Televisin commentaryBombers game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Televisin commentaryBombers game

FFS for those of us unfortunately confined to watching the team on TV, could we get a worst combination of commentators?

I watched the game three times now, and each time I have yelled at the TV to Shut The f*** Up.

I do not want to hear, whilst the game is going on, inane conversations about the use of lasers to mark out 50 metre penalties, arguments about selective Twitter comments, and I think everyone knows by now that Jack Steven is the boy from Lorne on the Great Ocean Road. :roll:

Just tell us who has got the ball and who they are passing it to. And consign the in-jokes with the over-rampant egos to the garbage bin.

I know, I could turn the sound off, but then I miss out on the information from the boundary line, telling me who is getting treatment for what injury, and who has been subbed off and when.

On TV, you do not have the luxury to scan the ground at various times to see mark-ups, positioning etc. That is what should be commentated on.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Televisin commentaryBombers game

GrumpyOne wrote:FFS for those of us unfortunately confined to watching the team on TV, could we get a worst combination of commentators?

I watched the game three times now, and each time I have yelled at the TV to Shut The f*** Up.

I do not want to hear, whilst the game is going on, inane conversations about the use of lasers to mark out 50 metre penalties, arguments about selective Twitter comments, and I think everyone knows by now that Jack Steven is the boy from Lorne on the Great Ocean Road. :roll:

Just tell us who has got the ball and who they are passing it to. And consign the in-jokes with the over-rampant egos to the garbage bin.

I know, I could turn the sound off, but then I miss out on the information from the boundary line, telling me who is getting treatment for what injury, and who has been subbed off and when.

On TV, you do not have the luxury to scan the ground at various times to see mark-ups, positioning etc. That is what should be commentated on.
Im with you. I had volume off and abc radio on. But then we started getting ahead in the 3rd I put tv volume on. But then they started crapping on about lasers so I reverted back to abc radio for commentary.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Its funny but i prefer a bit of chat through the game. It isnt radio. You can see what is happening. The thing is they must do surveys on what people want so maybe there are more who dont complain about it than they do.

Milne
Club Player

I don't mind the commentators, except for BT.

Megsie
Club Player

TOTALLY agree. Taylor is a dumb hack
Dwells on giving our players nicknames
you'd hear kids at kindergarten laughing
at. I turn sound down these days. Then
listen to replay.ouT

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I've watched the replay a number of times - without the sound. Bliss.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Its funny but i prefer a bit of chat through the game. It isnt radio. You can see what is happening. The thing is they must do surveys on what people want so maybe there are more who dont complain about it than they do.
Err yes - of course they do. No doubt about that. But being the popular view doesn't mean it is the 'right' view. Once again you seem to follow the conventional view and than take that as being 'right'.
Clearly everyone has differing opinions and clearly the majority must like what i consider crap. But that also doesn't invalidate my view that its crap.

e.g a current affair/today tonight get 1 million viewers as does home and away. Doesn't 'prove' they are awesome shows cos thats what the punters want.
I still say both are shite. But yes - I accept many people like the commentators to talk s*** and use the word 'superstar' every 2 minutes. Doesn't mean 'the majority is right and the whingers are wrong' which is what you keep defending.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Its funny but i prefer a bit of chat through the game. It isnt radio. You can see what is happening. The thing is they must do surveys on what people want so maybe there are more who dont complain about it than they do.
Err yes - of course they do. No doubt about that. But being the popular view doesn't mean it is the 'right' view. Once again you seem to think follow the conventional view and than take that as being 'right'.
Clearly everyone has differing opinions and clearly the majority must like what i consider crap. But that also doesn't invalidate my view that its crap.

e.g a current affair/today tonight get 1 million viewers as does home and away. Doesn't 'prove' they are awesome shows cos thats what the punters want.
I still say both are shite. But yes - I accept many people like the commentators to talk s*** and use the word 'superstar' every 2 minutes. Doesn't mean 'the majority is right and the whiners are wrong' which is what you keep defending.

Its funny but you and many others tell me off for just going the opposite way to what others think and now you are having a go at me for taking what you describe as the populist view. Im actually taking my view and the commentators dont worry me and I then pointed out why they probably commentate that way but it isnt the reason i like it. Make up your mind on how i feel. Im glad you know how i feel and why as well.

And as you cant read i will explain it to you. I didnt say the others were wrong. I said what i liked. So to prove you arent lying again show me where I said the whiners are wrong. Really you arent going that well at the minute or the year.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Agree with the inane conversation during the telecast.

And as I said another thread, Samantha Lane's participation at the Thompson press conference was appalling.

She asked the harder type of question on "Before the Game" instead of offering up statements to give the chance for Thompson to have a whinge.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Its funny but you and many others tell me off for just going the opposite way to what others think and now you are having a go at me for taking what you describe as the populist view. Im actually taking my view and the commentators dont worry me and I then pointed out why they probably commentate that way but it isnt the reason i like it. Make up your mind on how i feel. Im glad you know how i feel and why as well.

And as you cant read i will explain it to you. I didnt say the others were wrong. I said what i liked. So to prove you arent lying again show me where I said the whiners are wrong. Really you arent going that well at the minute or the year.
No - you are a sheep/sycophant/hanger on. You go with whatever you think the club or afl or majority or anyone in 'authority' says.
You go the opposite to everyone on here because you think that you are an 'insider' and part of the 'footy establishment' and everyone else on here is a 'pleb outsider idiot fan'.

You follow that logic? I'm very consistent on that view. Do you understand it or want it in a pictures?
Once again you think you have caught me out on logic - but exposed yourself as a fool.

You're entitled to like the commentary and yes I'm sure they have surveys to say people like it - but you seem to think because that is the majority view then those against the 'commercial mainstream' are 'wrong'. You think power is always right and you think you are an 'insider' - hence it is very consistent for me to say you go with the mainstream view every time and also oppose/dismiss many on here. Its consistent with your self view as an 'insider' that you picked up as a hanger on.

I personally don't like how every 2nd player and word is either 'superstar' or 'elite' and talking up how great the Bombers 'character' is.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Taylor used to be an excellent commentator. Now he wants to be the modern Rex Hunt.

Talking about birthday parties, Mexican food, lasers, EEEEEEEELLLLLIIIIIIIIII, The do, etc.

The colour commentary is drowned out by is inanities, and most of the colour commentary was quite good on Saturday.

Taylor tends to wreck it for me, but then his every statement is not a question like Bruce, doesn't he? isn't he? wont it? etc etc etc

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

These guys make Sandy Roberts sound like Martin Tyler.

A different game I know but unfortunately we really don't have our own version of Martin Tyler.

BT is a flog.

Bruth is an idiot.

Darcy, well no comment.

I don't mind Ritcho.

On the radio, KB is the worst.

Is Hamish McLachlan the biggest case of nepotism ever?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Taylor used to be an excellent commentator. Now he wants to be the modern Rex Hunt.

Talking about birthday parties, Mexican food, lasers, EEEEEEEELLLLLIIIIIIIIII, The do, etc.

The colour commentary is drowned out by is inanities, and most of the colour commentary was quite good on Saturday.

Taylor tends to wreck it for me, but then his every statement is not a question like Bruce, doesn't he? isn't he? wont it? etc etc etc
I'd almost put up with most of that if he was an accurate caller...But he is simply not. Getting facts, players and game situations wrong all the time.
And the entire team seem to think that the viewing audience is there to solely hear the pointless banter between them all.
Just call the effing game!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No - you are a sheep/sycophant/hanger on. You go with whatever you think the club or afl or majority or anyone in 'authority' says.
You go the opposite to everyone on here because you think that you are an 'insider' and part of the 'footy establishment' and everyone else on here is a 'pleb outsider idiot fan'.

You follow that logic? I'm very consistent on that view. Do you understand it or want it in a pictures?
Once again you think you have caught me out on logic - but exposed yourself as a fool.

You're entitled to like the commentary and yes I'm sure they have surveys to say people like it - but you seem to think because that is the majority view then those against the 'commercial mainstream' are 'wrong'. You think power is always right and you think you are an 'insider' - hence it is very consistent for me to say you go with the mainstream view every time and also oppose/dismiss many on here. Its consistent with your self view as an 'insider' that you picked up as a hanger on.

I personally don't like how every 2nd player and word is either 'superstar' or 'elite' and talking up how great the Bombers 'character' is.

So if I go with the majority then you are saying everyone on here thinks like the minority. Now that would be weird. Why our club? And how many times Con can i tell you to stop saying I am an insider. Its a lie by you. No reason why you would even say it. Show me where i have said im an insider. I probably told you 100 times i am not. I can really see why you seem to move houses a lot.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Volume muted all the time for every game. Watching Dawks/cats now. It's great, like a silent movie

twirlyhair
Club Player

BT is an absolute hack commentator. Clearly the worst of all. Constantly gets the players names wrong, which surely is the prerequisite for a commentator. He remains at 7 purely because of the boys club that exists there. Ruins the game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:BT is an absolute hack commentator. Clearly the worst of all. Constantly gets the players names wrong, which surely is the prerequisite for a commentator. He remains at 7 purely because of the boys club that exists there. Ruins the game.

You realise he has only been at 7 for 2 or 3 years.

twirlyhair
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
twirlyhair wrote:BT is an absolute hack commentator. Clearly the worst of all. Constantly gets the players names wrong, which surely is the prerequisite for a commentator. He remains at 7 purely because of the boys club that exists there. Ruins the game.

And you point is?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And you point is?

They must join the boys club quickly. Im pretty sure boys have stopped commentating over the years. Roberts for example. he will given the marching orders whether is in the boys club or not if he effects ratings. Thats all TV stations care about not a silly boys club.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I'm sure at one stage during Saturday night's game he called the Saints as "the Cats" before he corrected himself.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Bruce is overdoing the gravely guteral bursts of exaggerated excitement calls IMO. Useby date...maybe.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Bruce is overdoing the gravely guteral bursts of exaggerated excitement calls IMO. Useby date...maybe.
Do you realise that nowdays bruce does the commentary whilst naked in a hot tub , smeared in baby oil !

In red white and black from 73
#gosaintas
Club Player

Agree - Bruce is just a parody of himself these days.
That Hawks - Geel was a crap game of footy and they were talking it up like it was a classic

stevie
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:These guys make Sandy Roberts sound like Martin Tyler.

A different game I know but unfortunately we really don't have our own version of Martin Tyler.

BT is a flog.

Bruth is an idiot.

Darcy, well no comment.

I don't mind Ritcho.

On the radio, KB is the worst.

Is Hamish McLachlan the biggest case of nepotism ever?
Looking forward to hearing Martin at the World Cup! Will be a lot of staying awake for a couple of days for me. The wife and kids are away for the majority of the tournament. Woohoo!

jamesmc
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:Agree - Bruce is just a parody of himself these days.
That Hawks - Geel was a crap game of footy and they were talking it up like it was a classic
Cleeeveer