to make the call. I imagine a lot of the players would think it is the right thing to play. But imagine what effect lining up for a minutes silence might have on them.
Then there's the Geelong players...how do you attack the man with the ball with the same intent? Would you feel guilty if you won?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

McLachlan: The premiership points will be split between the two clubs as per the AFL rules. The remaining seven games will go ahead.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

For me it's
Play the round
Geelong are prepared to play and if cancelled deserve 4 points
Adelaide players can't be expected to play but it's not their fault and I believe you give them 2 points as well.
I know 6 points for a game would be unprecedented but so is the situation.
That could also be extended to the next round too.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

If i was head poobah
I would get cats and crows to line up normally for the game
When the ball is bounced the geelong players just hug their opponent and walk them back to the centre for a minutes,silence
Then walk off
No score - draw

But then i wake up every morning hoping there will be peace in the world

Seeya
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:If i was head poobah
I would get cats and crows to line up normally for the game
When the ball is bounced the geelong players just hug their opponent and walk them back to the centre for a minutes,silence
Then walk off
No score - draw

But then i wake up every morning hoping there will be peace in the world
I like that

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote:McLachlan: The premiership points will be split between the two clubs as per the AFL rules. The remaining seven games will go ahead.
Sensible decision.

May be a bit unfair on Geelong, but thems the breaks, sometimes life matters are more important than football.

Gives the Adelaide players a chance to regroup, grieve, attend the funeral, and get their life and profession back on track.

You are garbage - Enough said
chook23
Saintsational Legend

draws are rarely played........

if the game was not to be played...............the afl IMO should have applied what they expect minor leagues to do when there is an imbalance of games due to byes or a cancellation of a game......for various reasons ie (ground unfit etc)

..There are rules if a game has commenced but cancelled prior to halftime both sides given 2 points.

If it occurs after halftime.................the scores stand at the time of cancellation ane the team scores are final and if a team is leading they are awarded the 4 pts.

I think to be fairer to all CLUBS should have applied the match ratio formula.

ie percentage of games played and percentage won
Last edited by chook23 on Fri 03 Jul 2015 3:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Great post sunsaint.

sasaint
Club Player

IMO the AFL got this one right. Proper respect. All coaches will I expect wear black armbands in respect.

Patience young grasshopper
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:McLachlan: The premiership points will be split between the two clubs as per the AFL rules. The remaining seven games will go ahead.
Sensible decision.

May be a bit unfair on Geelong, but thems the breaks, sometimes life matters are more important than football.

Gives the Adelaide players a chance to regroup, grieve, attend the funeral, and get their life and profession back on track.
F*ck Geelong. They are 10th and the Crows are 7th and it is an AO game. Geelong would not have won.
Clearly its Adelaide who are the losers in this situation all around.

bergsone
SS Life Member

IMO the round should not be cancelled,heaven forbid but what if something similar happens again,1 2 3 times in one season it would be chaos.As for the 2 points each would not be a happy cats fan if missed finals by 2 points

Anyway there is no easy solution

spert
Saintsational Legend

No easy solution to this tragic event, no definite best outcome, and we just need to be tolerant.