"Good" Friday - if you're an NRL, Super Rugby, a-league fan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

"Good" Friday - if you're an NRL, Super Rugby, a-league fan

All three codes have games on today, with 2 games in Melbourne at AAMI and Etihad.

Very considerate of the AFL to give these codes a leg up, whilst spending over 100 million on expansion teams trying to combat them.

Hypocrits.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
falka
Club Player

Re: "Good" Friday - if you're an NRL, Super Rugby, a-league

I'm used to it after all this time. I get in the sauce all day and don't want to be interrupted by footy between 2 teams I hate. Just like Anzac game, don't watch it. Let's be honest. It won't be us playing on this day.

As for giving other codes a leg up, I hardly think rugby will take over the world . I see merit in gws v Sydney or a northern markets game.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Every year, same thread, same arguments. Next year there probably will be a Good Friday game and we will be complaining that we aren't involved.
Unless we're playing, couldn't be less interested.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Every year, same thread, same arguments. Next year there probably will be a Good Friday game and we will be complaining that we aren't involved.
Unless we're playing, couldn't be less interested.
This year it could've been us playing Essendon today giving both teams a full 7 day break before our Anzac Day clashes

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

One day a year, remember the 70's when all games on Saturday afternoon.
There has to be a happy medium somewhere!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

keep thinking its actually saturday and i can put the tube on in an hr and watch some footy :?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:One day a year, remember the 70's when all games on Saturday afternoon.
There has to be a happy medium somewhere!
Footy has been scientifically proven to exist, unlike all mainstream religions.

F religious holiday's getting in the way of my number one religion!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Quite ambivalent WRT to religion myself.
Happy to put my personal views second sometimes to accommodate other beliefs.
Interesting aside, a business I know of opened on Good Friday 3 years ago and donated 100% of turnover(not profit) to RCH appeal.
They got plenty of good publicity as well as demands that they be black banned for daring to open!

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

NRL is for godless heathens.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dear sweet little one day old baby Jesus in your crib...
Bless you that this will be the last year that I will be made to observe somebody else's personal beliefs...
Whether or not I watch the Good Friday games going forward, at least I will no longer be tied to another's quirky religious rules.
For all of those who are offended at the thought of sport being played on this day, I 100% support your right to not watch the game.
Amen.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Dear sweet little one day old baby Jesus in your crib...
Bless you that this will be the last year that I will be made to observe somebody else's personal beliefs...
Whether or not I watch the Good Friday games going forward, at least I will no longer be tied to another's quirky religious rules.
For all of those who are offended at the thought of sport being played on this day, I 100% support your right to not watch the game.
Amen.
What about players/officials with religious beliefs?

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

matrix wrote:keep thinking its actually saturday and i can put the tube on in an hr and watch some footy :?
It wasn't until I read this that I realised it was only Friday, lol.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Not really religious and not really fussed about it really.

People want to take Jesus and Religion out of it, but if we do that then there shouldn't be a holiday today and we should all be at work. There'd be no footy then would there? Of course there would be a game tonight, but then there wouldn't have been one last night (technically speaking that Lions/Tigers stuff was an AFL game)

As they used to say in pre "Meh" days, "Que Sera Sera, Whatever will be will be"

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:All three codes have games on today, with 2 games in Melbourne at AAMI and Etihad.

Very considerate of the AFL to give these codes a leg up, whilst spending over 100 million on expansion teams trying to combat them.

Hypocrits.
Didn't you whinge last year because the election was going to be on some Jew holy day?

Not so precious when it is a different fairy tale's holy day.

And you call the AFL hypocritical :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Not really religious and not really fussed about it really.

People want to take Jesus and Religion out of it, but if we do that then there shouldn't be a holiday today and we should all be at work. There'd be no footy then would there? Of course there would be a game tonight, but then there wouldn't have been one last night (technically speaking that Lions/Tigers stuff was an AFL game)

As they used to say in pre "Meh" days, "Que Sera Sera, Whatever will be will be"
Why should we be at work? It is a gazetted public holiday. Or should non Australians in Australia have to go to work on 26th Jan, pacifits have to go to work on Anzac Day?

I dont bet, but why should I have to go to work on Melbourne Cup day?

Can take the holidays off Easter, couldn't give a toss, as long as we get the same amount of public hols as we do now.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Not really religious and not really fussed about it really.

Why should we be at work? It is a gazetted public holiday. Or should non Australians in Australia have to go to work on 26th Jan, pacifits have to go to work on Anzac Day?

I dont bet, but why should I have to go to work on Melbourne Cup day?

Can take the holidays off Easter, couldn't give a toss, as long as we get the same amount of public hols as we do now.
What are you on about? Read my post properly next time.

Nothing about whether you are religious or not. Simply saying the day exists because of religion. Why would there even be a public holiday without it? Was it a gazetted public holiday in 2015 years ago?

Why are you always looking for a fight???

dragit
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
Amen.
What about players/officials with religious beliefs?
I also support their right to stand aside. 100%.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Not looking for a fight. Religion has nothing to do with the football, either does faith. America is much more religious than Australians but play football on Christmas Day.

On and Christ died apparently at age 34, to have a public holiday 2015 years ago for his death would mean they celebrated his death 30 years too soon.

I actually like having no football and nothing opened. I get to do stuff about the house and actually live my life instead of having to slavishly watch footy.

Who watched that crap last night?

Lance or James??

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Amen.
I'm not religious but I reckon they celebrate the birth of Jesus during the off season.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
dragit
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Amen.
I'm not religious but I reckon they celebrate the birth of Jesus during the off season.
If I have to pray, I do it to the cute little one day old crib version, not the hipster beard version.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

We enjoy a day off work - why shouldn't the footballers, the staff, the stadium attendants, etc.
Gads sake - we got todays game yesterday.
Good time for family and friends to enjoy time together, or simply just enjoy a day of relaxation.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
dragit
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:We enjoy a day off work - why shouldn't the footballers, the staff, the stadium attendants, etc.
Gads sake - we got todays game yesterday.
Good time for family and friends to enjoy time together, or simply just enjoy a day of relaxation.
Footballers aren't short for days off & if they rotate the fixture like they should then most players will only play one Good Friday match in their entire career... Same goes for club staff.
I don't think you would have trouble finding stadium attendants who would be on penalty rates, again I 100% support any that choose not to work.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

you can listen to Aussie and his team work toward their first ever win - and that being over Essendon .

http://streaming.gohosting.com.au/bpmmedia.m3u

up by 19 pts near half time.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:All three codes have games on today, with 2 games in Melbourne at AAMI and Etihad.

Hypocrits.
Didn't you whinge last year because the election was going to be on some Jew holy day?

Not so precious when it is a different fairy tale's holy day.

And you call the AFL hypocritical :roll:
Rehashing old ground a third time eh Joff?

I think the doctor may just be onto something.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Amen.

See this is where people can be silly.

I understand that no one should be forced to follow others beliefs but your whole argument should be directed to the government as the reason there is a public holiday is based on the same reasons there is no football.

Let's not pick and chose what you choose to follow, or be forced to follow. Or which quirky rules you should be tied to.

Forward your complaints to the government... Or whoever makes the Australian calendar.