Player Ratings: Rd 4 v Adelaide

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Player Ratings: Rd 4 v Adelaide

Hayes - 8: Not a vintage Lenny game but still was our best. Great attack, good disposal, but missed a goal he could have kicked.
Ray - 7: Standard game for him, tried hard and was involved a lot without doing a huge amount of damage.
Riewoldt - 7: Good battle with Talia. Missed one he should have kicked and made uncharacteristic mistakes by foot. But still very solid.
Newnes - 7: Probably his best game for mine, showing signs of very good disposal. Work to do but improving.
Saunders - 7: Promising game especially in the second half when it was one way traffic. Lots to like.
Dunstan - 7: Solid but faded in the last and made mistakes. Still very good for game number 4.
Steven - 6.5: Never really found much space and wasn't hugely damaging. Obviously will be great when he finds touch though.

Stanley - 6: I actually thought he was good though he's very frustrating at times. Presents OK then goes missing for a quarter.
Jones - 6: Classic CJ game. Ran around a lot, found the footy, made some mistakes. Had a bunch of his possessions in junk time. But still tried hard.
Geary - 6: Did a solid job on Betts and was OK with the ball. Hard down back when there's an avalanche.
Delaney - 5.5: Pods kicked three but a couple of lucky ones, I actually though Delaney was OK. Not classy but big and willing.
Armitage - 5.5: Disappointing for mine, just didn't impact the game enough in a midfield that was being smashed.
Dempster - 5: OK coming out of defence but beaten badly in a few one on ones. Tough day for him.

Gwilt - 4.5: Not sure why he was sent forward but he wasn't too effective down there. Not agile enough for that.
Longer - 4.5: His opponent was BOG and Billy only had one kick. But his ruckwork showed some positive signs.
Savage - 4.5: His best game for us - only because he kicked a goal. Still doesn't get the ball anywhere near enough.
Templeton - 4.5: Did a couple of good things but by and large couldn't get near it. Well held.
Montagna - 4: Absolutely blanketed by Kerridge who kicked a couple of goals of his own. Too small to shake a physical tag easily.
Webster - 4: Shocker for him, couldn't do much right and was part of a defence which conceded a lot of goals.
Curren - 3.5: Not sure what his job was but all of their midfielders went well. Doesn't find much of it which is a concern.
Maister - 3: Didn't get any of it up forward then was badly beaten in defence. Missed a set shot from 20m. Can't play next week.
Wright - 0: Barely touched it before Gears cleaned him up.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Player Ratings: Rd 4 v Adelaide

I like your ratings as usual bergholt - but I think you are a bit love struck with Len-dog which is an understandable ailment.
No way he deserved an 8 today with his disposal.
Some of those high loopy kicks to noone when under no pressure were shockers.
And I think Gwilt had to be worth more than a 4.5.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Curren was one of my only winners for the day. apart from getting pushed out of the way in a marking contest he frustrated the crap out of Dangerfield. I would have said a 7 or 8 for a very disciplined heavy tag with out the Collingwood style scragging.

gwilt was good as a forward and thought that was a decent move.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Current was super, it wasn't his fault we were belted, danger field only had 19 touches in a game where they had nearly 100 more disposals. 7/10 for mine

I thought Jones was just terrible, his kicking particularly early on was disgraceful. 3

Templeton was pretty bad, but it's only his 4th game. 3

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I watched Stanley carefully today. He's one of the reasons this team can't compete against the good teams. He's lazy and a little soft. Just doesn't impose himself. We NEED big bodies to help the kids out. He's in his 5th year and has done nothing. Is being played on potential only because of his athletic qualities - and he doesn't use those qualities nearly enough.

Savage so far has been a massive disappointment. Maybe I expected too much. He looks too light, and gets pushed around too easily for a guy in his 4-5th year as well. Has no tank.

These two guys I thought are at the age/experience where they simply have to take the next step.

Maister is simply not at AFL standard.

Some of the kids look really promising. Thought Dunstan was great (who cares about the last quarter, they were all pretty crap by then)
Eli gets himself into some dangerous positions. Obviously didn't do much today but I hold out hope.
Thought Saunders really imposed himself when he came on.

The way the ball was delivered into the Crows fwd line today made it pretty hard for the backs, but I thought they did okay for the most part. Our mids were poor today. They got some really clean clearances where guys were able to stroll away and do what they want.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Forget ratings and just look at their actually ability at this stage of their career and they may have been Joeys worst ever game. I dont think it was helped by where he seemed to be playing.

bergsone
SS Life Member

IMO Savage seems a good player in a very good side

A good player in a good side

A average player in a average side

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:IMO Savage seems a good player in a very good side

The term is "Frontrunner" or for those with a winter disposition "Downhill Skiier"

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
bergsone
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote:

The term is "Frontrunner" or for those with a winter disposition "Downhill Skiier"
Yeah you said it much better than me :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Yeah you said it much better than me :wink:

Reckon both of you are far to nice.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:IMO Savage seems a decent player in a very good side

An average player in a decent side

A poor player in an average side

Unwatchable in a poor side
Edited slightly.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Newman
Club Player

Maister huge disappointment.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:

This also applies to players who only perform against crap teams. eg, betts

spert
Saintsational Legend

I thought there was only two positives from yesterday's poor effort. 1. Steven will be better for the run 2. Saunders put his hand up for more senior games.

Too many negatives to go on hugely about- a poor team game with terrible defensive work from the forwards and midfield, and I expect Richo will be reviewing some of his tactical work too. Too many players let their opponents run off them and set up play resulting in Crow goals.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I like your ratings as usual bergholt - but I think you are a bit love struck with Len-dog which is an understandable ailment.
No way he deserved an 8 today with his disposal.
Some of those high loopy kicks to noone when under no pressure were shockers.
And I think Gwilt had to be worth more than a 4.5.
Probably right on Lenny, I still think he was our best and most effective - at least he was winning the ball in the midfield all day.

I can't get behind you on Gwilt though. Apart from kicking that one goal I thought he was anonymous up forward.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Curren was one of my only winners for the day. apart from getting pushed out of the way in a marking contest he frustrated the crap out of Dangerfield. I would have said a 7 or 8 for a very disciplined heavy tag with out the Collingwood style scragging.
You're probably right there, I honestly don't notice Dangerfield out there and so didn't pick up that Curren was running with him.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Lenny had a crack, but his disposal was ordinary and didn't help the forwards at all, and as a result not very effective. I think Richo put Gwilt in the forward line to try and play a defensive game, as the forwards didn't lead, played from behind, and just sat on their backsides for most of the game and watched the Crows run away from half back in numbers, so he had to make some kind of move.