Club is on the up!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MrCordz
Club Player

Club is on the up!!

Positives this year that auger well for a unified strong club.

Richo: Seems to me to be a cross between GT and RL. Perfect for the situation this year. I loved the way Thommo coached between 2001 and 2003. We had a crack most weeks and GT didn't allow youth to be an excuse. Great leaders helped the young guns get better.

Peter Summers: Whilst not great in the media - I love his vision and commitment - he is an ex financial exec.-now CEO So slow and steady but stable and dogged. This is so critical for club strength and shared focus throughout. Seems unwavering and determined - I like it.

Sandy: Loving the player breakdowns by Huddo in the 2nds. Seems all (most) of the guys we wanted to lift this year are lifting - great attitudes and effort. A very healthy sign of all players buying in on what we are trying to (re) build

Blend of age and youth in the ones - Like Loewe Harvey Burkey et al. Riewoldt, Hayes, Dempster etc. are having a great influence on the kids - again I like it!

Membership campaign 2014 - This is the type of campaign that should have happened 5 years ago - membership is down we all know but to look at the entire bayside region from St. Kilda to Portsea is a great initiative. Westaway and Nettlefold and previous administrators had us looking "Goofy" and slap stick with their campaigns. At least we look like we are not just going for women and children in this one. - Lets keep it that way.

Saints Footy I've heard Farren Ray and roo start talking about this phrase again recently which I like. Hard to play against. We'll have off weeks like against Adelaide - but I feel like we are developing a winners brand again and are not going to let go of the successes we had and simply think "Oh well at least we got close in those GFs."

Thoughts?

Humbly St. Kilda
linz
Club Player

Re: Club is on the up!!

Agree. I particularly like the honest up front approach.
Unlike Carlton we admit to the need for a re-build and are going about it with everyone on board.
I like Richardson's address to Saints members via email also. Encourages people to become and remain members.
Marketing aiming at embracing the whole Bayside area is spot on. The Saints are getting it right.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
OldGeorgeYoung
Club Player

+1

If we don't have hope. All is lost.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

just got the touchy feely washup email from the club re last game....Richo didn't really explain why the Crows had so much space during the game....when they had the ball they were all unmanned ...how does that work ?

Either we are totally unfit or we have a poor game plan.... It ain't rocket surgery :wink:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

McCordz, I am most certainly with you on this line of thought. Yesterdays belting was dreadful to sit through, and a loss will always hurt. I don't have to like it, on the other hand I don't have to panic or go into depression over it. I've gone through it before, I survived, and it made me strong! These young players will also become stronger as the journey continues. Plenty to be optimistic about at our club!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote:just got the touchy feely washup email from the club re last game....Richo didn't really explain why the Crows had so much space during the game....when they had the ball they were all unmanned ...how does that work ?

Either we are totally unfit or we have a poor game plan.... It ain't rocket surgery :wink:
We just had a dirty day. We couldn't put out the fire!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:just got the touchy feely washup email from the club re last game....Richo didn't really explain why the Crows had so much space during the game....when they had the ball they were all unmanned ...how does that work ?

Not just a dirty day, it seemed like all the 50-50 decisions went their way along with all the flukey bounces. But it always seems that way when we lose !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:

But we didn't start the fire.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Seem to be tracking well ATM

There is a little bit of pain to come.... But education requires floggings to teach valuable lessons.

Kids will learn more from losses, mistakes and being beaten by opponents than visa versa...

Wins will give confidence and belief they can succeed

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Seem to be tracking well ATM

There is a little bit of pain to come.... But education requires floggings to teach valuable lessons.

Kids will learn more from losses, mistakes and being beaten by opponents than visa versa...

Agreed!

Bad management is bad management
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

So far so good.

Let's tank against Essendon and beat the Lions.

There's a real chance of 5 wins this season which is a good amount for where we are at.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:So far so good.

There's a real chance of 5 wins this season which is a good amount for where we are at.

Tank against a side that will likely smash us anyway. Where do you come up with these things?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Tank against a side that will likely smash us anyway. Where do you come up with these things?

Lack of any real understanding.

Oh and we all know we will cop floggings. Lets see how much nerve trhe average Saints supporter has when we are still getting it even worse next season as we lose Lenny, Joey, Fish, Roo etc....

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

BigMart wrote:Seem to be tracking well ATM

Very good post.

Makes some of your other contributions even more baffling.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Lack of any real understanding.

Oh and we all know we will cop floggings. Lets see how much nerve trhe average Saints supporter has when we are still getting it even worse next season as we lose Lenny, Joey, Fish, Roo etc....
But we'll be on the way up by then according to club spin won't we?

By tanking what I meant is rest players. Not the usual definition of tanking. It does have a few definitions remember

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Club has worked well to turn a new leaf. It had been a very trying past few years post 2010. Possibly the most challenging period in the club's history. Looks as though we're finally gaining momentum to move onwards and upwards since then.

Can't see why we can't get another shot at it in four or five years as the memebership campaign catch cry ("Road to 2018") suggests.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Well said Sainternist! Well said!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:But education requires floggings to teach valuable lessons.
Don't use that line in your next job interview.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
BigMart wrote:But education requires floggings to teach valuable lessons.
Don't use that line in your next job interview.
Gold. Post of the decade!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What

It's the basis of most of my teachings?!