Goddard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Goddard

Can someone remind me what we got in return for Goddard?
I honestly cant remember but in hindsight we should have given him 4 years and the captaincy.

not really sure why we didnt? Was it just to protect Roo as 'top dog'?
I bloody hope not.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Re: Goddard

Dont understand your last sentence.

Why would we have given bj the captaincy? Not captain material, always a bit of a to demonstrative on the field.

Roo is and deserves to be the captain. the effort he has put in year after year has been incredible. His efforts this year is nothing short of inspirational.

Cant remember was it pick 12 we traded for that superstar Lee? And I think we couldn't afford to keep him, he got $150k a year more than we offered.

Also he is not setting the world on fire at Essendon. Cheap kicks from a HBF aren't worth 800k a year.

You are garbage - Enough said
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Dont understand your last sentence.

Why would we have given bj the captaincy? Not captain material, always a bit of a to demonstrative on the field.

Roo is and deserves to be the captain. the effort he has put in year after year has been incredible. His efforts this year is nothing short of inspirational.

Cant remember was it pick 12 we traded for that superstar Lee? And I think we couldn't afford to keep him, he got $150k a year more than we offered.

Also he is not setting the world on fire at Essendon. Cheap kicks from a HBF aren't worth 800k a year.
He has played very well during his time at Essendon.

it really is ridiculous to think that out of Ball, Dal, BJ and Joey that the front-running Montagna is the player that stayed. Absolutely joke.

longtimesaint
Club Player

We actualyl got pick 12 which we traded for Tom Lee, but we also received pick 25 and 43 which secured Spencer White and Josh Saunders

One year will be our year
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The Redeemer wrote:

it really is ridiculous to think that out of Ball, Dal, BJ and Joey that the front-running Montagna is the player that stayed. Absolutely joke.
Maybe tells you who had more currency. Ball No 3 bj No1 Dall No 11, Joey No 37 (as per draft picks).

Probably tells us something.

bj is becoming a seagull more and more. Really hasn't stood up-this year. Definitely not captaincy material

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

longtimesaint wrote:We actualyl got pick 12 which we traded for Tom Lee, but we also received pick 25 and 43 which secured Spencer White and Josh Saunders
So, at the moment it has been a pretty big loss for us in this trade. Hopefully White or Lee will come good over the next couple of season, think Josh might not make it

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:

Maybe tells you who had more currency. Ball No 3 bj No1 Dall No 11, Joey No 37 (as per draft picks).

bj is becoming a seagull more and more. Really hasn't stood up-this year. Definitely not captaincy material
Really? i have been watching him this year thinking that the Dons are getting their money's worth and more.

He does have the ability to seagull it however he (as evidenced today) can go forward, kick goals and lead.

As pointless the debate it, I would much rather keep Goddard, pay him 800k and trade Joey.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The Redeemer wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:

Really? i have been watching him this year thinking that the Dons are getting their money's worth and more.

He does have the ability to seagull it however he (as evidenced today) can go forward, kick goals and lead.

As pointless the debate it, I would much rather keep Goddard, pay him 800k and trade Joey.
Still a beautiful kick, and can kick a goal. I think Essendon would be happy, but he is not worth 800k. Unfortunately we could not keep bj.

I am more concerned about getting at least one player out of Lee, White or Saunders. So far it dont look great
Last edited by Bunk_Moreland on Sat 23 Aug 2014 6:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Come on, Con. It wasn't that difficult to figure out why he left. We didn't match Essendon's offer, so he left. As simple as that. If we paid the extra mega bucks it took in order to keep him, we'd have all sorts of problems with our cap now and it would seriously hinder our rebuild.

Goddard has gone. Let's move on.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Come on, Con. It wasn't that difficult to figure out why he left. We didn't match Essendon's offer, so he left. As simple as that. If we paid the extra mega bucks it took in order to keep him, we'd have all sorts of problems with our cap now and it would seriously hinder our rebuild.

Yep. You are right.
I just lost it when I saw his speccie.
but its pointless dragging this up now.
wont help us in any way shape or form.
I guess id have rather we kept bj and traded joey but its all speculation revisionism and what ifs now...
plus wed still be bottom and bj would be so frustrated with his teammates he would have clocked one of them by now :D

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:

Still a beautiful kick, and can kick a goal. I think Essendon would be happy, but he is not worth 800k. Unfortunately we could not keep bj.

I am more concerned about getting at least one player out of Lee, White or Saunders. So far it dont look great
Agreed. I guess we can always lean on the fact that BJ going cleared up salary and allows us to purchase a younger BJ-esque player in due course.

Lee, Who knows.

White, young KPF who has wraps.

Saunders, seems like nothing of interest.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Goddard a great big occasion player, poor timing with his move to Essendon.
Pretty sure they won't be playing in any GF's while he's still playing (unless he does a Boomer Harvey).
Would have been an absolute all time legend if we had gotten across the line in those GF's
Could not possibly done any more to make it happen!

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

whiskers3614 wrote:Goddard a great big occasion player, poor timing with his move to Essendon.
Pretty sure they won't be playing in any GF's while he's still playing (unless he does a Boomer Harvey).
Would have been an absolute all time legend if we had gotten across the line in those GF's
To be fair, I would have been amazingly cranky in 2011 and 2012 knowing that the team I have played with completely botched a few flags.

inning up with McQ, Jones, Eddy and the like...come on...that is almost a kick to the balls.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

It does make you think about our salary cap.

we have gone from top to bottom in 4 years.
we have lost BJ Dal Lenny and Milne.
gram was also probably on good coin and probably kosi and mcevoy were on ok coin.

How on earth are we spending our sc now?

I know pelchen says no fa until 2016 but that means some real hacks will be on huge coin next year.
its a real worry. I reckon we need to try and recruit someone like the cats who paid overs for caddy.
rather pay overs for a good player than overs for some ordinary players which is what we will be forced to do next year.

if guys like Schneider get an extra cash top up next year just so we can spend our sc I will be furious.
that is the definition of sh*t list management. We should never be in that position.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Can someone remind me what we got in return for Goddard?
I honestly cant remember but in hindsight we should have given him 4 years and the captaincy.

I bloody hope not.
not much, from memory...there were a lot of trades.....probably pick 12 to gws for pick 24 which we used on nathan wright. plus another later pick we used on saunders.........or 13 which we traded to gold coast for hickey and pick 25....spencer wight....

probably the latter...which would usually be the case with free agency.....

i note that gws signed kristan jaksch with pick 12 .....but heis coming back home years end
Last edited by stinger on Sat 23 Aug 2014 7:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:Goddard a great big occasion player, poor timing with his move to Essendon.
To be fair, I would have been amazingly cranky in 2011 and 2012 knowing that the team I have played with completely botched a few flags.

inning up with McQ, Jones, Eddy and the like...come on...that is almost a kick to the balls.
He should be happy now he's playing with the likes of Steinberg, Fantasia and Dell Olio.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:if guys like Schneider get an extra cash top up next year just so we can spend our sc I will be furious.
that is the definition of sh*t list management. We should never be in that position.
Why? Much better to pay overs on a one year deal to a guy who we know is going to retire. If you pay a kid overs then it's on a three or four year contract. If he doesn't perform or gets badly injured then that drags you down for years. Far less risk with option a.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

FWIW, I think he fell into the 'needs a change' category.

If he delivered what he's delivering now to us, it would have been great to have him. But based in his last year or so with us, I doubt he would have. I think he needed a fresh start. It happens.

But anyway, we'd still be bottom 2-4 anyway. So it's not really too upsetting, I wouldn't have thought.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

I bloody hope not.
Move on con people leave clubs it's part of life.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:We actualyl got pick 12 which we traded for Tom Lee, but we also received pick 25 and 43 which secured Spencer White and Josh Saunders
So, at the moment it has been a pretty big loss for us in this trade. Hopefully White or Lee will come good over the next couple of season, think Josh might not make it

Why, he's tracking along pretty well to me? Was played as a defensive forward in the seniors which doesn't seem to do him many favours.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:

I bloody hope not.
Move on con people leave clubs it's part of life.
It grates and we don't know yet if Pelican is the Messiah or the Devil that may destroy us!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
jamesmc
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Come on, Con. It wasn't that difficult to figure out why he left. We didn't match Essendon's offer, so he left. As simple as that. If we paid the extra mega bucks it took in order to keep him, we'd have all sorts of problems with our cap now and it would seriously hinder our rebuild.

Yep. You are right.
I guess id have rather we kept bj and traded joey but its all speculation revisionism and what ifs now...
plus wed still be bottom and bj would be so frustrated with his teammates he would have clocked one of them by now :D
Which team mate would you like that to happen to?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

who cares
he's gone
he chased money and a flag
cant really blame him tbh
am i happy about it ?
no
did he somehow cost us a flag by leaving?
no
did he give his all when he played for us
yeah

gone
move on

thread should be in the other forum
stuff him

joe

Yep. You are right.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

your the clown who brought it up.

you can't be the guy that used to play for saints because you always talk shite, hope the real Con G dosen't know, he would be sooo embarrassed.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Why, he's tracking along pretty well to me? Was played as a defensive forward in the seniors which doesn't seem to do him many favours.
Just my opinion gringo, I really hope I am wrong and Josh plays 100 senior games and is instrumental in us climbing up the ladder