Wright Injury

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Wright Injury

Nathan has a suspected broken Fibula!! Looks like another bad break for the kid, he will now probably miss most of the year. Does that open the door for Shenton to be called up?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Wright Injury

The fibula is the small bone in the lower leg. Hopefully won't miss more than 6 weeks. Still a shame though, really like the way Wright goes about it.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:The fibula is the small bone in the lower leg. Hopefully won't miss more than 6 weeks. Still a shame though, really like the way Wright goes about it.

me too but you would think 6 weeks then match conditioning at Sandy so not good for him he's been really unlucky with injury. It's not someone with a congenital weakness just too hard at the contest I think.

Shenton should get a go if he can get a spot. He plays that rebounding back role well. Milera sounds like he had a killer game too.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Nathan knows no fear..I'm so impressed with this guy.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
linz
Club Player

I am very impressed with Nathan. Gutsy player. I'm hoping for the best.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I heard 10-12 weeks.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

If its Fibula he will miss 6 at the max.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Put Gears perma-back again, bring in Seb. Kicked three, averaging about 25 he is ready to come in.

As for Wright, life just isn't fair sometimes but he will bounce back, he is still showing great signs for a second year player

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Put Gears perma-back again, bring in Seb. Kicked three, averaging about 25 he is ready to come in.

As for Wright, life just isn't fair sometimes but he will bounce back, he is still showing great signs for a second year player
Agree, I don't think we can afford to have both Gears & CJ running through the middle… the turn-overs are just too costly and this is amplified when playing decent sides.

Unfortunately for Shenton, I think we have plenty of medium defenders on the main list already… Dunell, Roberton, Acres, Markworth, Simpkin could all potentially replace Wright and that's without Gilbert and Fisher.

We are still short on mids and currently only have one decent forward. I would be elevating Weller if an injury allows it… Milera & Lee need to be rewarded to add some attacking options.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
St Ick wrote:Put Gears perma-back again, bring in Seb. Kicked three, averaging about 25 he is ready to come in.

Agree, I don't think we can afford to have both Gears & CJ running through the middle… the turn-overs are just too costly and this is amplified when playing decent sides.

Unfortunately for Shenton, I think we have plenty of medium defenders on the main list already… Dunell, Roberton, Acres, Markworth, Simpkin could all potentially replace Wright and that's without Gilbert and Fisher.

We are still short on mids and currently only have one decent forward. I would be elevating Weller if an injury allows it… Milera & Lee need to be rewarded to add some attacking options.
Weller played a lot of footy as a rebound defender at GCS. We actually don't have many running backs with out Roberton, Gilbert and Wright. Geary is more of a small defender than a rebounder. We need guys who can tuck the ball under their arm, run 50 meters and unload out of the back line. Simpkin is a KPD that plays man on man, markworth is a lead up mid sized forward ideally, Dunnell is a utility with no real tricks and Acres was in the DS lst week after a long lay off.

I thought that was one of the glaring differences with us and the crows... they carried the ball out easily while we struggled to move the ball out of their back line. Gilbert would have made a massive difference. Weller or Shents for me.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Fibula. Surgery. 10-12 weeks. Poor bugger.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-04-1 ... ury-update

Always loyal
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Poor bugga - he is possibly the hardest cat in our side. He will be back.

Is it time for the WolfMan?

PJ
SS Life Member

Yep time to give the cougar a crack at it. Otherwise it's time to delist him, make or break time.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Stupid act by Geary

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Saints94
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:Yep time to give the cougar a crack at it. Otherwise it's time to delist him, make or break time.
+1, IMO he doesn't look up to it but very happy to be proven wrong.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Sad for Wright, could be done with seniors for the year. Hopefully manages to keep some fitness up through the injury.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Get him 100% right for next year,reckon he will be very good player for us.Dont need to rush him back this year,unless he can come back and get match fit,for what last 2-3 games

Bring on Shenton,like the look of him and by all accounts has worked hard and is now getting results for effort

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
PJ wrote:Yep time to give the cougar a crack at it. Otherwise it's time to delist him, make or break time.
+1, IMO he doesn't look up to it but very happy to be proven wrong.

Shenton has had one quarter of AFL footy to be written off. He was fantastic off the backline last year and has continued his form in 2014 so hard to say with out giving him three or four senior games and seeing if he adapts. Plenty take VFL form and run with it and plenty don't i think he could be a player. He has unfortunately been playing his best footy in a role that we have plenty of others in front of him. His chance might come now.

PJ
SS Life Member

My point being he's at the end of his time allowed as a rookie - this may be his only chance to make an impression - if allowed.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't be writing off his year completely. He could still play 8 or 9 games and we need to keep getting experience into these guys.

Saints94
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:I wouldn't be writing off his year completely. He could still play 8 or 9 games and we need to keep getting experience into these guys.
+1 lets hope so, he can then attack the pre season with confidence in his leg.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Surely Shenton

He and Weller are breaking the door down

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Surely Shenton

Isnt Simpkin breaking it harder and he is on the list. Shenton looks like a very average AFL footballer to me. Vant see his type helping our side improve. Simpkin probably in the same boat. we lack class as it is down back.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Isnt Simpkin breaking it harder and he is on the list. Shenton looks like a very average AFL footballer to me. Vant see his type helping our side improve. Simpkin probably in the same boat. we lack class as it is down back.

Simpkin doesn't help with run and carry out of the backline. I don't think it suits Newnes that role and he's better since getting a bit more of a run up the ground and with Gilbert, Roberton and Wright gone there is a glaring whole to fill. I would think Dunnell or Markworth might be able to adapt to a role like that but Shenton has been a very consistent player in that role in the VFL. I think it would be worth a go as he has some dash and is an attacking defender in the same way Gilbert is. It's very hard to tell who will make the grade with out trying them there.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Simpkin doesn't help with run and carry out of the backline. I don't think it suits Newnes that role and he's better since getting a bit more of a run up the ground and with Gilbert, Roberton and Wright gone there is a glaring whole to fill. I would think Dunnell or Markworth might be able to adapt to a role like that but Shenton has been a very consistent player in that role in the VFL. I think it would be worth a go as he has some dash and is an attacking defender in the same way Gilbert is. It's very hard to tell who will make the grade with out trying them there.

See this is where I disagree with you. He has a chance to star in the seconds. he goes ok. He isnt going to all of sudden be a good player in a hugely better grade of footy. We have coaches who see these games weekly and they can tell if a guy is up to it or not without seeing him play that position in the seniors.