Changes for Gold Coast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Changes for Gold Coast

I would make 2, give Milera and Ross another chance.
Not sure who I would drop at this stage.
The real problem we have is that we are not kicking enough goals. We are so one dimensional. I hope at training this week they practice not to kick it to Roo 9 out of 10 times.
Wish I could say give Lee a go, but his form at Sandringham doesn't justify it.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Changes for Gold Coast

The Roo problem is not fixed by personnel changes, it needs to be consciously brought to front of mind for the team, and we need to strategically set up so that other players can present as goal kickers.

We had other avenues to goal in Siposs and Stanley. Whether or not they're any good is up for debate, but we have to start using them.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:The Roo problem is not fixed by personnel changes, it needs to be consciously brought to front of mind for the team, and we need to strategically set up so that other players can present as goal kickers.

We had other avenues to goal in Siposs and Stanley. Whether or not they're any good is up for debate, but we have to start using them.
Why use rubbish options when you have the option of that or silk?

It's human nature to go with the best available option. Not good for Sippa or Stanley or Lee if he ever gets a game.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saints94
SS Life Member

IN: Roberton, Ross, Milera

OUT: Gwilt, Jones & Shenton

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Would of thought Milera was a certainty this week.

Bring back the Lockett era
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Definitely need a forward line make-over… we look so impotent at the moment.

IN: Milera/Dunell, Lee

OUT: Jones, Webster,

Saint wagga
Club Player

Changes:
1. Weller to play a full game, in place of Jones (Dropped), for Ross or Milera
3. Possibly Gwilt out. Webster probably should be dropped aftera string of pretty poor games, but persevere through a rough form patch, like Newnes.
4. Dunnell in.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Lets not forget we are playing the little sook in career best form this weekend. After he gets a hold of Curran with 16 touches and 3 goals in the first quarter we might want to throw the reigns over to Jones you might of thought?

Bring back the Lockett era
dragit
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Lets not forget we are playing the little sook in career best form this weekend. After he gets a hold of Curran with 16 touches and 3 goals in the first quarter we might want to throw the reigns over to Jones you might of thought?
No I wouldn't think so, Ablett has destroyed Jones in the past too… we probably have more to gain from Weller & Curren running with the best player in the comp and learning.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Good point Jonesy and he'll most likely stay in...but for developments sake, I would have thought it's a chance for Curren and Weller to be our go to guys as the next generation. Ps: it looked like curren was running with Mark Murphey last night, but not as tight as other tgs he's laid...Murphy ended with 30+ disposals and had a good game so should we chalk that against Curren as a loss...Tommy seemed to be running more feely and collected himself 21 possies and did some good things too...thoughts?

FQF
SS Life Member

Saint wagga wrote:Good point Jonesy and he'll most likely stay in...but for developments sake, I would have thought it's a chance for Curren and Weller to be our go to guys as the next generation. Ps: it looked like curren was running with Mark Murphey last night, but not as tight as other tgs he's laid...Murphy ended with 30+ disposals and had a good game so should we chalk that against Curren as a loss...Tommy seemed to be running more feely and collected himself 21 possies and did some good things too...thoughts?
I'm not sure about the efficacy of essentially playing a head to head match up when Murphy doesn't need to worry all that much about defending Curren.

Either it's a tag, or it's a proper head to head, in which case we would have had to play either Joey or Jack on Murphy.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:I would make 2, give Milera and Ross another chance.
The real problem we have is that we are not kicking enough goals. We are so one dimensional. I hope at training this week they practice not to kick it to Roo 9 out of 10 times.
For me... Dunny and Terry... what to see Dunny up forward...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintbob
SS Life Member

Out: Gwilt and Jones

In: Dunell and Milera

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Milera and Saunders looked the best of the others this weekend because they didn't play. I reckon they'll rotate back in with the short break. Maybe Dunell but I'm not convinced he has a future at AFL level.

Outs? Both Newnes and Webster conceded a lot of goals so maybe one of them will rotate out. Siposs not impressive and Weller quiet in his quarter or so. Acres subbed off might not be a good sign. Shenton still doesn't have a position as far as I can tell.

IN: Milera, Saunders
OUT: Shenton, Weller

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

bergholt wrote:IN: Milera, Saunders
OUT: Shenton, Weller
IN: Saunders.
OUT: Jack S. (Seems there's questions about his foot still. I reckon take no chances and rest him!)

Kudos to you Bergs for leaving in Acres, Stanley, Sippa, Jones and Gwilt. Sippa and Stanley must play predominantly forward... and no matter how Roo-obsessed we are... they must keep presenting!

More kudos for picking Saunders.

My question though is what's all the SS love with Tezza?

He has tricks, but seriously, he's not as fast nor as good a kick as people think. My big issue though is that (along with TDL) he'd be our most outside player. My policy is that St Kilda teams should always be a receiver-free zone.

IMHO we also need to have a decent look at the Panther and the Maverick. They've been upgraded, so play 'em I reckon.

Sammy D should be next to get a chance, followed by Minch... and once that happens they should each get a decent run (unless we've already made the call on them).

IMHO Lee shouldn't play till he's built up his strength and fitness. There's no immediate hurry with him, so get his body ready first I reckon.

Spenc-aarrhhhhh! I'd be looking at a rest from all playing, and just hit the gym and the track for around six weeks. Hopefully a few AFL games mid-late 2015, then looking for some significant steps in 2016. By the 2018 flag year he'll be a very significant contributor. 8-) Patience is the key with him I reckon.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:IN: Roberton, Ross, Milera

OUT: Gwilt, Jones & Shenton
You need to give Shenton a run for 4 or so weeks. You can't just chop and change. Gwilt and Jones I agree with. Their time is done.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Spenc-aarrhhhhh! I'd be looking at a rest from all playing, and just hit the gym and the track for around six weeks. Hopefully a few AFL games mid-late 2015, then looking for some significant steps in 2016. By the 2018 flag year he'll be a very significant contributor. 8-) Patience is the key with him I reckon.
just a question on Spencer ... he was drafted in 2012 so basically spent 2013 in development now we are talking about him spending 2014 in development and most of 2015 in development ... realistically how many players in the history of the game have "made it" after spending almost 3 years on the list without being picked for a senior game ? i mean i get he is a development player and time has to be taken to get development players ready but you would like to think Spencer if he was going to make it would be pushing for a game before mid to late 2015

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Keep churning through the young players. No use dropping the experience, keep them in and rotate the youth.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cant think of anyone to drop?
After we lost to the bottom side, then by 140 points then to a bottom 6 side?

It cant be that hard?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Cant think of anyone to drop?
After we lost to the bottom side, then by 140 points then to a bottom 6 side?

It cant be that hard?
to be fair that record would be a lot worse if we ourselves werent a bottom 4 side ... losing to the bottom side when your in the bottom 4 isnt that big of a shock ... getting an almighty flogging by the top side when your a bottom four side is pretty common .... getting beaten by a team just above you isnt exactly a one off either for a bottom 4 team ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon players who play badly with no intensity at the contest should get the chop, so that would automatically be Siposs and Stanley after last night. Bring in Dunnel and Milera.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I reckon players who play badly with no intensity at the contest should get the chop, so that would automatically be Siposs and Stanley after last night. Bring in Dunnel and Milera.
So that leaves Roo as the only tall forward.
Personally right now, we play Sunday, wouldn't have any dropped at this stage just name the extra three. Wait for Gold Coast to declare their hand and try and match up their team best we can.
They have some talented young tall forwards, so we need a defence than can at least give them a contest.
Yes we have to play the young guys, but we just can't make sweeping changes with the little experienced personnel we got otherwise we will get flogged every week like GWS has for the last 2 seasons.
Sipposs and Stanley need to stay in, Stanley especially as we don't have a second ruck. The only logical replacement for Sipposs is Lee and I don't think Lee has qualified yet for a re call.
Ross and Milera have been consistently in the best players at Sandy so, they are the two I'd looking at the most to bring in. I few drop Gwilt it is either Roberton or Simpkin.
Mind you, Gwilt on Menzel was not a good match up for us. Geary on Menzel would have been better, but Geary has a long holiday at the moment.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:My question though is what's all the SS love with Tezza?

He has tricks, but seriously, he's not as fast nor as good a kick as people think. My big issue though is that (along with TDL) he'd be our most outside player. My policy is that St Kilda teams should always be a receiver-free zone.
You might be right, but he's still on the list and he's performing well at VFL level so sooner or later we need to have another look at him.

I reckon we're doing OK in contested ball at the moment. Lenny, Dunstan, Curren, Montagna, Ray, Jones - all picking up their share of hard inside ball and clearances. The problem is that we're rarely finding men in space with the skills to make something happen. Tezza just might be that guy. I think probably not, but we do need to see him again.
Dave McNamara wrote:IMHO we also need to have a decent look at the Panther and the Maverick. They've been upgraded, so play 'em I reckon.
I've already decided on Shenton. Weller will get plenty of chances but I don't think he's quite paying his way at this point.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, but I reckon a telegraph pole would be as effective as Stanley in the forward line right now.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Sorry, but I recon a telegraph pole would be as effective as Stanley in the forward line right now.
He wasn't great last night, but up until that point he'd had some reasonably productive performances. Definitely worth persisting with him for mine - it's not as if there are a bunch of other forward/ruck options raring to go.