It wasn't pretty but it was an effective year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

It wasn't pretty but it was an effective year

We looked terrible this year at times with our off field decisions and moves and had several PR nightmares, but in the end, I think the Saints have managed to manoeuvre the Club into a much better position than this time last year. Capped off by the good Rookie selections, our personnel changes are on the whole very positive...our way of doing it left alot to be desired...hopefully we can have a better 2014 with the new team.

Nee!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: It wasn't pretty but it was an effective year

Fugazi check to see if you have any private mail if not let me know.

When returned from Europe in 2013 we were already out of contention.
I hope that when I return in 2014 we will at least still be in contention.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

IT's mostly been at the draft and trade table. Long term decisions over short term ones. Brave trading. Better selections leading to a more balanced list, with all those added being young enough to give us at least 100 games (if good enough).

Our playing list is in far better shape than it was at the end of 2011. If we continue with the same strategy next year, then we'll be in an even stronger mid to long term position

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Still fuming that Dal Santo left however if it due to a grand plan of ideally multiple quality ruckmen on the list then it is a great call.

How we cannot afford to pay out TDL's contract is beyond me, he is completely useless.

ace
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:Still fuming that Dal Santo left however if it due to a grand plan of ideally multiple quality ruckmen on the list then it is a great call.

How we cannot afford to pay out TDL's contract is beyond me, he is completely useless.
First we have to pay out TDL's recruiter Scott Watters.
Watters pay out is not within the salary cap but the AFL would not be prepared to open their gold vault for us if we were to pay out a player's contract too.
You need to appear frugal if you want any of Demetriou's gold.
Of course Eddie claims all of this gold is really his.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:We looked terrible this year at times with our off field decisions and moves and had several PR nightmares, but in the end, I think the Saints have managed to manoeuvre the Club into a much better position than this time last year. Capped off by the good Rookie selections, our personnel changes are on the whole very positive...our way of doing it left alot to be desired...hopefully we can have a better 2014 with the new team.
I agree.

Everyone has had a bit of a field day with the Saints ... hopeless club etc ... but they won't be so dismissive in a year or so.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

You can clearly see things taking shape at St Kilda. The notion of putting a plan into place appears evident. Considering our success over the last ten years, a year or two or three down the bottom of the table is acceptable when you a good strong solid light at the end of the tunnel. The important thing is the tunnel is short and the train keeps moving toward the light. Promising signs and good times ahead. I'm pretty stoked with what we have done off season so far. Amazing job Saints.

My guess for the future is we will do a deal with the AFL. We become Wellington-St Kilda Saints in return for stand alone VFL team and refurb of Moorabbin. Ostensibly it will allow us to grow our membership considerably without losing our identity mitigated by the VFL team. Then we can start to get AFL games back at Moorabbin. But this won't happen imo until the Dome is sorted and paid for.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Munga
Saintsational Legend

It was the year we had to have! We had to get good picks without tanking, we had to use them wisely.
I think we nailed it.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
FQF
SS Life Member

Personally very happy with the way things are going. A few twists and turn, but always in the right direction.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Trading and drafting had been excellent.

My biggest worry is membership in 2014. Reckon we will be screwed financially

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:Still fuming that Dal Santo left however if it due to a grand plan of ideally multiple quality ruckmen on the list then it is a great call.

have to agree with both comments...

as an aside ...north basically got dal for nothing......delaney was no more and no less than a back up backman..key position.......,but has now been replaced by tippet who may even turn out to be a better player....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:IT's mostly been at the draft and trade table. Long term decisions over short term ones. Brave trading. Better selections leading to a more balanced list, with all those added being young enough to give us at least 100 games (if good enough).

Our playing list is in far better shape than it was at the end of 2011. If we continue with the same strategy next year, then we'll be in an even stronger mid to long term position
better than 2011 certainly......yet to be seen if the 2014 list is any better than our 2013 list.....

gone are players such as, kosi, milne, blake mcevoy and dal

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'll be happy with 6-7 wins in 2014.
We need some improvement from the kids - thats for sure - and we need a few wins to keep the fans/members/sponsors happy.

I want to win every single game in the heat of battle - but long term I feel if we rise too high next year we might get stuck in the 6-9th 'mediocre trap' of Carlton, North and the Tiges.

I think we are better off with another bottom 4 finish and then attack the draft again for 1 or 2 more elite players.

Then from there we can have a serious crack at a flag in a few years time (If our kids are good enough).

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I doubt the new coach would be happy with 6/7 wins, nor should supporters be. Realistically that is probably where we are at, I agree, but there is nothing wrong with setting your sights high.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:I doubt the new coach would be happy with 6/7 wins, nor should supporters be. Realistically that is probably where we are at, I agree, but there is nothing wrong with setting your sights high.
Mine are set on a flag.
If Coach gets 7 wins, 9 wins, 12 wins in the next 3 years he will get an extension imo.
Club looking for a flag in 5 years time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bigcarl wrote:I doubt the new coach would be happy with 6/7 wins, nor should supporters be. Realistically that is probably where we are at, I agree, but there is nothing wrong with setting your sights high.
Mine are set on a flag.
If Coach gets 7 wins, 9 wins, 12 wins in the next 3 years he will get an extension imo.
Club looking for a flag in 5 years time.

I reckon we will go something like 5 wins, 4 wins, 8 wins and 12 wins by 2017. Then lets hope we can go to the GF 2 years after that.

oldie60
Club Player

Ideally we would should be looking at an overall improvement with out setting to high a standard allowing for some of the youngsters to get the exposure required for them to learn that the season does not finish after one game. This whole process should not be rushed and allowed to develop. Anything we get above and beyond this past season should be looked at as a real positive step in the right direction. Match hardness and conditioning will take time as well as all the other components required to become competitive.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We came out of a pretty ordinary situation ..... In a better position

Yes, somehow we landed on our feet

Longer, Bruce at bargain prices... Offset bad losses

AR appt was a positive I hope

We drafted well

2013 was a disaster in many respects, out of Ashes is rebirth... And a quick descent in disaster, can mean quicker rejuvenation

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Trading and drafting had been excellent.

My biggest worry is membership in 2014. Reckon we will be screwed financially

yes, i think member ship in 2014 will be pretty bad. not much can be done i suppose.