Jamie Shanahan being interviewed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Jamie Shanahan being interviewed

on sen currently-
regarding stress and who and how players may have suffered.

http://www.sen.com.au/mediaplayer

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saint6709
Club Player

Re: Jamie Shanahan being interviewed

saintbrat wrote:on sen currently-

Is he talking in general or about the saints??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Is he getting interviewed for one of the assistant coach positions?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:on sen currently-

Is he talking in general or about the saints??

just general chat really- but given the topic in media today with Trott they asked about nerves and games. he mentioned some of the behaviours that players exhibited.

said only player you couldn't tell was Burkey- but he also didn't make a lot of sense as he talked non stop before a game.

then just discussion on some of his career- 97' 92' etc...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Jamie Shanahan played some great games for us and he was a great stopper but I will alway remember him for the 97 GF when he stopped running towards the boundary when he thought the ball was going to go out and it bounced back in. It might have been bad luck but it looked bad.

Also, Stan did not have the guts to put Nathan Bourke on Jarman and never had a plan B when Blight made his so obvious move of isolating keg head and throwing McLeod on the ball. It was extremely bad coaching.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Jamie Shanahan played some great games for us and he was a great stopper but I will alway remember him for the 97 GF when he stopped running towards the boundary when he thought the ball was going to go out and it bounced back in. It might have been bad luck but it looked bad.

Also, Stan did not have the guts to put Nathan Bourke on Jarman and never had a plan B when Blight made his so obvious move of isolating keg head and throwing McLeod on the ball. It was extremely bad coaching.
It was bad coaching, considering Jarman had done the exact same thing the week before

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Jamie Shanahan played some great games for us and he was a great stopper but I will alway remember him for the 97 GF when he stopped running towards the boundary when he thought the ball was going to go out and it bounced back in. It might have been bad luck but it looked bad.

It was bad coaching, considering Jarman had done the exact same thing the week before
Indeed Mullet. I remember being really pissed at the time because Stan had coached really really well to get us there at the time.

In Stan's defence, both Spider and Vidovic were out and we did not control the stoppages but still he should have seen it coming and he should have tried something before it was too late. I heard that the late and great Yabby sent Stan several messages to make a move but he didn't.

In 09, Bomber put Jimmy Bartell on Hayes. That was a match winning move and the Cats deserved to win just on that ballsy move alone.

lloyd21
Club Player

8-)
SaintPav wrote:
mullet wrote:

Indeed Mullet. I remember being really pissed at the time because Stan had coached really really well to get us there at the time.

In Stan's defense, both Spider and Vidovic were out and we did not control the stoppages but still he should have seen it coming and he should have tried something before it was too late. I heard that the late and great Yabby sent Stan several messages to make a move but he didn't.

In 09, Bomber put Jimmy Bartell on Hayes. That was a match winning move and the Cats deserved to win just on that ballsy move alone.
Would not have meant a thing if Stkilda had kicked goals in 2nd Quarter several shots did not even score let alone the points
8-)

maverick
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
mullet wrote:

In Stan's defence, both Spider and Vidovic were out and we did not control the stoppages but still he should have seen it coming and he should have tried something before it was too late. I heard that the late and great Yabby sent Stan several messages to make a move but he didn't.

No defence for Stan, simply cost us the GF….
his use of Winmar and Buckets was ordinary as well….
Max should have gone to Jarman….

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
Yep

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:[

Nicky was a ghost. His old man died the evening before the game. And Stewie's sister topped herself during the week before the game. Those things and the loss of Everitt and Vidovic......Even so, we were still in front at 3/4 time. Will never forget the walk down Brunton Ave after that game...funeral procession.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:

Nicky was a ghost. His old man died the evening before the game. And Stewie's sister topped herself during the week before the game. Those things and the loss of Everitt and Vidovic......Even so, we were still in front at 3/4 time. Will never forget the walk down Brunton Ave after that game...funeral procession.
I know, but he could have given nicky a defensive job and moved Stewie into the ruck for something…yes personal issues outweigh footy, but if they play give me something to play for….

Agree on the lonely walk from the ground…the drive home nearly killed me…2009 wasn't much better….

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yes, Shanahan should never be scapegoated for the '97 GF loss. Jarman was unstoppable. Plus, a massive coaching meltdown in not trying to stop the bleeding. Someone once had a theory that Harves would have matched Jarman which was an interesting hypothetic. Also, Shane Ellen kicked 5 goals. That sure as hell made our defense look silly. Apparently Allan Jeans wanted to knock down the door of the coaching box and tell them to DO SOMETHING. It's just maddening to reflect on that day.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
suss
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
mullet wrote:

And Bartel proceeded to bear hug Hayes for the remaining three quarters. If it was any other game the umpires would've blown their whistles. A holes.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

This thread is really getting me depressed.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

st.byron wrote:

Topped herself? I thought it was just an attempt?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Shane Ellen kicking 5 of his 7 career goals and them kick 14 goals 1 after half time tells me it wasn't meant to be. :cry:

Hey guys you can't change history only the future .....about time everyone moves forward .

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Yeah, no Spider nor Lazar.

Also Rod Keogh did a hammy in our 100+ point defeat of the Swines in Swineland... bigger loss than many realised... I don't think he played again either...?

Cuz and Stewie 'out of it' due to family grief.

Harves had a rib broken in the opening bit of play... still got the most possies of anyone on the field... yet was criticised for not being as dominant with them... harsh. :(

They just didn't miss... especially Darren bloody Jarman... in that final quarter he just had to drop the ball on his boot... they went through from anywhere... :cry:

That Prelim Final win over Nuff Nuff was as good as I've seen a Saintas side play... ok maybe just behind that first half of 2009. (I'm seeing a pattern here, and I don't like it. :( ) Then the Crones knocked off the Poodles, whom I rated as the greater threat.

Despite the injuries things were falling into place... then disaster... Modra was injured and missed the GF. :( Modra's form was crap, and Shanas' always had his measure anyway... but he was 'Tony Modra' and not even Tossbag would have been game to drop him.

Modra in and we'd have won easily. Modra out, they changed it all up, caught us on the hop... and the rest is history. :( :cry:

But what really gets me is not losing that one. I was philosophical. We had a young team and they would get better. We were going to play in multiple GFs. We should have!

Instead..., about half way through 2008... we disintegrated. :shock:

That is what really upset me about the 1997 GF. :x

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Winmar
Club Player

Bad memories! I'd like to hear the interview though.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:

Could be. My source was a mate at work who knew Stewie's broader family.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
I know, but he could have given nicky a defensive job and moved Stewie into the ruck for something…yes personal issues outweigh footy, but if they play give me something to play for….

Agree on the lonely walk from the ground…the drive home nearly killed me…2009 wasn't much better….

Couldn't go to the 2009 GF. Can imagine it was the same feeling. Worse perhaps after such a dominant season. Roll on 2016 or whenever our next shot is.

martymcfly_86
Club Player

Interesting point - was 1997 or 2009 more depressing?!

"Whoa Doc, this is heavy." - Marty McFly following Ross Lyon's departure
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Winmar wrote:Bad memories! I'd like to hear the interview though.
Evening program is particularly bad at uploading interviews

Jamie said the loss of Lazar was especially harmful in 97'

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:

Could be. My source was a mate at work who knew Stewie's broader family.

Someone better tell her. I think she had issues before the game, some bad issues, but pretty sure she is alive and well.