Minchington

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Minchington

This is a question for all the regular (and occasional) Sandy watchers and anyone else with an opinion!

I thought it deserved its own thread.

Where is the Minch at?

What are is his strengths and weaknesses ?

Will he be a Saints player next year?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Minchington

Thoughht he had a better season then Schneider

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Strong rumours today that he has been offered a senior contract for next year

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Apparently he will be upgraded, which is a surprise to me.

Personally I haven't seen enough to warrant the upgrade, but the coaches obviously think otherwise, fingers crossed he can continue to improve, some beautiful kicking in his few opportunities.

SideshowMilne
Club Player

Though he looked awesome at times busting through the guts at Sandi, a class above. Give him some midfield time in the Ansett cup I reckon.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Where is the Minch at? - has really worked hard to overcome injuries and niggles that hampered him in his first 2 years - has been consistent over 2014 and was last in line to get a good crack-, cut short when the upgrading situation worked against him.
was one of top vote getters for Sandringham in the Liston Voting.

What are is his strengths and weaknesses ?, speed and goal kicking, to me appears clean of hands and has worked on the defensive side, ( i have hear those who knew him pre St Kilda loved to see the long fast goal kicking- this would appear to have been shut down a little with expectation or not in development.

Will he be a Saints player next year?- I hope so delisting/ retirement/ uncertainty on other smaller forward players may assist

and yes I am a fan...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

For me - if it comes down to a spot on the list between Minch and Schneider - then its Minch for sure.
Would be a shame if Schneids clogs the list and keeps the Minch from having an opportunity.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Minchy will be offered a contract for next year. He is our next small forward mid!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Minch looks like he has a bit of skill which is (or was) lacking from some on our list.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Great news if he's getting a contract. imo deserves it and i have liked what i have seen of him in the AFL and he's a reg performer in the VFL. Also a big Minch fan.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Rosco
Club Player

Agree, keep, upgrade if he can't stay a rookie

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Whatever the club decides to do with Minch i'll support.

As long as they are building us a shot at flag number 2, not wooden spoon number 28

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Apparently he will be upgraded, which is a surprise to me.

Personally I haven't seen enough to warrant the upgrade, but the coaches obviously think otherwise, fingers crossed he can continue to improve, some beautiful kicking in his few opportunities.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-09-0 ... ams-season

'With the alignment between St Kilda and Sandringham extended to the end of 2016, McPhee noted just how important the relationship between the two clubs remains.

“It’s outstanding, the experience the players get such as Jason Holmes playing finals today and playing well is brilliant,” McPhee said.

“We’ve seen the development of players all the way through, we’ve seen Seb Ross separate from being a really good VFL player into an AFL player and we’ve seen Darren Minchington starting to do the same.”

“For the Saints players to be exposed to that level of footy on a regular is invaluable and the alliance is really strong.”

PORT MELBOURNE 4.5 7.11 10.19 16.23 119
SANDRINGHAM 3.1 6.4 9.4 11.6 72

Goals: Ong 2, Dunell 2, Minchington 2, Dennis-Lane 2, Banfield, White, Kreymborg
Best: Ross, Minchington, Simpkin, Dunell, Shenton
Exclusive to saints.com.au"

...pretty safe bet to say he will be with us next year...good job too... :D :D :D

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I like him, Con and I hope we upgrade him. I'm sure we can work on his defensive game, but he has some real flair and by god HE CAN KICK!

Always loyal
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I'm more of a fan than not but he often goes missing and doesn't impose enough. His engine may have something to do with this. Worth developing another year.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:I like him, Con and I hope we upgrade him. I'm sure we can work on his defensive game, but he has some real flair and by god HE CAN KICK!

He must have a few faults though as he has only played 4 games in 3 years. I still think upgarding basically all our rookies just gives us more ordinary footballers on out list and we have plenty already.Yep you have to fill a list but i would rather take a punt on an unknown. Might get a Fisher or maybe an LJ but with these rookies we know what we get and to me only Weller and Templeton will become regular senior players. And did I read somewhere on this forum Lee got a 2 year contract extention. What is that all about? Surely we could have learned from having Milera, Siposs and Simpkin signed for next season that we dont need to give 2 years to players who just may not be good enough.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think you have to take into account that Richo is playing teams/players and structures to see what players have got and or what their potential is. When Minch got dropped at the later end of the season I think he was showing quite a bit - it was more about seeing others before the year was out.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I think you have to take into account that Richo is playing teams/players and structures to see what players have got and or what their potential is. When Minch got dropped at the later end of the season I think he was showing quite a bit - it was more about seeing others before the year was out.
'

Didnt he play only 2 games though? i certainly didnt see enough to decide one way or another but maybe AR did. Not sure how though. I would have thought there were plenty of spots for him to get more games.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote:
PJ wrote:I think you have to take into account that Richo is playing teams/players and structures to see what players have got and or what their potential is. When Minch got dropped at the later end of the season I think he was showing quite a bit - it was more about seeing others before the year was out.
'

Didnt he play only 2 games though? i certainly didnt see enough to decide one way or another but maybe AR did. Not sure how though. I would have thought there were plenty of spots for him to get more games.
The issue though is that being a rookie meant he needed to be elevated. He was then removed from the senior list to allow Gears to come back in as they had obviously seen enough to make a call on him. Then when he could have been handy to use again the AFL rules would not allow him to be elevated back to the senior list.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He's actually had a bit of a bad injury run too and is really getting his body right finally. He probably would have come in sooner had he not injured himself.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Not sold on Minchington.,,Who are you going to delist to make way for him?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Not sold on Minchington.,,Who are you going to delist to make way for him?
Hayes, Maister, CJ, Gwilt, Dunnell, TDL, etc.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Saint wagga
Club Player

Personally, would be very pleased with Minchi getting an upgrade...as others have mentioned, he certainly has some sharpness and appears to have good explosive acceleration, has deficiencies such as tank and ability to stay in games for 4 quarters, but the selection committee must see enough to up grade which is great news...

Have a theory as to why he didn't get a lot of senior games as well as issues with upgrades and LTI's towards the end of the year. I felt that perhaps the brains trust had seen enough in his development afl and vfl that they were confident in his ability and thought there may have more to fain playing lots of minutes on ball to build his tank as opposed to playing in a forward line not getting much action and coping floggings...don't know just a thought...

But I have high hopes for this young guy!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Not sold on Minchington.,,Who are you going to delist to make way for him?
We finished last - so it cant be all that hard to find some candidates.

TDL, Jones, and Dunny for starters. Then Schneider.

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:This is a question for all the regular (and occasional) Sandy watchers and anyone else with an opinion!

I thought it deserved its own thread.

Where is the Minch at?

What are is his strengths and weaknesses ?

Will he be a Saints player next year?
A really worthy post to a guy who appears quite unassuming.

I was a big Minchy fan last year, however appeared to start 2014 very quiet. However, I saw him play on the ABC game recently (a late home & away match) and thought he looked super-fit and ran right over the opposition. If he happens to be promoted, good on him. Onwards and upwards.