Captain Armo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Captain Armo

2007 - 2008: averaged 9.6 disposals per game
2009 - 2011: averaged 15.4 disposals per game
2012 - 2014: averaged 21.3 disposals per game
2015 so far: averaging 31.2 disposals per game

His three biggest ever games have all happened in the first five rounds this year. Not to mention he's averaging 5.6 tackles, 12.8 contested possessions, 4.8 inside 50s. And has kicked 4 goals in those 5 games.

I must admit I haven't rated him that highly in the past. He still might not be right up there with the absolute best in the competition (though that gap is closing).

But if he can keep it up he's surely our next captain?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Captain Armo

He was awesome today, his work in close was a standout.
His fitness has been a work in progress but he is elite fitness now and it shows….

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

He is finally fit and running on top of the ground and is playing like a true captain!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

He was imence today, and has been all year. Really felt for him when the siren went. Has stood up when we needed someone to after losing Lenny.

He was often described as the replacement for Luke Ball and for a long time I though that was wishful thinking, but now! Ball was excellent for us early in his career, but Armo is certainly showing how good he is in his prime.

1ac46a38
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

BOG by a fair margin today and displayed footy smarts throuhout.

Saint supporter since '62
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Imagine when Billings body matures. He will be as tough as Armo but more skilled

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:Imagine when Billings body matures. He will be as tough as Armo but more skilled

I am imagining. He will never be as strong as Armo, who is a beast kg for kg.

I would rather see Billings work on his skills, which are considerable but, too often, poorly executed. Nothing at all wrong with Armo's skill level the way he is playing.

Saint supporter since '62
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Armo has good skills, certainly one of the best in our side currently.
Don't underestimate his skill...

FQF
SS Life Member

I reckon this entire forum was in agreement that Armo had hit his ceiling at B grade standard. Yet, to our delight it might be time to reassess. Judging off his 5 games this season and the tail end of 2014 (which is admittedly a small sample) he is absolutely at an A grade level and in All Australian form. He is currently 3rd in the league for total disposals.

While he certainly has taken a long time to find this sort of consistency, his value to the team is becoming immense and would easily be our second most important player.

Here's to hoping that he is our Luke Hodge style captain in our premiership team.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Top 5 in the league for disposals, number 3 from memory. Bruce on 2nd place in the coleman above Buddy, Cloke and miles ahead of guys like Tam Hawkins playing in a worse team than most of them. Steven having a solid year too.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:I reckon this entire forum was in agreement that Armo had hit his ceiling at B grade standard. Yet, to our delight it might be time to reassess. Judging off his 5 games this season and the tail end of 2014 (which is admittedly a small sample) he is absolutely at an A grade level and in All Australian form. He is currently 3rd in the league for total disposals.

While he certainly has taken a long time to find this sort of consistency, his value to the team is becoming immense and would easily be our second most important player.

Here's to hoping that he is our Luke Hodge style captain in our premiership team.

No I was bullish about him but must admit I was starting to doubt it by the time he came back from the knee laceration. His aggression and ability to hit in hard and make tackles hurt are worth more than a soft stand up tackle. He has the northern states ability to hit horizontally at pace and make sure the ball carrier wants to run next time he comes near. Has become a very very good player. Hope Woodrow gets to see some of the positive stuff about him after years of enduring the negative stuff on here.

FQF
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:Top 5 in the league for disposals, number 3 from memory. Bruce on 2nd place in the coleman above Buddy, Cloke and miles ahead of guys like Tam Hawkins playing in a worse team than most of them. Steven having a solid year too.
Steven 2nd in the league for tackles.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:I reckon this entire forum was in agreement that Armo had hit his ceiling at B grade standard. Yet, to our delight it might be time to reassess. Judging off his 5 games this season and the tail end of 2014 (which is admittedly a small sample) he is absolutely at an A grade level and in All Australian form. He is currently 3rd in the league for total disposals.

I always had faith in him, but he is now playing better than I ever expected. He has gained pace too.

Would make a great replacement captain once Rooey has retired.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Was a plodder in my view in recent years, but has been a big improver so far this year. Much better fitness and leadership attitude.

He is now a key contributor for us.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Just the lazy 45, 5 tackles and a goal today.

saintkid
Club Player

He was great today for all 4 quarters. He is not far off the best midfielders now. My old man reckons he has a bit of Greg Burns in him for those that remember!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Seems to have improved his aerobic capacity out of sight... Just keeps running

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Completely different player 2015.

Its like the penny dropped. Or perhaps he has just matured and got his prep under control.

He is a deadset gun atm. Knocking on the door of the elite club.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
stkfc1
Club Player

bigred wrote:Completely different player 2015.

Its like the penny dropped. Or perhaps he has just matured and got his prep under control.

Think he just kicked that door in Bigred! Must be in the top 5 most improved players in the comp.
Must be our next captain.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:2007 - 2008: averaged 9.6 disposals per game
2009 - 2011: averaged 15.4 disposals per game
2012 - 2014: averaged 21.3 disposals per game
2015 so far: averaging 31.2 disposals per game

His three biggest ever games have all happened in the first five rounds this year. Not to mention he's averaging 5.6 tackles, 12.8 contested possessions, 4.8 inside 50s. And has kicked 4 goals in those 5 games.

I must admit I haven't rated him that highly in the past. He still might not be right up there with the absolute best in the competition (though that gap is closing).

But if he can keep it up he's surely our next captain?
His 45 possessions today are the most for any player this year. Yes he is up with the best on this years form. In my opinion. Two huge games in a row, and I thought he might drop off a tad with Joey back.
Last edited by saynta on Sat 09 May 2015 7:13pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

saintkid wrote:He was great today for all 4 quarters. He is not far off the best midfielders now. My old man reckons he has a bit of Greg Burns in him for those that remember!
Yeah definitely a similarity with their attack on the ball, and even the way they wheel out onto left from packs. Both have a lot of grit, but Armo's tank is bigger and he makes more contests.Both awesome Saints though...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:
bigred wrote:Completely different player 2015.

Think he just kicked that door in Bigred! Must be in the top 5 most improved players in the comp.
Must be our next captain.
I think he knows he had to lift to cover Lenny's retirement.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Yes, someone was always going to step up to fill the vacuum left by Lenny and Armo is that man. An amazing season by him so far

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Move over Phillip. We have Sir David Armitage.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.