Disposals Unreal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

58saint

Disposals Unreal

Who the hell is teaching this team to kick and handpass. Their always hand passing to a player surrounded by opposition players and their kicking is the worse i have seen in 50 years. Yes we have kids playing but so does bloody Melbourne who pushed this team to the final siren last week. This is a joke. At one stage we where 29 - 29 , look at it now.

nw7
Club Player

Re: Disposals Unreal

Wow, we have so many players who are terrible kicks, under pressure you can understand and hope they get better with experience but we miss targets by a long way when there is no pressure. Richo and the coaches should just focus on improving our kicking and tackling for the rest of the season.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Reckon this mostly a result of the (lack of) forward set-up.

The majority of our players are in the back half, as a result we have no forward targets.

Our players are forced to kick or handpass sideways and mostly to a contest.

The way our team structures-up is the responsibility of our coaching staff. They need to accept a lot of responsibility for our poor disposal.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I have said it all year that we are not looking for the outside outlet handball and as you have said 58 we continually go backwards to players under more pressure. Too many playes getting sucked into the mall and no one outside to release.

The commenators made mention of it also but our tackling and lack of physicality is really poor!

Our foot skills are poor but tbe were terrible tonight because of the pressure and chase Port put on.

Simpkin didnt get a lot of the ball but at least he had the opposition hurting with his attack on the ball and the man.
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sat 07 Jun 2014 9:57pm, edited 2 times in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I reckon that nails it...
T Saint (no forwardline structure to kick to) and,
WO (everyone needlessly joining the group hugs) leaving no one to give the footy to when we get hold of it.

Both IMHO will be addressed as the young players improve...
there will be less need for us to commit so many people to covering in defence, cause we'll be doing more attacking of our own.

However, I suspect that limiting the scoreboard damage will remain the primary focus in most matches for a while longer.

Keep the faith Sainsationalists.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do you realise players at that level ARE NOT taught how to kick... That starts at 6yo at Auskick, right through to TAC cup ... They practise the skill 100 000 times before they are drafted! If they are not a good kick by then, guess what... They are not going to be a good kick.... It'd be impossible to untrain there natural action which is so ingrained.

Perhaps on a Set Kick.... But even under pressure that breaks down, and players often revert to old habits!

Do you think if it were that easy
Dunk let, Gaspar, Jones, Butcher and loads of others would simply be taught how to kick and become good over a ten year career.
Jones would have tried his arse off to improve but it's just not a natural thing for him, he cannot even hold the ball propery to kick?!

AFL coaches teach strategy, body position and game sense (to a degree)
Not basic skills
Players are recruited with those

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:...AFL coaches teach strategy, body position and game sense (to a degree)
Not basic skills
Players are recruited with those
Agree. And who is the idiot who has been in charge of recruiting for the last five years?

Saint 58
Club Player

Our ball use is the worst by a mile !
Free players under little or no pressure can't hit targets or don't have targets because of lack of aggressive movement up the ground
AND what I really hate is our ball use in congestion or traffic !!
Stupid handballs to someone under pressure
Dinky little short handballs
ANDDDDD worst of all winning the ball under pressure to kick it forward, sometimes over the shoulder without any care
or thought to where it is going - usually to the opposition or to a contest
That's junior footy bulls*** football !!

The 80's was so bad - we had little or no talent but at least we had a crack & stood for something
Today is damn frustrating and yes I know we have a stack of inexperienced kids playing !

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote:Our ball use is the worst by a mile !
Free players under little or no pressure can't hit targets or don't have targets because of lack of aggressive movement up the ground
AND what I really hate is our ball use in congestion or traffic !!
Stupid handballs to someone under pressure
Dinky little short handballs
ANDDDDD worst of all winning the ball under pressure to kick it forward, sometimes over the shoulder without any care
or thought to where it is going - usually to the opposition or to a contest
That's junior footy bulls*** football !!

The 80's was so bad - we had little or no talent but at least we had a crack & stood for something
Today is damn frustrating and yes I know we have a stack of inexperienced kids playing !

Not sure what we stood for in the 80's. Yep we had plenty of guys who would illegally belt blokes and that was a bit of fun to watch and we watered the ground so 150 point loss would be kept to 120 but apart from that I reckon its a myth. We are a poor side who just dont have the ability to do what we got used for the past 10 seasons before the last couple. And to top that off we lost Dal, BJ and Ben.

Saint 58
Club Player

We stood for the jumper, our team mates, didn't take a backward step against any opposition
Now we have no aggression & offer little or no pressure
Last game against the Pies one of our young guys got flattened, (forget who), and Riewoldt rushed up,
wagged his finger at the opposition & told him off - WTF is that ??
Yesterday against Port, Riewoldt marks, takes a hit to the head & then an elbow to the head on the way down
He got 50 metres & kicked the goal which was courageous, terrific, etc
BUT who went to the Port player, grabbed his jumper, got in face ? ..... nobody did

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote:We stood for the jumper, our team mates, didn't take a backward step against any opposition
Last game against the Pies one of our young guys got flattened, (forget who), and Riewoldt rushed up,
Yesterday against Port, Riewoldt marks, takes a hit to the head & then an elbow to the head on the way down
BUT who went to the Port player, grabbed his jumper, got in face ? ..... nobody did
I said the same thing in the game thread. Don't give a free kick away but at least remonstrate with the prick. But no, nothing. Stick up for your mates, saints. Stick up for your leader.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
Saint 58 wrote:We stood for the jumper, our team mates, didn't take a backward step against any opposition
I said the same thing in the game thread. Don't give a free kick away but at least remonstrate with the prick. But no, nothing. Stick up for your mates, saints. Stick up for your leader.
I don't believe that crap. These days you can't puts and shove, scrag or hit players. There are lots of 50s to prove it. It would be better to hurt the opposition with skills and scoring but the Saints don't have that. Pushing a bloke around and remonstrating with the opposition isn't going to fix anything.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
citywest

58saint wrote:Who the hell is teaching this team to kick and handpass. Their always hand passing to a player surrounded by opposition players and their kicking is the worse i have seen in 50 years. Yes we have kids playing but so does bloody Melbourne who pushed this team to the final siren last week. This is a joke. At one stage we where 29 - 29 , look at it now.
You lost all credibility when you said Their instead of They're.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
58saint wrote:Who the hell is teaching this team to kick and handpass. Their always hand passing to a player surrounded by opposition players and their kicking is the worse i have seen in 50 years. Yes we have kids playing but so does bloody Melbourne who pushed this team to the final siren last week. This is a joke. At one stage we where 29 - 29 , look at it now.
You've got it all wrong citywest. They're is short for they are. You are wrong, 58saint is right.

citywest

magnifisaint wrote:
citywest wrote:
You've got it all wrong citywest. They're is short for they are. You are wrong, 58saint is right.
Exactly what he was trying to say.

Saint 58
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
BUT who went to the Port player, grabbed his jumper, got in his face ? ..... nobody did
I don't believe that crap. These days you can't puts and shove, scrag or hit players. There are lots of 50s to prove it. It would be better to hurt the opposition with skills and scoring but the Saints don't have that. Pushing a bloke around and remonstrating with the opposition isn't going to fix anything.
There's aggression then there's stupidity, I'm not saying give away stupid free kicks, just stick up for your team mates,
show some verbal & physical aggression to the opposition when the opportunity is there
Wagging a finger at someone to tell them off looked almost embarrassing

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
BUT who went to the Port player, grabbed his jumper, got in his face ? ..... nobody did
There's aggression then there's stupidity, I'm not saying give away stupid free kicks, just stick up for your team mates,
show some verbal & physical aggression to the opposition when the opportunity is there
Wagging a finder at someone to tell them off looked almost embarrassing
You realise how smart some of these guys are. Too much testosterone for their own good.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Wagging a finger at someone to tell them off looked almost embarrassing

And whacking blokes like some did in the 80's was worse. We stood for nothing back then. We were a pathetic side that watered grounds so we wouldnt lose by 150 points. We still lose by the same margin whatever any player does after another is flaterned and it wont make me feel better the next day. What can you do anyway? Give us an example. Grab a jumper and get into his face. That wont change a thing.

Saint 58
Club Player

I think you've seen enough footy to know what I mean

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote:I think you've seen enough footy to know what I mean

Ive seen plenty and I didnt like the 80's football wise at all. I think the reason a few players were loved back then is because we were so bad we had to have cult heroes.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

What a dreadful exhibition of poor Kicking Skills and around-the-ball effectiveness. Most Posters are agreeing.

My question - if as some say, kicking skills cannot be substantially improved by the time players reach AFL level (Rooey an exception), then "why do our recruiters continually bring in poor disposers of the ball" (Sippo, Murdoch & Billings excluded) :?: :?: :?:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:What a dreadful exhibition of poor Kicking Skills and around-the-ball effectiveness. Most Posters are agreeing.

My question - if as some say, kicking skills cannot be substantially improved by the time players reach AFL level (Rooey an exception), then "why do our recruiters continually bring in poor disposers of the ball" (Sippo, Murdoch & Billings excluded) :?: :?: :?:

Because we havent had good picks until last year. You have to sacrifice something with ordinary picks and we have chosen kicking with a few players. Lee kicks it OK I reckon. No ruckman anywhere really kick it great bar a few.

Saint 58
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Saint 58 wrote:I think you've seen enough footy to know what I mean

Ive seen plenty and I didnt like the 80's football wise at all. I think the reason a few players were loved back then is because we were so bad we had to have cult heroes.
Yep I hated the 80's too, Monday was a bitch going to work copping all the s***
We were crap but I defended our team & went to every game I could
We lost most games but we weren't intimidated by any one, any where

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Just watching the second half again.

Foot disposal like that is just plain unacceptable.

Decision making in general was poor.

They must make a call on Jones. Would be better off playing Dunnell or Ross for the rest of the year.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....