Our recruiting has let us down Pt1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Austinnn
Club Player

Our recruiting has let us down Pt1

Not really anything new, but let's just remember where we're coming from here.

I'll start with 2005-2010. I rushed this, so I might have got bits wrong. Rookies in italics, trades in bold.

2005: Watts, Gilbert, Rix, Raymond, Sweeney, Corr, Pfitzner.
OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE: Marc Murphy, Dale Thomas, X Ellis, Josh Kennedy, Pendlebury, Dowler, Ryder, M Clark, Higgins, N Jones, Hurn, Birchall, Varcoe, Vince, A Swallow, Toovey, Duffield, Priddis,

2006: Birss, Gardiner, J Allen, Armitage, Howard, Matt Ferguson, M Clarke, Clint Jones, Luke van Rheenen, Eddy, James Wall, Geary, Jayden Attard
OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE: B Gibbs, Gumbleton, L Hansen, Leuenberger, T Boak, M Thorp, J Selwood, B Reid, N Brown, J Frawley, J Riewoldt, Hampson, L Jetta, Grigg, Dawes, E MacKenzie, Petterd, K Tippett, Goldstein, JP Kennedy, Hawkins, Houli, L Thomas, R Gray, Goldsack, Westoff, Jesse White, Thurgood, Leigh Adams, Wellingham, Suckling, Macaffer, Harbrow, J Tippett

2007: King, Charlie Gardiner, Schneider, Dempster, McEvoy, Jack Steven, Gehrig (reboot), E Connors, G Chivers, L Miles, McQualter, Haretuku
OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE: Kreuzer, Cotchin, Masten, C Morton, Palmer, Henderson, Dangerfield, Veszpremi, Cioli, Ebert, Grimes, Lobbe, H Taylor, Rance, C Ward, S Selwood, Pears, Greenwood, M Westhoff, Scott Thompson, Mayne, E Wood, C Hooker, C Bird, K Bradley, Taylor Walker, Bellchambers, N Grima, E Curnow, Mumford

2008: Ray, T Lynch, R Stanley, N Heyne, Alistair Smith, Paul Cahill, Colm Begley, Z Dawson, T Simpkin, S Gaertner, Tungatulum, McGarry, B McGrath
OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE: Watts, Naitanui, Hill, M Hurley, Yarran, Rich, Vickery, Wiebell, Sidebottom, A Cordy, M Brown, Schoenmakers, Shuey, Ballantyne, Trengrove, Zaharkis Wuban, Redden, Beams, Hannebery, Roughhead, Liam Jones, L Shiels, Z Clarke, S Motlop, Banfield, Sloane, M Walters, Corneilus, Tom Lee, Shane Savage, J Garlett, Robin Nahas, Luke Delaney, J Blair, L Picken, Luke Breust, G Broughton

2009: Lovett, Peake, Winmar, Jesse W Smith, Pattison, W Johnson, M Hutchings, D Archer, Tommy Walsh
OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE: Scully, J Trengrove, D Martin, Morabito, J Butcher, Talia, L Jetta, D Menzel, N Fyfe, Bastinac, K Stevens, J Carlile, A Black, T Coyler, Gunston, S Reid, Christensen, R Ah Chee, M Barlow, Skipper, Crameri, Casboult, Podsiadly

J Cripps, Sam Crocker, Ledger, Siposs, Gamble, Polo, Simpkin, Curren, Andreoli, J Ferguson,
OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE: D Swallow, Bennell, Day, Gaff, J Polec, Conca, Caddy, Happell, Presita, T Lynch (GC), B Smith, Smedts, Jacobs, I Smith, Lamb, M Wallis, Karnezis, Darling, Howe, P McCarthy, L Parker, Tom Liberatore, L Mitchell, Mitchie, Fasolo, T McDonald, Puopolo, Hitchcock, Seedsman, J Giles, Curnow, Dahlhaus

This is NOT an "If we'd only done Y instead of X" thread, many of these players were unavailable to us, lots of different reasons why it went that way.

All I'm doing here is reminding us all of our history so we can understand why our list looks so bad compared to others.

Regarding the OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE sections, I'm only selecting the names I've heard a bit about in the last few years, not taking much time to judge if they've been that successful or not. I think we can all agree that our recruiting has mostly delivered us to where we are.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our recruiting has let us down Pt1

This has been covered to death for over a year now.

Some of them were going for flag top ops. 2007 was OK and we still have Schneids, Dumpster, Steven and Armo so that's something. McEvoy and Stanley ontraded also, together with Lynch, Tommy Walsh, Cripps - which we got something for.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Austinnn
Club Player

Read the 2nd last and 3rd last paragraphs again.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
elizabethr
Club Player

Oh dear.

nothing to say
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think a lot of us on here have already worked through these horrendous years of misses...

I can't think about any more, so many woeful mistakes, thankfully we recruited very well in the past 3 or 4 years.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Cant wait for part Deux.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:

All I'm doing here is reminding us all of our history so we can understand why our list looks so bad compared to others.
Do you really believe that by now that there is any StKilda fan who is unaware of how inept our recruiting was, and in particular of kids, was for so long?

If you fail to keep bringing in quality any team will slide, and to do it as badly as we did over many years then you slide all the way.

We then deliberately deepened the slide in order to, in theory, quicken the rebuild. Keeping Dal and BJ would probably have avoided getting the spoon as quickly as we did, but we would most likely have struggled for all the longer as our rot was terminal.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Thanks for the reminder .... :( :( :( :(

This is still quite a touchy subject clearly, but we all wouldn't give a toss if things went different.

Gershwin
Club Player

I think it is a fair bit more complicated than just recruiting.
Once recruited the player needs to be developed - physically and mentally. He needs to feel part of the squad and understand expectations. He needs to feel comfortable and accept playing in the VFL if necessary. He needs encouragement and acceptance from senior players. He needs mentoring and leadership. He needs to know where to go to get a decent latte in Seaford.
Its not just about recruiting.

summertime and the living is easy ........
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Haha, that photo... Crippa and Sippa look like they should be making an Australian version of Dumb and Dumber

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:I think it is a fair bit more complicated than just recruiting.
Once recruited the player needs to be developed - physically and mentally. He needs to feel part of the squad and understand expectations. He needs to feel comfortable and accept playing in the VFL if necessary. He needs encouragement and acceptance from senior players. He needs mentoring and leadership. He needs to know where to go to get a decent latte in Seaford.
Its not just about recruiting.
But you can't turn cow manure into caviar remember.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Yes it's been raked over plenty of times. But it is good to not forget what a total disaster 2008, 2009 and 2010 were. 09 and 10 especially. Oh lord. Thanks Ross. Good to be reminded that the hole on our list in the mid 20's age group came from this.

Saint wagga
Club Player

dragit wrote:I think a lot of us on here have already worked through these horrendous years of misses...

I can't think about any more, so many woeful mistakes, thankfully we recruited very well in the past 3 or 4 years.
Hey Dragit - I'm happy to agrree that we have recruited very well in the last 2 years...plenty of really good talent IMO already showing plenty, but 3-4 years, i'm not so sure...I think the jury is still deliberating as to weather our 2011 and 2012 crop bear plenty of fruit...it's the guys like Ross, Wright, Murdoch, White, Saunders and the rookies taken in those years, shenton, minch etc come one and become good players...I reckon if say 2-3 of those can elevate and become 150+ ga,mers I'd call it very good recruiting, but if only 1 or even none (which is a possibility) of that group develop into above average/good to very good AFL players, then those years could go the way of the mid to late 2000's IMO...like is said, agree the last 2 drafts, we have dont really well, especially with a few 'steal' type players...which hopefully fall into the Sam Fisher type, or the Andrew thompson type, ie: excellent player for not much draft value.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Griggsy wrote:Thanks for the reminder .... :( :( :( :(

This is still quite a touchy subject clearly, but we all wouldn't give a toss if things went different.
Exactly, one to even two premierships and no one would be criticising recruiters or recruits, and let's face it, it could easily have been one or two.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Not really anything new, but let's just remember where we're coming from here.

I'll start with 2005-2010. I rushed this, so I might have got bits wrong. Rookies in italics, trades in bold.

2005: Watts, Gilbert, Rix, Raymond, Sweeney, Corr, Pfitzner.
OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE: Marc Murphy, Dale Thomas, X Ellis, Josh Kennedy, Pendlebury, Dowler, Ryder, M Clark, Higgins, N Jones, Hurn, Birchall, Varcoe, Vince, A Swallow, Toovey, Duffield, Priddis,

2006: Birss, Gardiner, J Allen, Armitage, Howard, Matt Ferguson, M Clarke, Clint Jones, Luke van Rheenen, Eddy, James Wall, Geary, Jayden Attard
OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE: B Gibbs, Gumbleton, L Hansen, Leuenberger, T Boak, M Thorp, J Selwood, B Reid, N Brown, J Frawley, J Riewoldt, Hampson, L Jetta, Grigg, Dawes, E MacKenzie, Petterd, K Tippett, Goldstein, JP Kennedy, Hawkins, Houli, L Thomas, R Gray, Goldsack, Westoff, Jesse White, Thurgood, Leigh Adams, Wellingham, Suckling, Macaffer, Harbrow, J Tippett

2007: King, Charlie Gardiner, Schneider, Dempster, McEvoy, Jack Steven, Gehrig (reboot), E Connors, G Chivers, L Miles, McQualter, Haretuku
OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE: Kreuzer, Cotchin, Masten, C Morton, Palmer, Henderson, Dangerfield, Veszpremi, Cioli, Ebert, Grimes, Lobbe, H Taylor, Rance, C Ward, S Selwood, Pears, Greenwood, M Westhoff, Scott Thompson, Mayne, E Wood, C Hooker, C Bird, K Bradley, Taylor Walker, Bellchambers, N Grima, E Curnow, Mumford

2008: Ray, T Lynch, R Stanley, N Heyne, Alistair Smith, Paul Cahill, Colm Begley, Z Dawson, T Simpkin, S Gaertner, Tungatulum, McGarry, B McGrath
OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE: Watts, Naitanui, Hill, M Hurley, Yarran, Rich, Vickery, Wiebell, Sidebottom, A Cordy, M Brown, Schoenmakers, Shuey, Ballantyne, Trengrove, Zaharkis Wuban, Redden, Beams, Hannebery, Roughhead, Liam Jones, L Shiels, Z Clarke, S Motlop, Banfield, Sloane, M Walters, Corneilus, Tom Lee, Shane Savage, J Garlett, Robin Nahas, Luke Delaney, J Blair, L Picken, Luke Breust, G Broughton

2009: Lovett, Peake, Winmar, Jesse W Smith, Pattison, W Johnson, M Hutchings, D Archer, Tommy Walsh
OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE: Scully, J Trengrove, D Martin, Morabito, J Butcher, Talia, L Jetta, D Menzel, N Fyfe, Bastinac, K Stevens, J Carlile, A Black, T Coyler, Gunston, S Reid, Christensen, R Ah Chee, M Barlow, Skipper, Crameri, Casboult, Podsiadly

J Cripps, Sam Crocker, Ledger, Siposs, Gamble, Polo, Simpkin, Curren, Andreoli, J Ferguson,
OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE: D Swallow, Bennell, Day, Gaff, J Polec, Conca, Caddy, Happell, Presita, T Lynch (GC), B Smith, Smedts, Jacobs, I Smith, Lamb, M Wallis, Karnezis, Darling, Howe, P McCarthy, L Parker, Tom Liberatore, L Mitchell, Mitchie, Fasolo, T McDonald, Puopolo, Hitchcock, Seedsman, J Giles, Curnow, Dahlhaus

This is NOT an "If we'd only done Y instead of X" thread, many of these players were unavailable to us, lots of different reasons why it went that way.

Regarding the OTHER PLAYERS OF NOTE sections, I'm only selecting the names I've heard a bit about in the last few years, not taking much time to judge if they've been that successful or not. I think we can all agree that our recruiting has mostly delivered us to where we are.
Tell us something we don't know.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

dont panic

sloaney is coming...............

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Anyway, Lyon looked happy with the recruits - he's beaming in the pic.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Yes it's been raked over plenty of times. But it is good to not forget what a total disaster 2008, 2009 and 2010 were. 09 and 10 especially. Oh lord. Thanks Ross. Good to be reminded that the hole on our list in the mid 20's age group came from this.
This thread needs my make clarky to go into bat for Ro$$co

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
dragit wrote:I think a lot of us on here have already worked through these horrendous years of misses...

Hey Dragit - I'm happy to agrree that we have recruited very well in the last 2 years...plenty of really good talent IMO already showing plenty, but 3-4 years, i'm not so sure...I think the jury is still deliberating as to weather our 2011 and 2012 crop bear plenty of fruit...it's the guys like Ross, Wright, Murdoch, White, Saunders and the rookies taken in those years, shenton, minch etc come one and become good players...I reckon if say 2-3 of those can elevate and become 150+ ga,mers I'd call it very good recruiting, but if only 1 or even none (which is a possibility) of that group develop into above average/good to very good AFL players, then those years could go the way of the mid to late 2000's IMO...like is said, agree the last 2 drafts, we have dont really well, especially with a few 'steal' type players...which hopefully fall into the Sam Fisher type, or the Andrew thompson type, ie: excellent player for not much draft value.
I just don't think it's reasonable to expect to nail every pick - every club has failures drafting nearly every year.

2011 - Webster, Newnes, Ross (markworth, shenton)*
2012 - Wright , White, Murdoch, Saunders, Pierce

I think these are pretty decent selections, while it is still too early to call, particularly 2012 - I think there will be a few 100+ game players from those 2 drafts which is a success in my book, considering most players that get drafted never reach 50 games.

At this stage I reckon Hawthorn have maybe 1 player recruited from the 2011 & 2012 drafts that looks likely to make a long career - in Brad Hill.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Yes it's been raked over plenty of times. But it is good to not forget what a total disaster 2008, 2009 and 2010 were. 09 and 10 especially. Oh lord. Thanks Ross. Good to be reminded that the hole on our list in the mid 20's age group came from this.
Maybe some of the blame can be put on RL for 09 but to this day I think Lovett was worth the chance. Cant see how you can blame him for 10 though and I still say this, if you look at our recruiting of kids for the last 8 years before the last 3 I don't blame RL for not trusting the recruiters and going for recycled players. Anyway it could be a blessing. Had we got some good picks in that era we may have just ended up a middle of the road side. Now we are forced back to the bottom and most of kids come up at similar times if we get our recruiting right this time.

FQF
SS Life Member

The topic of drafting pre-2011 has been done to death and analysed from every possible angle. Whichever way you look at it, it was a trainwreck.

However, 2011-2012 is worthy of discussion and continuous review. The success of these 2 years will play a big role in determining our future success.

IN________________________OUT

Saad______________________ Crozier
Milera_____________________ Lynch
Ross_______________________ Walsh
Newnes____________________ Dawson
Markworth
Webster
Lever
Maister
Dunell
Shenton
Staley
Minchington

IN________________________ OUT

Roberton__________________ Goddard
Lee______________________ Jaksch
Hickey____________________ Jesse Lonergan
TDL_______________________ Tanner Smith
Wright ____________________ Tim Sumner
White______________________ Cripps
Murdoch ___________________ Brant Colledge
Saunders ___________________ Membrey (redrafted in 2014)
Pierce

2011 saw a huge number of new players come into the club with an emphasis on regenerating the youth (filling the age gap as they said at the time). It was somewhat of a scatter-gun approach and I would say at this point it looks like we were extremely successful.

2012 saw us lose Goddard but most of the players drafted with picks we gave away have been underwhelming (and we got Membrey back for nothing). Most of the players we drafted ourselves though are still very unproven.

At this early stage, I'd say they were good years and were instrumental in turning over our list and addressing our age and salary cap problems.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote: Image
samoht wrote:Anyway, Lyon looked happy with the recruits - he's beaming in the pic.
Is he smiling, or is he muttering something under his breath? :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Austinnn wrote: Image
samoht wrote:Anyway, Lyon looked happy with the recruits - he's beaming in the pic.
Is he smiling, or is he muttering something under his breath? :wink:

I think you will find he was telling Jamie Cripps to get out of the picture.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

plugger66 wrote: I think you will find he was telling Jamie Cripps to get out of the picture.

And this is what he whispered under his breath to him ...

Go West Young Man! ... (but he forgot to add .. "to Freo")

I'm blazing a trail that leads to vice
So easily enticed
By darker means
When out of the wilderness of choice
I hear that one still voice
Call to me

Go west young man
Go west young man
When the evil go east
Go west young man
Go west young man
Find a heart that's golden

Why must I wander like a cloud
Following the crowd
Well I don't know
But I'm asking for the will to fight
To wear the crown of life
And you say go

Go west young man
Go west young man
When the evil go east
Go west young man
Go west young man
Find a heart that's golden .. and a purse that's full

Go west young man
Go west young man
When the evil go east
Go west young man
Go west young man

Go west young man
Go west young man
Go west young man
Go west young man

The mind is weak the heart is frail
When it goes beyond the pale
So unwise, yeah

Go west young man
Go west young man
When the evil go east
Go west young man
Go west young man

Go west young man
Go west young man
When the evil go east
Go west young man
Go west young man

Go west young man
Go west young man
When the evil go east
Go west young man
Go west young man

Go west young man

Songwriters
SMITH/KIRKPATRICK

Read more: Michael W. Smith - Go West Young Man Lyrics | MetroLyrics

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Do we have to drag out the past again?

What's done is done, we have learnt from it, and moved on.

Time to look to the future.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.