Big-bodied midfielders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Big-bodied midfielders

The Jacks - Billings, Sinclair and Lonie - I feel are all going to be good (perhaps very good) players.

They may become giant-slayers, but I can't see them - even with the benefit of three or four pre-seasons - becoming of giant stature physicallly.

Watching Swan and Pendlebury tear us to shreds after quarter time, i couldn't help thinking how much bigger they are. Maybe it was the leather poisoning both were suffering that made them appear bigger, I don't know

How about Webster and Gilbert into the midfield mix when they are fit? Just a thought.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Re: Big-bodied midfielders

I think the turnovers cost us more. Some pretty basic skill errors that turned into their scoring opportunities.

Once they got a run on, our structure fell apart then we were bombing it out of defence, which then turned it over again, but faster.

We missed Roo, a marking half forward and didn't utilize Bruce Membrey or Longer around the wings to take a contested mark.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

They look bigger because they are. Height wise speaking, can't really grow that in preseasons. Pendlebury is 191cm, Lonie 174cm ! Sinclair only 180. Billings is same as height as Swan at 185cm and could get there but it really depends on how the conditioning staff develop him and how commited he is. Not sure if he would get that same running capacity though.

Just a bit rough on those comparisons, not only height but one is a brownlow winner and another has a normsmith :P

This thread made me look through those that are a regular rotation in our midfield, it is a small midfield. Wouldnt chuck Gilbert in coming back from injury and Webster 'could' do it but he is way too light atm imo. In the future the more likely fits are a stockier Webster and Blake Acres. Acres I think is the best mould for it. Other than those there is Roberton, Simpkin, Murdoch and Ross :/ , Markworh fits but who knows if or when we see him.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

for starters pendles is not big
yeah he is bigger than our kids,who isnt, but he isnt a monster by any means

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:for starters pendles is not big
Not for a modern midfielder, no. But, yeah, he is bigger than our kids and is always going to be.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

It's a funny term isn't it?

Does it mean tall or does it mean tall and muscular?

Pendlebury is very lean, but is tall, I wouldn't think of him as "big-bodied" aside from being so tall.

Weller looks huge, but is a good 9 or 10cm shorter...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Pendlebury is 6cm taller and 15kg heavier than Billings, the biggest of the three I mentioned.

It's not a criticism of those players, who, as I said, could all be good players (maybe very good).

It is just something to consider ... that we may need some height and mass in there
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 18 Apr 2015 11:52am, edited 1 time in total.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Send them to windy hill on loan for 2-3 years and then get them back. They will suddenly become the size of Ivan drago

Bring back the Lockett era
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Send them to windy hill on loan for 2-3 years and then get them back. They will suddenly become the size of Ivan drago

:lol: Good one Jonesy. Have a look at this. It's hilarious.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

So we should have got Petracca? You've got to give them time to get the weight and muscle on over a period of time. Dal had a skinny build but they pack the muscle on so they can stand up to the physical heat in the kitchen. A player like Steve Johnson take a lot of years to get his solid build so I think Billings can get to there over time but it can't be rushed or you get injuries. And Billings can mark high giving him that extension. Dunstan has a great build and will keep getting game hardened muscle and will become a Lenny like physical weapon. Acres could grow into a monster and has great ball reading from what I've seen.

Swanie jumped out to me as huge compared to other mids. As well as ball winning it also gives him those solid legs, hips and core to be able to have the poise and balance to sum things up and then do something incisive with it. Its a shame Armo can't use it as well because he's got that solid core to win the tough footy and get it out of heavy traffic

We definitely need a couple more genuine first unit mids who have ball hunting and ability to navigate heavy traffic in their blood and use it well. We're making do a bit with the likes of Weller and Newnes but they show their limitations when the heat is on from the oppo. Whether they can get better we'll need to see.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

You can't single out our shortest, smallest players and compare them to beasts.

Lonie, he will be a tough small forward who can have stints up the ground. Same as Schneids, and he has had a decent old career.

Sinclair, isn't he exactly the same height as Mitchell? With similar traits, one can only hope that he will get to that level.

Remember these two have just played their 3rd game in their first season.

Billings, well, he only just had his first full preseason. He might never turn into that tough, in and under mid but honestly, with Seb, Armo, Steven, Mav, Dunstan etc who honestly cares, he will give us run, outside polish and xfactor up forward - yes please!

As for a tall, like Pendles, well, Acres and Ross aren't exactly small.

Yeah, we are going to get beaten up by a few seasoned vets, but they may as well enjoy it now as we will be scary in three/four years time.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:You can't single out our shortest, smallest players and compare them to beasts.
Just making the point that our midfield, in general, is rather small by comparison to others. I think it is a good point, well made.

oldie60
Club Player

I don't think its the big bodies more so the match hardening and the ability to absorb the contest consistently in quick succession and over the whole game.The Pendlebury's and Swan's have done this for a while whereas our blokes are way below that level.Basically it comes down to match hardening and conditioning.They will get there.