Where Will We Be in a Year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Where Will We Be in a Year?

Things seem to be shaping up OK with some of the younger players, which raises a question about how long this rebuild is going to take?

Start of 2015

(italics mean they're a chance to be gone by then)

more than 200 games: Fisher, Montagna, Riewoldt, Schneider, Hayes
100 to 200 games: Armitage, Dempster, Geary, Gilbert, Gwilt, Jones, Ray
60 to 100 games: Roberton, Savage, Steven
40 to 60 games: Delaney, Hickey, Newnes, Stanley, Maister
20 to 40 games: Bruce, Curren, Lee, Ross, Saunders, Siposs, Webster, Wright, Dennis-Lane, Milera, Simpkin, Weller
0 to 20 games: Acres, Baker-Thomas, Billings, Dunstan, Holmes, Longer, Markworth, Murdoch, Pierce, Templeton, White, Dunell, Minchington, Shenton

Still a solid experienced core above 100 games, but not many in the crucial bracket between 40 and 100 games. So while we might be competitive next year, I can't see us quite being solid and consistent enough to challenge for finals.

But there's heaps of potential with less than 40 games so it makes sense to try to look forward to 2016. (Obviously it gets pretty ropey looking two years out but it's worth trying.)

Start of 2016

more than 200 games: Montagna, Ray, Fisher, Riewoldt, Schneider
100 to 200 games: Armitage, Dempster, Geary, Gilbert, Gwilt, Steven, Jones
60 to 100 games: Delaney, Hickey, Newnes, Roberton, Savage, Stanley
40 to 60 games: Bruce, Curren, Lee, Ross, Saunders, Webster, Wright, Milera, Simpkin, Siposs
20 to 40 games: Billings, Dunstan, Longer, Markworth, Murdoch, Templeton, Dunell
0 to 20 games: Acres, Pierce, Baker-Thomas, Holmes, White + two years' worth of draftees

Starting to look a lot more balanced through the core of the list. Depending on how these less than 60 game guys develop, it looks like we could actually be pretty competitive in 2016. Still doesn't seem to be enough established star power to win a flag but Acres, Billings, Dunstan, Longer, Markworth and Templeton should be really starting to find their feet consistently at AFL level.

We could be feeling pretty optimistic! And that's just two years away.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where Will We Be in a Year?

I was at a friends house last night and one of the guys there Father is the head of recruitment at a certain club. he said that doing the rounds is Joey is still on the table for the right pick. I argued that he was just resigned but he then said that was to put us in the stronger position. Cant see him going but it was very interesting discussion.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I was at a friends house last night and one of the guys there Father is the head of recruitment at a certain club. he said that doing the rounds is Joey is still on the table for the right pick. I argued that he was just resigned but he then said that was to put us in the stronger position. Cant see him going but it was very interesting discussion.
I was having a similar discussion with mates last night. He's worth more to us than a second round pick, but if we could get a first round pick for him then I think we'd absolutely take it. While he's playing well, I just can't see someone giving up pick 15 for a 31 year old. So the only way I could see it happening is if there was a Heath Shaw/Taylor Adams style trade - except Joey's a bit older so probably worth less than Shaw.

How about Joey + our second round pick for Patton? That'd be food for thought for Pelchen.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I was at a friends house last night and one of the guys there Father is the head of recruitment at a certain club. he said that doing the rounds is Joey is still on the table for the right pick. I argued that he was just resigned but he then said that was to put us in the stronger position. Cant see him going but it was very interesting discussion.
I was having a similar discussion with mates last night. He's worth more to us than a second round pick, but if we could get a first round pick for him then I think we'd absolutely take it. While he's playing well, I just can't see someone giving up pick 15 for a 31 year old. So the only way I could see it happening is if there was a Heath Shaw/Taylor Adams style trade - except Joey's a bit older so probably worth less than Shaw.

How about Joey + our second round pick for Patton? That'd be food for thought for Pelchen.

Love the trade. Reckon GWS wouldnt though. I think he would have to go to a club who is a realistic chance of winning the flag in the next 3 years. Dont think GWS are near that yet.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I reckon everyone over the age of 25 would be on the table for the right price - except Reiwoldt. Im not saying we would be actively shopping them around,but if a club were to approach us with a very good offer for say Joey - the club would look at it. Pelchen did state they aimed to have another 3 picks in the top 20 this year. Arguably we may get 2 from ladder position which obviously means the 3rd is going to come from some kind of trade deal. Will be fascinating to watch at years end, as I reckon its going to be some kind of 2 for 1 deal eg our 2nd or 3rd round pick + player for another clubs first round.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Well the mark has been set with the McEvoy trade.

What you trade is a player with currency to get quality.

We got Dunstan, Acres and the steak knives for McEvoy.

Doubt we could get that for a 31 y,o.

Also we dont want to end up like Melbourne getting flogged every week. Look at Melb v WCE and Saints v WCE.

We cant get rid of our experience otherwise we will be down for a decade

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Where will be in 2015, despite our good start, actually think we will be right where we are.
I do think Lenny will retire at the end of this year, and for me it is looking more likely Fisher may to as I think he has a chronic problem that isn't going to get better anytime soon.
Right now, as funny as it sounds, we don't want success to come too fast, as we want at least another 5 or 6 to twenty draft picks over the next two seasons to top up our list.
Doubt we will even consider free agency until the end of 2015.
2016 is the year, all going well, we commence to march again. We showed yesterday that we can be very competitive and are capable of knocking off teams, I am hopeful we can roll Adelaide this week, though the one caution I have would be how much last night might have taken out of the younger boys.
But that will happen, there are going to be times when we will get flogged this year and next, it is part of learning experience.
The good news is that in a few years, we will be smashing those teams that give us those floggings while they attempt to rebuild their lists.
We've made a good start, but there is a long way to go, it is still early morning on our premiership clock.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Sitting on the couch reading this thread

:D 8-)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Just going on where we think Pelchen's mind is - that doesnt sound too fanciful at all.
I think for a top 20 - wed seriously consider it. ....

The question is who would do it on the other side? Have to be a side who think they can win the flag next year and that Joey is what they need.

Port? Gold Coast? Eagles?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Plugger, once again but in English this time?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Too many good players being traded might tear the heart out of our club though.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
FQF
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:Too many good players being traded might tear the heart out of our club though.
Judging by the on field morale it does not appear that any passion or heart has been lost from this group. On the contrary, the team and especially the younger crew seems extremely close and bonded.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Prefer we keep him.great value as a leader and will be there when Lenny and Roo are gone.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:I argued that he (edit: Joey) was just resigned :?
Resigned to what Pluggs???

Being traded, us not quite beating the E-girls this time round, global warming, hipsters in the Edinburgh Gardens, what...? :?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

Being traded, us not quite beating the E-girls this time round, global warming, hipsters in the Edinburgh Gardens, what...? :?

Forgot the gap. What are E girls? got know idea of the rest.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

Forgot the gap. What are E girls? got know idea of the rest.
E-girls, purple puke, ectc live in same universe as someone called 'rooy'. :P

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Too many good players being traded might tear the heart out of our club though.

flowering oath....and leave the young guys to get flogged each week as happened to the dees...who may never recover..despite roos.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
loris
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Sitting on the couch reading this thread

With the Beatles yeah, yeahing away in the background :wink:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:

And probably getting older; losing his hair..... :P

loris
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
loris wrote:

And probably getting older; losing his hair..... :P
Do you really think 'stevie' will be 64 next year?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

My hair has long gone! Well, after I shave my head every couple of days it is.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:My hair has long gone! Well, after I shave my head every couple of days it is.
:shock:

Well I suppose loris won't be sending you a valentine, birthday greetings or bottle of wine then :wink: 8-)

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
stevie wrote:My hair has long gone! Well, after I shave my head every couple of days it is.
:shock:

Well I suppose loris won't be sending you a valentine, birthday greetings or bottle of wine then :wink: 8-)
A Beatles wig would great. Yeah, yeah, yeah it would...

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

hopefully at the Junction Oval.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

>>>>below shoulder length hair all round
:D

but i digress

i would keep joey
always said choice of joey or dal to go then dal it is