Any interesting discards?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Any interesting discards?

Three years ago we picked up Beau Maister. Two years ago we picked up Dylan Roberton and Tom Lee. Last year it was Mav Weller.

Mixed success there obviously but I think it shows that the Pelican likes finding a bargain. So is there anyone interesting on this list yet?

https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2014 ... delistings

Jordan Lisle has been linked with us before. Kicked 11 in 8 games last year but none this year - did he play back? At 195 and 95 could be a handy lump to fill the Maister role. Still only 24.

I thought James Polkinghorne looked OK a few years ago but he seems to have trailed off. Probably too old at 26.

Tom Temay? Obviously the Blues think he can't play. Some on here liked him in his draft year.

Jack Hutchins is a Sandy lad, don't know much about him apart from that.

No-one looks particularly enticing at this point. But safe to say we'll pick up at least one recycled player so it's interesting to look at the options.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Any interesting discards?

weller is the only one of the four who has/had a remote chance of being a good afl footballer.......overall a fail for the pelican...imho that is....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:weller is the only one of the four who has/had a remote chance of being a good afl footballer.......overall a fail for the pelican...imho that is....
I'm not prepared to give up on Lee until he's had a proper uninterrupted pre season(may never happen, I know)

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

whiskers3614 wrote:
stinger wrote:weller is the only one of the four who has/had a remote chance of being a good afl footballer.......overall a fail for the pelican...imho that is....
I'm not prepared to give up on Lee until he's had a proper uninterrupted pre season(may never happen, I know)
And 12 months ago, Roberton was our best young defender. I think he can recapture that if he gets his body right.

FQF
SS Life Member

It seems that we will be upgrading almost our entire rookie list, so if we want to replenish the rookie list, it seems almost certain that we'll need to recruit a discard or a second tier league player.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

That wasn't my question. I want to know who you think we should pick up. You did say the other day that you're about finding solutions not just problems.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Surprised Cachia and Temay are chopped. The Blues could find plenty of worse players that those guys. Cachia looked pretty good against us. I remember Brad Helbig was awesome against us a couple of years ago at the dome.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Brad Helbig could be worth a rookie spot, hard at it midfielder type. Temay getting delisted was a shock, will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Saints94 wrote:Brad Helbig could be worth a rookie spot, hard at it midfielder type. Temay getting delisted was a shock, will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Temay seems a bit too small and we seem to have plenty like him.

You are garbage - Enough said
Saints94
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Saints94 wrote:Brad Helbig could be worth a rookie spot, hard at it midfielder type. Temay getting delisted was a shock, will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Temay seems a bit too small and we seem to have plenty like him.
179cm back pocket type, 2nd round pick, so similar mould to Geary/Baker imo.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Tom Temay is an interesting one, he was an elite middle distance runner, I think he was 3rd in the 3K at the pan pacs as a 15 yo.
He is an elite kick on both feet which will certainly get Pelchins attention. He was on our radar in his draft year. We may look to rookie list him at the least

Saints94
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote:Tom Temay is an interesting one, he was an elite middle distance runner, I think he was 3rd in the 3K at the pan pacs as a 15 yo.
He is an elite kick on both feet which will certainly get Pelchins attention. He was on our radar in his draft year. We may look to rookie list him at the least
+1.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So what crystal ball enabled you to predict Roberton's ankle injury? Up till then he was flying..

As it is he may learn to mange it. His late season form was ok.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:Tom Temay is an interesting one, he was an elite middle distance runner, I think he was 3rd in the 3K at the pan pacs as a 15 yo.

He is no good. He wasnt even great at sandy and has no size. Forget him. No one of interest yet that has been delisted.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote: Tom Temay? Obviously the Blues think he can't play. Some on here liked him in his draft year.
Temay can't play.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
stinger
Saintsational Legend

his dad paul played over 50 games for us....but no.....too small

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
So what crystal ball enabled you to predict Roberton's ankle injury? Up till then he was flying..

he has a permanent loss of mobility...so no chance now....he is just a footballer anyway..........i said good.....

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Peter Yagmoor 21, 182/85 (Coll)

Jackson Allen 21, 179/81 (GC)

George Burbury 22, 186/81 (Geel)

Jordan Lockyer 21, 190/88 (Swans)

Jordan Kelly 21, 191/85 (Haw)

Luke Thompson 23, 194/88 (Ade)

Can play a bit, first 2 both very good kicks as well - 6 out of tthe delisted players so far, that I would be interested in - maybe Rookie listing.

Seeing as they look like upgrading most/all of the Rookies.
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Fri 17 Oct 2014 10:37pm, edited 7 times in total.

Stand your ground :shock:
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

he has a permanent loss of mobility...so no chance now....he is just a footballer anyway..........i said good.....
So you reckon that Pelchen is a fail because because a player taken at pick 49 was not to be a good footballer?

Maister pick 68

Weller pick 20 in Rookie Draft

Lee in a multi deal for pick 12...so effectively in the twenties.

If you really, really believe that it is a fail that not all have become "good" footballers then I think you have a poor understanding of successful drafting and trading, and are setting too high a benchmark.

Certainly Lee needs to go on to be at least useful for that trade to individually considered a success. Though if the other part of what was gained goes well it will be less crucial.

As a collective of the 4, if Roberton and Weller go on to play a goodly number of games then given most were lowly picks, it could not be said to be a fail.

Drafting/trading has never had a 100% success rate and never will. Expecting low picks to all be "good" players is pretty unreasonable IMO.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint6709
Club Player

Just had a look on a Blues forum -they were still liking Temay until about July - seems to tick most boxes just doesn't get it enough

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Peter Yagmoor 21, 182/85

Jackson Allen 21, 179/81

Both very good kicks - 2 out of that group that I would be interested in - maybe Rookie listing.

Seeing as they look like upgrading most/all of the Rookies.
The swans want Yagmoor.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

What ever happened to Todd Banfield???
From what I remember at Brisbane, he was a good young player, got a NAB rising star nomination, and kicked 27 goals in his first year in 2010.
Last year was delisted and picked up by Richmond to only get delisted again.

What went wrong. Does he deserve to get a look??

quidnunc
Club Player

Stephen McKernan - any thoughts? Can't understand why he doesn't perform better.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
mordiboyz
Club Player

I have a contact who knows the Temay family and he said they were pretty devastated when he wasn't picked up by the Saints.

Maybe his heart wasn't in it down at the Blues and god only knows we need some more heart and soul players down at the club. The bottom line is though he needs to bulk up a bit to have an impact, some kids really struggle to put on weight and bulk until they are a little bit older.

If he has elite foot skills and endurance, could be a smokey?

saint6709
Club Player

mordiboyz wrote:I have a contact who knows the Temay family and he said they were pretty devastated when he wasn't picked up by the Saints.

Maybe his heart wasn't in it down at the Blues and god only knows we need some more heart and soul players down at the club. The bottom line is though he needs to bulk up a bit to have an impact, some kids really struggle to put on weight and bulk until they are a little bit older.

If he has elite foot skills and endurance, could be a smokey?
Could be a great story - not having seen him played, I can't really comment - but like the idea of getting him to the saints