2015 - will we improve?!?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

2015 - will we improve?!?

I think the answer to this question doesn't lie with the form of our couple of veteran A graders - it will depend on how the bulk of our 2-5 years players are able to develop. There appears to be enough talent amongst this group to suggest an upswing. I think it's reasonable to expect improvement across next year as a whole...it may not come in the wins column although it'd be nice, but on the team becoming more consistently competitive within games and from game to game.
These players for me form the bulk of that group - some are more lock in selections, others depth selections, but all within that demographic where body size and tank can and should improve ...

Billings, DUnstan, Acres, Templeton
Murdoch, Saunders, Wright, White, Pierce
Newnes, Ross, Webster, Bruce, Longer, Minchi
Hickey, Tom Lee, Siposs, Curren, Weller, Shenton
Delaney, Roberton

I've tried to go in order of how many years these players have been in the system.

Thats the group of players that we can hopefully see significant gains made - I think there is enough talent there to impact our standing and add to that team cohesiveness, game stylem and perhaps it's not all doom and gloom. PS: a better run with injuries wouldn't hurt either would it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2015 - will we improve?!?

Have had this opinion for a couple of years now and I havent seen anything to change it. next year will be our worst year out of the 4 bad years we had to have. I see us winning only a game or two. lenny will be gone and we saw the effects of that last week with Joey and Steven having shockers as well. The young kids will improve gradually but none will be better than B grade and actually none may make that standard next season. The year after we will lose Rooy and maybe Joey but I see Billings and maybe Acres and Dunstan becoming at least B graders by then. I see 4 to 6 wins in 2016. Probably closer to 4. Then hopefully our draft picks from this years draft move into the B grade category and we can use the FA. But to answer your question, yes I think we will be worse next season.

sainters85
Club Player

no, we're going to get worse for the next 2 years and will get better after that (hopefully) don't know what rubbish they're talking about winning a premiership in 2018

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Your first line is likely to produce 3 good (up to very good in this bracket) players.
2nd line will be lucky to get 1.
The 3rd line will get 2, maybe 3.
4th line probably 1, maybe 2.
Delany & Roberton, 1.

So that's 10 players, at most, who will make the grade of good-high level AFL footballer.
Not even half a team.

Next year we will be worse IMO.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

if you think about the teams this year...who is moving forwards who is moving backwards i don't actually know who we could beat next year...

some top 8 teams may go back eg collingwood, geelong etc but we wont beat them.

bottom teams will go forward...gws, melbourne, bris, rich....carlton potentially the exception.

therefore i can't really see us being better than any team - so i think 2015 will be a very bad year. probably another wooden spoon to add to this year

#1 Ryder fan
oldie60
Club Player

Billings,Dunstan,Templeton and Acres aside i can't see any standout match winning type player within our 2 to 5 year bracket. I don't think its unreasonable that some of those guys should be showing something by now.I do understand that they have copped the worst of it but probably B graders at best. There is no real X factor.

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

No.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Re: 2015 - will we improve?!?y

A decent run with injuries would help. I'd also like to see Saunders and Murdoch playing. At least they have a fair dinkum crack. Find another 16 like that and we can be competitive. Unfortunately that's probably as good as it gets. Hopefully we'll see continued improvement in the young guys.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

sainters85 wrote:no, we're going to get worse for the next 2 years and will get better after that (hopefully) don't know what rubbish they're talking about winning a premiership in 2018
They talk about a flag by 2020. I reckon that's bultish also.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Remember 2007? We never made finals and were thought to be "finished" we all know how the next three or four seasons went! I'm trying to say that nobody can predict with ANY degree of certainty as to how we'll go in a years time.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
felix
Club Player

Hopefully the coach will improve .

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

5 wins

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Without improvement in our midfield talent, I can't see us being competitive at all next year. Bruce, hickey, and maybe White will give us something in the height department, but I can't see a quantum leap in the midfield, which is what we need. If there is any way we can secure a very talented 21 year old mid from GWS I would do it in a heartbeat. If you can't win the football at ground level you are stuffed, and that's kind of where we are at the moment. Templeton, wright, Gilbert, and Webster will provide us with desperately needed leg speed, but the improvement of Billings, Dunstan,Ross, and Acres will not be sufficient to counter the loss of Hayes and the decline of Ray, Jones, and Montagna. The likes of TDL and Dunell will hopefully be replaced by someone who can provide immediate impact, but it's unlikely

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

I think the next 2 years will be very lean in the wins department. 2015- 2016. Then depending on how successful our drafting and trading is will determine the success of our club. Get it right and we could climb very quickly. Get it wrong and we could be the next Melbourne with the possibility of being extinct or moved.

There is so much riding on the draft.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Yes, it's clear we need improvement in our general ball winning ability. Billings, Dunstan, Ross, Newnes, Curren, even Saunders have all shown the ability to win 20+ possessions a game, but haven't been able to do it consistently...that is the challenge. Improved Rucking from Hickey, Longer and Stanley can only help.

wally
Club Player

I dont see us winning many games,I accept we'll get flogged by very good teams,I would just like to see us closer
to the lower teams. I'll use the Rich game to try and explain what I mean:- they got a great 1st qtr start we fought back
they goalled right on half time,won 3rd qtr mark on siren kicked a point,stayed in it last qtr I think at "time on" point we were
down 14-18 points ,respectful considering the bad start but got beat by 44 points,making them look far superior. Carlton's

lewdogs
Club Player

The idea of it getting worse than this year is pretty unnerving. Still, a very distinct possibility. I still think injuries have played a huge part in our bad form this year.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Have had this opinion for a couple of years now and I havent seen anything to change it. next year will be our worst year out of the 4 bad years we had to have. I see us winning only a game or two. lenny will be gone and we saw the effects of that last week with Joey and Steven having shockers as well. The young kids will improve gradually but none will be better than B grade and actually none may make that standard next season. The year after we will lose Rooy and maybe Joey but I see Billings and maybe Acres and Dunstan becoming at least B graders by then. I see 4 to 6 wins in 2016. Probably closer to 4. Then hopefully our draft picks from this years draft move into the B grade category and we can use the FA. But to answer your question, yes I think we will be worse next season.

This is spot on.

Will be a tough year next year. Hopefully get under the guard of some teams and sneak a win.

bigballs
Club Player

To be honest and I'm not just saying this in hope (okay maybe I am a little), but I genuinely can't see any reason why we won't improve next year.

We have had a torrid year for injuries this year, it's no wonder we're on the bottom......let's not forget, most if not all of our injured players that are out at the moment will be back next year, that will have to make us stronger next year for a start, one or two might even be back this year.........add to that a few good draft picks, a tall defender, a tall forward and maybe a couple of good midfielders, then all of a sudden we'll find ourselves climbing back up the ladder again.

I reckon, providing we don't have injuries like we've had this year, we could be looking at 6 or more wins next year.

Also, I'm sure Richo will be a much better coach next year. Let's not forget, he is still learning the caper as this is only his first year as a senior AFL coach so we have to give him a bit of slack considering what he's had to deal with this year.

I'm sure by the time the last H&A game has been played he would have learnt a lot and hopefully with a full list to pick from next year, he'll be better prepared for it in 2015.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Geary and Gilbert returning should help down back. Plus one or two gun draft picks.
I'll say we'll improve, but maybe volatile performances week to week.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'm not that sure that we will improve too much but that light at the end of the tunnel should start to get a whole lot brighter !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Have had this opinion for a couple of years now and I havent seen anything to change it. next year will be our worst year out of the 4 bad years we had to have. I see us winning only a game or two. lenny will be gone and we saw the effects of that last week with Joey and Steven having shockers as well. The young kids will improve gradually but none will be better than B grade and actually none may make that standard next season. The year after we will lose Rooy and maybe Joey but I see Billings and maybe Acres and Dunstan becoming at least B graders by then. I see 4 to 6 wins in 2016. Probably closer to 4. Then hopefully our draft picks from this years draft move into the B grade category and we can use the FA. But to answer your question, yes I think we will be worse next season.
Then what happens?
Will Richardson still be coach? Will St Kilda will do what St Kilda does best and destroy another coach and board. Surely the guys you mentioned would rather play somewhere else.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:I'm not that sure that we will improve too much but that light at the end of the tunnel should start to get a whole lot brighter !!

It does as the locomotive gets closer

You are garbage - Enough said
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Eastern wrote:I'm not that sure that we will improve too much but that light at the end of the tunnel should start to get a whole lot brighter !!

It does as the locomotive gets closer
Is Ross Tungatalum coming back? :)

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

YES!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)