Are their good signs?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Are their good signs?

Three games in we've won two and lost one with a lot predicting we will finish at or near the bottom.

As an eternal optimist ( I'd like to think so) it isn't so much about how many but how we go about things IMO.

Are the signs good? So far the answer to that is yes. We seem to have turned into a side ( maybe we were all along) that gives it a red hot go and doesn't give up.

I was impressed by what the Weagles coach had to say about us after the game.

"All credit to St Kilda. They did come over with a hunt mentality. I think we lost a lot of the inside ball, contested ball, first possession, clearances, all the things that you base your game around.

It's really simple. Every league, every club has the same sort of philosophy; you've got to win that side of the game to give yourself a good chance of winning. I know we got the points but they gave themselves every chance by winning that battle.”

Then I looked at the stats over the past three weeks. The Saints have won the contested-possession count and the clearances in each of their three games so far this season.

That is massive in my view. I really have a strong feeling that our current coach is the goods. I also have a strong feeling he is the bloke who is going to deliver the goods on that day in September in the not too distant future.

I never had that feeling about Ross Lyon even though he took us to the brink a couple of times. The same reason why I don't think he will ever do it with Fremantle either.

The players seem to love Richo and have bought into his coaching style. We might lose more than we win this season but I reckon the signs are there and I am enjoying the journey.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are their good signs?

Effort has been a positive

bergsone
SS Life Member

Signs are better than this time last year,reckon they will even get better as year rolls on.Regardless of overall results

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Yes there are good signs, we probably won't win too many, but I doubt we'll cop too many floggings!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:Signs are better than this time last year,reckon they will even get better as year rolls on.Regardless of overall results
This time last year the there was similar pressue and intensity but lower skills and more turnovers. Plus we didn't win our first two!

Let's hope the expected fade out late in the season isn't too great

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I agree - good post

Clearly Richo likes the basics of the game but it's another thing to get the side playing across the park this way and so far he has. That's a great sign IMO

Is weird but he gives me a feeling there is a bit of depth to what he's putting in place - I never got that feeling with Watters

“Yeah….nah””
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

It's way too premature to judge on the basis of 3 games, but IMHO the mix of old and young is pretty good.
Roo, Monty, Hayes, Gwilt, etc have all tasted good wins and finals footy, and can pass on all that experience to Eli, Dunstan, Billings etc, who have just started and seem to be the real deal.
The youngsters' exuberance will fire up the oldies, who know they can share the load better.
No more angry BJ dropping his head, or Dal being jaded at gettin tagged week in, week out, putting pressure on others to step up.

The younguns look like they WANT to write their names in the history book.
Imagine them looking at the names on each locker.
Youngsters these days have this attitude of "I want it" and I reckon they are so keen to make a stand.
Good on em and you know Richo can harness this nuclear weapon of youth, he helped the Power, look at Ollie Wines and the others.
Put faith in em. Trust em and teach em that you work your butt off and you can do anything.
Fear is no good- CJ is scared of kicking "handball i gotta handball!"
Siposs- don't know what his issue is
Maister's marking ? Wtf
Dal "oh here's another tagger..."
BJ drop the head and sulk
Our young crop (I include Jack) so far don't appear to be overawed.
Runnin of the bulls, is what they be doing.
"Bring it on " they say

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee