Lyon re-signs for two more years

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Lyon re-signs for two more years

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Lyon re-signs for two more years

I was tempted to post this, but I felt like it would be unproductive.

But now that you have, I will comment and say that all of us who believed that Lyon would jump ship at Freo after their peak seem to have been wrong.

Granted, they should still be very competitive in 2017, but it will nonetheless involve some sort of list development and transitioning - something we didn't think Ross was up for.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Contracts and Lyon mean SFA to each other

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
FQF
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Contracts and Lyon mean SFA to each other
What do you mean? When has Lyon not honoured a contract?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:I was tempted to post this, but I felt like it would be unproductive.

But now that you have, I will comment and say that all of us who believed that Lyon would jump ship at Freo after their peak seem to have been wrong.

Granted, they should still be very competitive in 2017, but it will nonetheless involve some sort of list development and transitioning - something we didn't think Ross was up for.
Maybe not but I reckon ultimately he will deliver GF success at Fremantle. Not to say he's the best coach but the best prepared. I reckon he would have softened our downward descent had he stayed. I'm sure he probably wouldn't have taken us to the ultimate success so from his perspective he did the best thing. He should congratulate Nettlefold for releasing him. Nettlefold was before his time! At least Finnis will respect the position and bring integrity to it.

FQF
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:

Maybe not but I reckon ultimately he will deliver GF success at Fremantle. Not to say he's the best coach but the best prepared. I reckon he would have softened our downward descent had he stayed. I'm sure he probably wouldn't have taken us to the ultimate success so from his perspective he did the best thing. He should congratulate Nettlefold for releasing him. Nettlefold was before his time! At least Finnis will respect the position and bring integrity to it.
I will refrain from congratulating Nettlefold for releasing him for a few more seasons. Nothing, and I mean nothing, good has come of it yet.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:

I will refrain from congratulating Nettlefold for releasing him for a few more seasons. Nothing, and I mean nothing, good has come of it yet.
Absolutely correct!

FQF
SS Life Member

Ah I misread your post.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Or Ross has lost a bit of gloss losing his fourth grand final.

Maybe he needs job security now.

FQF
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:

Or Ross has lost a bit of gloss losing his fourth grand final.

Maybe he needs job security now.
Ross is widely considered in the absolute elite category of current coaches - probably top two. He could get a coaching gig at pretty much any club who is looking, and he could probably encourage many clubs to replace their current coach as was the case with Freo. He has not lost any gloss.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Exactly !
If in 2 or 3 years he hasn't won a premiership , he may start looking elsewhere .
and if in that time he hasn't won a flag , Freo would be unlikely to extend his contract any further .

In red white and black from 73
FQF
SS Life Member

mr six o'clock wrote:
Exactly !
If in 2 or 3 years he hasn't won a premiership , he may start looking elsewhere .
and if in that time he hasn't won a flag , Freo would be unlikely to extend his contract any further .
Are you aware that contracts only bind parties to their obligations for the time the contract is agreed to operate?

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Who cares?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:
Exactly !
Are you aware that contracts only bind parties to their obligations for the time the contract is agreed to operate?
Me don't know nufthink !
but didn't richo have a contract to be an assistant coach at PA this year

In red white and black from 73
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
What do you mean? When has Lyon not honoured a contract?
My thoughts exactly.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

defacto
Club Player

great work Netters. another one of his legacies. netters did not get 1 coaching appointment correct

can talk the talk like a good salesman, problem is he couldnt implement his talk for s***. good riddance

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

defacto wrote:great work Netters. another one of his legacies. netters did not get 1 coaching appointment correct

can talk the talk like a good salesman, problem is he couldnt implement his talk for s***. good riddance
PLUS 1 Trillion!!!!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

look for me i think enough time has past since that day when ross packed up his bags to freo ... with a fair bit of reflection during this time on how Ross was with St Kilda, how St Kilda was with ross lyon , how Lyon is with Freo and how Freo is with Ross Lyon ive come to the following conclusions on some strongly held beliefs :

1. Ross Lyon didnt destroy us.... time is the thing that killed us, we had many years up top and lost very little by way of our core playing list in that time (Luke Ball prob the only one) with that we didnt have the picks to filter kids through the team to avoid the current rebuild, now people will blame Ross for this but the question i ask is what more could he or his team do? draft picks dont just appear and i dont think anyone would have wanted us to trade any of the core group during that period , i mean the only players who would have snared us decent picks you would class as untouchable when you are looking for a flag ... the list getting older and the picks that we did get in the draft not living up to expectation is what killed us

2. Ross Lyon did the dirty on us - lets be honest here our club isnt afraid to sack a coach be it for wrong or right reasons... honestly i think the main thing Ross wanted was job security .. there have been rumors and rumblings that Ross had financial problems whatever in my eyes all Ross wanted was security (not a unfair thing for a bloke with a family to want).. how Ross dealt with the acceptance of the Freo job how he negotiated the deal and how he kept us in the dark wasnt great but hey its a dog eat dog world and sometimes you gotta play a little bit dirty to come out the winner

3. St Kilda stuffed up by not signing him earlier - as abvoe our club are not afraid to sack someone but at the same time they dont like getting burnt by having to payout coaches that they were too quick to give extentions to ... Ross had every right to want an extention he was a two time grand finalist coach - the club had every right to hold off on signing him we were in a slump in the first half of the year and we already had an in principal agreement that Ross would be there in the final year of his contract the next year , the club had no need to rush the decision at the time hinesight will show we should have shown some urgency

4. St Kilda would be in a worse state had Ross stayed - i dont think so .. the list needed rebuilding regardless of who was coach

5. Ross cant/wont do a rebuild - i think thats just wrong i think Ross would have done a rebuild with st Kilda had we put the contract infront of him when he was feeling like his job was not secure ...

6. Ross lyon will destroy freo - unlike us Freo have a very strong financcial situation Freo have got Ross to coach the team thats all they see he is the best game day coach in the land so they leave him do do just that .. the list building the trades the delistings are done by their hugely funded strongly resourced recruitment team .

all in all it was an ugly divorce... both sides came off looking a bit like the bad guys both sides prob wish some things were done better but i think well and truely both sides have moved on its only us supporters that still hold a grudge and are still dissapointed by the situation . one thing is for sure Lyon had the players at St Kilda (yes some were disgruntled but for the most Ross had full buy in from the team) and Lyon has the players at Freo that in itself say alot about Ross Lyon as a coach

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

TOP POST st trav! Why oh WHY are we STILL going on about this? RIDICULOUS to wring our hands and agonize about something that happened THREE seasons ago! For goodness sake let us MOVE ON!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think it's great to talk about...

In all it's infamous glory.

Good few years in it yet, topic is only in its infancy.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

It seems that the majority of this forum operate under the assumption that the board could have gotten Lyon to stay. Maybe they could of, but maybe Lyon was always going to leave, especially when even Lyon had finally come to the conclusion that the window had shut and that it was going to be LONG winter?

Bad management is bad management
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I think it's great to talk about...

In all it's infamous glory.

Good few years in it yet, topic is only in its infancy.
We need to celebrate it

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:It seems that the majority of this forum operate under the assumption that the board could have gotten Lyon to stay. Maybe they could of, but maybe Lyon was always going to leave, especially when even Lyon had finally come to the conclusion that the window had shut and that it was going to be LONG winter?
He was the one that put contract talks on hold

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

They will be no good in 2017.

As we have learnt you can't readily replace 5 gun players.
McPharlin, Sandilands, Pavlich, Crowley, Johnson.

Thats 5 All Australians right there.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:They will be no good in 2017.

As we have learnt you can't readily replace 5 gun players.
McPharlin, Sandilands, Pavlich, Crowley, Johnson.

Thats 5 All Australians right there.
very true. May have won a premiership by then