New Director and Loooooooong term plan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

New Director and Loooooooong term plan

Apparently Liz Dawson was on SEN this morning I didn't hear it - but tuned in and they were talking about it. - said she flagged 2020 as our year for a premiership

I don't mind clubs - the saints in particular - giving a roadmap to us fans so we feel we are on board and able to absorb some pain for some long term gain - BUT 2020 is too far away for me -- might as well say 2050 - we,ve had long term plans in the past I remember Richmond had one that went nowhere - I can handle the talk of not trading for 'big names" until 2016 which I think has been said recently - but 2020 is too far -- Reiwoldt etc might as well trade straight out next year to look for some success in their last few years

Did anyone else hear this ??

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Re: New Director and Loooooooong term plan

saint6709 wrote:Apparently Liz Dawson was on SEN this morning I didn't hear it - but tuned in and they were talking about it. - said she flagged 2020 as our year for a premiership

I don't mind clubs - the saints in particular - giving a roadmap to us fans so we feel we are on board and able to absorb some pain for some long term gain - BUT 2020 is too far away for me -- might as well say 2050 - we,ve had long term plans in the past I remember Richmond had one that went nowhere - I can handle the talk of not trading for 'big names" until 2016 which I think has been said recently - but 2020 is too far -- Reiwoldt etc might as well trade straight out next year to look for some success in their last few years

Did anyone else hear this ??
Yep, it's a long time, but realistically it's around the mark.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

What pisses me off, is that for 50 years and more, we have heard the same old story - "we have plans for the future." The only time that this has been delivered, is in recent years and thank goodness for that.

We are now paying Big Bucks for these people who are running the Club and they can no longer expect to get away with the same old lines - they simply "have to deliver." 2020 is not good enough! Who do these people think we are - idiots??

The same goes for the financial running of the Club - bloody woeful!!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'd be delighted if we could be good enough to make a preliminary final by 2020. Anything else is a bonus. That's realistic with 18 teams.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sadly - We cannot possibly win one before 2019.

If every single piece of possible luck/good management went our way and everything went against our rivals then we might have a shot in 2019.

2020 realistically our first possible chance if every single little decision goes our way.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

The next 10 years, GWS and GC are going to be up the top, plus when Swans get priority picks with zones, they will be always around the mark.
I believe all 3 will win apremiership before us. :(

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:What pisses me off, is that for 50 years and more, we have heard the same old story - "we have plans for the future." The only time that this has been delivered, is in recent years and thank goodness for that.

We are now paying Big Bucks for these people who are running the Club and they can no longer expect to get away with the same old lines - they simply "have to deliver." 2020 is not good enough! Who do these people think we are - idiots??

The same goes for the financial running of the Club - bloody woeful!!
Not all people who run the club are paid. All directors are unpaid. the CEO is paid.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:We are now paying Big Bucks for these people who are running the Club and they can no longer expect to get away with the same old lines - they simply "have to deliver." 2020 is not good enough! Who do these people think we are - idiots??
They'd be treating you as an idiot if they pretended we could be contending before 2020. It's not their fault you have unrealistic expectations.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

+1

PADDLEPOP1000
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I'd take a premiership in 2060, so 2020 sounds great to me.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

audio can be found in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86211

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Bergholt replied :
They'd be treating you as an idiot if they pretended we could be contending before 2020. It's not their fault you have unrealistic expectations
I may have been a bit off the chain with my wording. Getting to the top again before 2020, is clearly not going to happen. My comments encapsulated my thoughts on how the Club has been run over the long run - far too many "promises" and not enough "results." I also understand that directors do not get paid.
However, I have seen enough from the inside to know that giant egos tend to have more influence than real business skills!

Superstar
Club Player

Dont know why football clubs bother making such public long term statements. 2020, how can you hold them to that? Jack Steven will by 30 in 2020. Its so far off, why bother talking about it.

Just explain what you plan to do to turn around the list, trade for picks, Free agents etc..

Footy fans aren't that stupid show them improvement, and a direction. Don't just talk about the distant furture. If you sitting on the bottom, I don't think anyone's think there's a flag coming next year.

The whole landscape could change in 6 years time.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

The club wont make it to 2020 the way they are travelling! Its only a matter of time when the AFL suggest they have propped the club up for long enough and give them the push aka Fitzroy.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Saint wagga
Club Player

Superstar wrote:Dont know why football clubs bother making such public long term statements. 2020, how can you hold them to that? Jack Steven will by 30 in 2020. Its so far off, why bother talking about it.

Just explain what you plan to do to turn around the list, trade for picks, Free agents etc..

Footy fans aren't that stupid show them improvement, and a direction. Don't just talk about the distant furture. If you sitting on the bottom, I don't think anyone's think there's a flag coming next year.

Perfectly summed up! Footy is played my humans, not robots...anything and everything is possible!

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

WinnersOnly wrote:The club wont make it to 2020 the way they are travelling! Its only a matter of time when the AFL suggest they have propped the club up for long enough and give them the push aka Fitzroy.
Hi WO, what have I missed? We have been (and still are :x ) contributing to their ownership of Dockedlands, but what has the AFL done to prop us up?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Superstar wrote:Dont know why football clubs bother making such public long term statements. 2020, how can you hold them to that? Jack Steven will by 30 in 2020. Its so far off, why bother talking about it.

Jack Steven will be over thirty, but I will be over sixty :(

I'm not sure well be here in 2020.

And if I hear from one more Hawthorn supporter, that we don't have a 'strategy' whilst they of course do, I'll scream!

It's clear to me we're screwed on all fronts.