Debt recovery - what's happening?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Debt recovery - what's happening?

Why aren't we force fed a debt reduction amount on our memberships like what North and Essendon and probably a few other clubs do?

Why hasn't there been a huge debt busting dinner/function this year?

We are close to crisis point - another few years of heavy losses and it could get messy.

I know uselessWay, who thankfully is now gone was talking about debt recovery but as yet I've seen little tangible high-profile evidence.

Have I missed something?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Debt recovery - what's happening?

Good post SP. This is the biggest challenge the club faces. If we have a few more years like the one just past, we may have the AFL taking the reins, leaving us with little control of our destiny. I hope Matt Finnis is across this and has some strategies to put in place.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Good post SP. This is the biggest challenge the club faces. If we have a few more years like the one just past, we may have the AFL taking the reins, leaving us with little control of our destiny. I hope Matt Finnis is across this and has some strategies to put in place.
What does it matter? We have zero control of our own destiny as it is. We're just an arm of the AFL like all the other clubs.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Good post SP. This is the biggest challenge the club faces. If we have a few more years like the one just past, we may have the AFL taking the reins, leaving us with little control of our destiny. I hope Matt Finnis is across this and has some strategies to put in place.
What does it matter? We have zero control of our own destiny as it is. We're just an arm of the AFL like all the other clubs.

Exactly - don't worry.

We are worth more to the AFL in the comp than out of the comp.

You are garbage - Enough said
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Exactly - don't worry.

It's not about going out of the comp. That clearly won't happen as the AFL needs eighteen clubs. My biggest concern is a loss of control over our future. The spectre of relocation is one thing that comes to mind.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

This forum is going to break the world record for the most "the sky is falling" threads.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

White Winmar wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Exactly - don't worry.

It's not about going out of the comp. That clearly won't happen as the AFL needs eighteen clubs. My biggest concern is a loss of control over our future. The spectre of relocation is one thing that comes to mind.

That's assuming we had control.

CEO of the AFL put Finnis in as CEO of the Saints. We are controlled by the AFL and always will be.

You are garbage - Enough said
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:This forum is going to break the world record for the most "the sky is falling" threads.
Not sure why, I wild guess might be we just notched up a record wooden spoon, we are 9 million in debt, membership tumbling,and the club is rumoured to pass on this years clear number one to bring in the 14th project forward on the list..

Bring back the Lockett era
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Add to the debt the prospect of picking McCartin over Petracca, who has been predicted to win a brownlow, we'll be lucky to survive to 2017.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Add to the debt the prospect of picking McCartin over Petracca, who has been predicted to win a brownlow, we'll be lucky to survive to 2017.
If we need Petracca to actually survive then we may as well pack it in now :shock:

Megamaguire
Club Player

Debt recovery - AFL Interested ??

Heard a snippet this morning (on SEN) of KB discussing the crumbs St.Kilda earns from playing out of the Dome. The club is lucky it can get a bit of extra cash flow from NZ. That one NZ game provides more $$ than the rest of our home games combined.
The afl can keep this going till 2025 I think they said on the show.
KB pointed out that St Kilda is helping prop up the competition in a way that benefits the afl and they can just sit back and wait till the contract is up and then "pay a dollar" to take control of the Dome once again. Good for the afl but disasterous for our club I believe.
If Gillon is a Saint @ heart I hope he finds it in his heart to save us from the destabilising 'contract' we are forced to struggle under @ the Dome.

SAINTERS :shock:

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

We need a tin rattling campaign. SOSA save our saints again.

sMarty_saints
Club Player

or pass the blanket around the oval!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

One thing is to get those 10,000 members back we lost. Hope they can take pride in their action, especially those who spit the dummy and cancelled their membership like a petulant child.
Two, we need a big sponsor to inject some cash into the club.
Three, we need hope, to get some of those members back, they must see the light at the end of the tunnel, that is why I think Petracca is the better pick than McCartin.
Four, and very important, a much better stadium deal, averaging 23,000 a game at any other stadium would have had us in the black, Etihad is killing Melbourne clubs and the sooner the AFL heirachy see that and buy the stadium out, the better the competition will be.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Megamaguire wrote:Heard a snippet this morning (on SEN) of KB discussing the crumbs St.Kilda earns from playing out of the Dome. The club is lucky it can get a bit of extra cash flow from NZ. That one NZ game provides more $$ than the rest of our home games combined.
KB pointed out that St Kilda is helping prop up the competition in a way that benefits the afl and they can just sit back and wait till the contract is up and then "pay a dollar" to take control of the Dome once again. Good for the afl but disasterous for our club I believe.
If Gillon is a Saint @ heart I hope he finds it in his heart to save us from the destabilising 'contract' we are forced to struggle under @ the Dome.

The ongoing current question is if the AFL can buy out Etihad before 2025.

Then it comes to to a price. Given the AFL is happy to throw 50 million towards expansion clubs, surely 20 odd mill to get control of Etihad now (or maybe in the next couple of years), would be money well spent.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Megamaguire wrote:Heard a snippet this morning (on SEN) of KB discussing the crumbs St.Kilda earns from playing out of the Dome. The club is lucky it can get a bit of extra cash flow from NZ. That one NZ game provides more $$ than the rest of our home games combined.

Then it comes to to a price. Given the AFL is happy to throw 50 million towards expansion clubs, surely 20 odd mill to get control of Etihad now (or maybe in the next couple of years), would be money well spent.

I think it would be worth a lot more than that and that's the problem. They obviously do their sums and its better to give the clubs extra money than forking out huge money for the stadium when they get it for a dollar in 11 years.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

I think it would be worth a lot more than that and that's the problem. They obviously do their sums and its better to give the clubs extra money than forking out huge money for the stadium when they get it for a dollar in 11 years.
There is a tipping point.

If Etihad owners do nothing in 11 years they get nothing for their asset

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

There is a tipping point.

If Etihad owners do nothing in 11 years they get nothing for their asset
I agree with that but I don't think it is as simple as your first statement suggested.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

who signed us up to 'this deal' at the Dome ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.