This Isn't Fair

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

This Isn't Fair

I can't believe this comp.

Gold Coast get gifted the best talent in the land for a year or two and then share it with GWS for a couple of more years with us downtrodden clubs left to pick up the pieces. Just getting a tidbit hear or there (Billings). Meanwhile as another poster said on the game thread they have 22 Billings (well IMO 21 + G Ablett).

How is that fair? How can us lowly clubs ever compete with that sort of hand out?

As another poster said there are no priority picks now and the second round of picks come after 18 picks PLUS free agency picks therefore making it pot luck as to who you get with the remainder of your picks.

It's criminal how much the AFL have given a leg up to those two new "teams". It's just wrong. :x

(Spleen Vented)

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: This Isn't Fair

Yup.

Watch GC & GWS share flags for a decade while us and the doggies sit on one flag, Dees haven't won one in 50 years etc. The expansion clubs will have 2-3 flags each before we get a chance for our second. Joke.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

We agreed to the draft concessions for the new clubs unfortunately, but yeah. It's an artificially-manipulated competition and has been for many years under Demetriou and Co.

Sweetheart deals (Swans cost of living allowance), fixtures predicated on drawing the biggest crowds, policy on the run ... and so on. They even bought Melbourne out of trouble because they'd been down for too long.

It's more a business than a sporting competition and I can't see it changing any time soon.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

The comp is rigged. Plain and simple.

GWS and GC will win a few flags...but they wont be able to keep the lists together. Will cost too much when you have 25 top ten draft picks.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

There were two options. No new teams, or new teams that were gifted a lot of initial success. I don't think there was ever a Brisbane Bears option considered and rightly so.

You can argue that there shouldn't have been new teams. I disagree. But regardless, it's hard to argue that these teams shouldn't have been set up for success.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Jacks Back wrote:I can't believe this comp.

Gold Coast get gifted the best talent in the land for a year or two and then share it with GWS for a couple of more years with us downtrodden clubs left to pick up the pieces. Just getting a tidbit hear or there (Billings). Meanwhile as another poster said on the game thread they have 22 Billings (well IMO 21 + G Ablett).

How is that fair? How can us lowly clubs ever compete with that sort of hand out?

As another poster said there are no priority picks now and the second round of picks come after 18 picks PLUS free agency picks therefore making it pot luck as to who you get with the remainder of your picks.

It's criminal how much the AFL have given a leg up to those two new "teams". It's just wrong. :x

(Spleen Vented)
Don't worry too much J'sB. As long as the salary cap's integrity is maintained reasonably well. (I suspect that the Swines overplayed their hand re the Ego and will soon be brought back the field just as the Teddies were.)

The Pelican and list manager Bainsy are positioning us nicely in this area. We now have cap space. In a year or so, when the list is ready (unlike Carlscum's timing re their Visy 'ambassador'), we will go a raiding. :twisted:

So just keep a close eye on those Sons of Beaches and Wogans' young'uns J'sB, and in a couple of seasons, let the Pelican know a couple of names that you recommend we go and get... :D

(Different club, but we keep hearing Rory's name. I could certainly cope with that. In fact, I reckon he'd be less risky than a Dangerfield who would be too overpriced IMHO.)

As for spleen venting... good idea(!)

I hate all those soulless, artificial, interstate AFL bastard-love children teams. Yes teams, coz they sure aren't real clubs, real clubs with real histories dating back to the beginnings of our great game! :evil:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Griggsy
SS Life Member

bigred wrote:The comp is rigged. Plain and simple.

GWS and GC will win a few flags...but they wont be able to keep the lists together. Will cost too much when you have 25 top ten draft picks.
what I'm hoping for.

When GWS players start demanding money I doubt they can afford to keep Cameron Patton and Boyd and their midfield together. Have to pick two of those forwards and let the other go. If they keep their best 22 through Free agency, then there's some back door dealing going on somewhere.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Won't it be interesting to see what happens if neither of the franchise clubs win a flag in the next decade.

FQF
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:Won't it be interesting to see what happens if neither of the franchise clubs win a flag in the next decade.
Impossible

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Why should it be fair? We've had 140 years to win premierships and now it's come to this?
There are always challenges and it's about time we rose above some of them. Geelong, Hawthorn etc have done it now it's our turn.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Won't it be interesting to see what happens if neither of the franchise clubs win a flag in the next decade.
A bit of COLA will fix that.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Probably a good thing that we aren't peaking for a flag at the same time as these 2 sides… Hopefully when we challenge again they both already have a flag and things have evened out and they lose some talent to salary pressure.

We're aiming for 2018, but it could easily be more like 2022.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
A bit of COLA will fix that.

I have heard a high profile Sydney recruit likes to buy coke with his COLA.

Seriously though the expansion clubs should have got about half the handouts as there was such a heavy push to make them invincible for long periods but at the expense of the rest of the comp being competitive. It could be a gamble that goes wrong. If established fans start turning to soccer it might be a dagger through the heart for a tv rights deal now and no future under someone else's watch.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:[
Don't worry too much J'sB. As long as the salary cap's integrity is maintained reasonably well. (I suspect that the Swines overplayed their hand re the Ego and will soon be brought back the field just as the Teddies were.)

The Pelican and list manager Bainsy are positioning us nicely in this area. We now have cap space. In a year or so, when the list is ready (unlike Carlscum's timing re their Visy 'ambassador'), we will go a raiding. :twisted:

So just keep a close eye on those Sons of Beaches and Wogans' young'uns J'sB, and in a couple of seasons, let the Pelican know a couple of names that you recommend we go and get... :D

(Different club, but we keep hearing Rory's name. I could certainly cope with that. In fact, I reckon he'd be less risky than a Dangerfield who would be too overpriced IMHO.)

As for spleen venting... good idea(!)

I hate all those soulless, artificial, interstate AFL bastard-love children teams. Yes teams, coz they sure aren't real clubs, real clubs with real histories dating back to the beginnings of our great game! :evil:

Dave, I admire your enthusiasm. But sometimes your 'nick-name' usage makes your posts impossible to understand and it's just annoying. I stopped reading your stuff because of it. "The Teddies".....who are the Teddies?? Wogans? Sons of Beaches? The Ego?
Que?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Teddies - Brisbane Lions (ex Bears)

Wogans are GWS

Sons oF Beaches are Gold Coast

The Ego is Franklin though Tippett fits that too the smug prick

asaint
Club Player

Its impossible not to be resentful. Did u see how many supporters/relatives were at the ground? A few dozen behind the goals & thats it.Most of them probably actually barack for another team. And Brisbane r losing money..why a 2 nd team?

FQF
SS Life Member

stevie wrote:Teddies - Brisbane Lions (ex Bears)

Wogans are GWS

Sons oF Beaches are Gold Coast

The Ego is Franklin though Tippett fits that too the smug prick
It would be nice if this sort of translation wasn't necessary, because I like what Dave has to say when I can actually understand it.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Dave McNamara wrote: I hate all those soulless, artificial, interstate AFL bastard-love children teams. Yes teams, coz they sure aren't real clubs, real clubs with real histories dating back to the beginnings of our great game! :evil:
So Dave were you saying the same things in 1927 when the dog, tigers and hawks entered the comp 30 years after the "beginning of our great game"

The game that we love would be dead and buried if not for new teams and expansion, playing a little VFL comp compared to national and international comps in all the other football codes

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i was thinking about all these things the other day ... even if GWS and GC do fall in the pit of having to trade out stars because of the cap restrictions they will still come out on top as they will just auction off these players to the highest bidders so say in 3 years time they struggle to keep a Patton in the cap they will simply trade him for the highst pick they can get just to pick up a younger version of patton ... and so on and so forth ... its the gift that keeps giving

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah, this sucks. Getting smashed by Hawthorn wasnt fun, but being humiliated by Gold Coast is just wrong.

St Kilda (and Melbourne) have built 150 years of culture and loyalty, and it counts for squat. The AFL is so hell bent on developing teams in the northern states, they give them obscene advantages to help them win a flag in the first few years.

St Kilda as well as other Melbourne teams cannot compete with the bias of the AFL. They have removed all hope. As a result the culture and loyalty will be damaged. We will lose fans, people will stop comming to games. It will not be fun.

It sucks, and it's not fair.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Yeah, this sucks. Getting smashed by Hawthorn wasnt fun, but being humiliated by Gold Coast is just wrong.

St Kilda (and Melbourne) have built 150 years of culture and loyalty, and it counts for squat. The AFL is so hell bent on developing teams in the northern states, they give them obscene advantages to help them win a flag in the first few years.

St Kilda as well as other Melbourne teams cannot compete with the bias of the AFL. They have removed all hope. As a result the culture and loyalty will be damaged. We will lose fans, people will stop comming to games. It will not be fun.

But how else could it be done? They werent going to do what they did with the Bears. Once they decided they want 2 extra sides there was not many other options but to make them competative. And in the end they may not win a flag any quicket than WCE or Adelaide anyway.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't want to play devil's advocate, but (sigh) here goes:
we nearly folded in 1984 , and probably should've. We paid off a scheme of arrangement covering debts, which was not 100% popular with everybody at the time.
For several years after 1978 we were uncompetitive until the league expanded. With this expansion came the draft, and the salary cap, to keep the competition interesting.
We finally started to improve results in the period 1987-1990, eventually parlaying the list we developed over seven years into a finals force in 1991, gradually building through shrewd recruitment and pennypinching to our first AFL Grand Final and top of the table finish. Without licensing fees and television rights due the game's national status that would not have happened.
We have just enjoyed a decade long ride at the top of the ladder and I can honestly say that as annoying as the past few weeks have been, they are nowhere near as dismal as results during the era 1977-1986.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:Yeah, this sucks. Getting smashed by Hawthorn wasnt fun, but being humiliated by Gold Coast is just wrong.

But how else could it be done? They werent going to do what they did with the Bears. Once they decided they want 2 extra sides there was not many other options but to make them competative. And in the end they may not win a flag any quicket than WCE or Adelaide anyway.
As much as it sickens me, the man is right. It is one thing to be gifted players, but a whole lot has to go right before you earn the right to run sround the G with the Cup in your hands. They may not ever get there. Adelaide and West Coast were basically state sides in their first decade.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Rosco
Club Player

Adelaide and WCE both won in their 6th years. Port Adelaide in their 8th.

Gold Coast in 2016 would be their 6th year; it's the 7-10th years perhaps we need to worry more about...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i agree that the expantion clubs need that leg up to be competitive early on .. but the problem is the leg up they got given in my opinion was far too big ... the sheer ammount of draft pick that they stockpiled has set them on a path to be almost too strong ... now they might not even win a flag in the next 10 years but the way its set up they look more likely to dominate then faulter ... i reckon both teams tricked the AFL ... my feeling is the expansion clubs were meant to use these pick to get established players from the other clubs to become competitive straight up .. both clubs bit the bullet and kept them picks with a few years of uncompetitiveness (mean while grabbing more early picks)... the AFL have created something they didnt expect

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/