coach selection panels a joke - Harves for me

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Club Player

coach selection panels a joke - Harves for me

The fashion of forming coach selection panels, forming criterion based check lists and then selecting the one who ticks the most boxes must now be discredited. How many recent appointments/sackings, and we have had our share, have failed to identify the one essential in a coach- you must be able to get the players wanting to play for you! KPI's, game plan and al that crap are meaningless unless the team sees itself as a team. Whose job is this, To sell a vision of success to the players?- the coach. If a coach is unable to do this then he becomes just someone who takes training. How do you find the right coach? It is likely that there is no one right way and sometimes you have to take a punt.
Some on here fear Harves is too quiet, his public demeanour not demonstrative enough to be an AFL coach. Since when are these characteristics enough to disqualify you from the job. Being comfortable in front of a camera is something you can adjust to. The skills of Leading, guiding and developing fellow human beings are more intangible and therefore more difficult to be sure of. One thing I do know- with Harves you will have them listening from day one!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: coach selection panels a joke - Harves for me

6621104 wrote:The fashion of forming coach selection panels, forming criterion based check lists and then selecting the one who ticks the most boxes must now be discredited. How many recent appointments/sackings, and we have had our share, have failed to identify the one essential in a coach- you must be able to get the players wanting to play for you! KPI's, game plan and al that crap are meaningless unless the team sees itself as a team. Whose job is this, To sell a vision of success to the players?- the coach. If a coach is unable to do this then he becomes just someone who takes training. How do you find the right coach? It is likely that there is no one right way and sometimes you have to take a punt.
Some on here fear Harves is too quiet, his public demeanour not demonstrative enough to be an AFL coach. Since when are these characteristics enough to disqualify you from the job. Being comfortable in front of a camera is something you can adjust to. The skills of Leading, guiding and developing fellow human beings are more intangible and therefore more difficult to be sure of. One thing I do know- with Harves you will have them listening from day one!

Not if he cant coach. harvs name will last a minte if he hasnt got coaching ability. Im not saying dont pick him but forget the name. it means nothing.

1965 Saint
Club Player

Grant Thomas had what you are talking about in spades

santazzi
Club Player

I will welcome Harvey when two conditions are met

1. All those who played with him have either retired or joined other clubs and

2. He is the best available candidate

citywest

What the Saints need to do is hire a sacrificial lamb as the coach for the next 2 years. The reason for this is that we will be s*** for another 2 years so we need someone who does not want to coach long term. All he has to do is just play the kids and get most of the list up 50 games experience as soon as possible. Even if we only win 5 games in the next 2 seasons it doesn't matter. At least then Pelican and Baines can weave their magic at the trading and draft table with high picks in the bag. At the end of the 2015 season then we go and get the best possible coach to take us up the ladder and into the finals.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:What the Saints need to do is hire a sacrificial lamb as the coach for the next 2 years. The reason for this is that we will be s*** for another 2 years so we need someone who does not want to coach long term. All he has to do is just play the kids and get most of the list up 50 games experience as soon as possible. Even if we only win 5 games in the next 2 seasons it doesn't matter. At least then Pelican and Baines can weave their magic at the trading and draft table with high picks in the bag. At the end of the 2015 season then we go and get the best possible coach to take us up the ladder and into the finals.

I agree. lets just give up.

citywest

Why do you think this is giving up? It is a strategic retreat. I'm not saying we shouldn't try to win. What I am saying is we are going to be s*** for another 2 years so why kill off a good coach. Wait another 2 years until we start climbing the ladder and then bring in the best coach for the job.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Why do you think this is giving up? It is a strategic retreat. I'm not saying we shouldn't try to win. What I am saying is we are going to be s*** for another 2 years so why kill off a good coach. Wait another 2 years until we start climbing the ladder and then bring in the best coach for the job.

Is that what the WB are doing?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:Why do you think this is giving up? It is a strategic retreat. I'm not saying we shouldn't try to win. What I am saying is we are going to be s*** for another 2 years so why kill off a good coach. Wait another 2 years until we start climbing the ladder and then bring in the best coach for the job.

I hope we don't copy that rabble, they haven't won a flag since 1954, hardly role models

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I hope we don't copy that rabble, they haven't won a flag since 1954, hardly role models

So you would just do what Citywest suggests? seems like loser mentality to me.

karnaby
Club Player

Please don't feed the troll.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'd text the players and ask them what they want

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:

I'd text the players and ask them what they want

Ok. I have a few numbers if you havent got them all.

Club Player

If we accept, as s/o with more smarts than a/o on here once said, that trying to solve your problems with the same way of thinking that created the problems is pretty stupid, and that if the so called expert coach selection panels have a success rate no more than 50% of the time which is what recent history suggests (us, Melb, Essendon, Doggies etc) which means they might have just as well tossed a coin, then we would be stupid to go through it again.
Plenty of people at the club will know whether Harves has the capacity to take the players with him. If he has, then he is the man for the job! Then you build a coaching staff around him.

citywest

Firstly I am not a troll.
Secondly, whomever they hire as coach the first 2 years should be about just playing the kids. Get them to 50 games as soon as possible. Even if we don't win any games the coach should not be held accountable.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Gee it took the d**khead shytywest a whole day to come on board, must be the only time his mummy allows him on the computer

I love this club
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Firstly I am not a troll.
Secondly, whomever they hire as coach the first 2 years should be about just playing the kids. Get them to 50 games as soon as possible. Even if we don't win any games the coach should not be held accountable.
I kind of agree with you ... A carreer coach might not want to go the hard yards of the rebuild and may try to "save" his job by topping up rather than rebuilding ( topping up will maybe put us around the 11th place mark for a fair period) we need a rebuild and as citywest says its about getting games into the kids (this will see us botom 4)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Firstly I am not a troll.
Troll

I love this club
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

6621104 wrote:The fashion of forming coach selection panels, forming criterion based check lists and then selecting the one who ticks the most boxes must now be discredited. How many recent appointments/sackings, and we have had our share, have failed to identify the one essential in a coach- you must be able to get the players wanting to play for you! KPI's, game plan and al that crap are meaningless unless the team sees itself as a team. Whose job is this, To sell a vision of success to the players?- the coach. If a coach is unable to do this then he becomes just someone who takes training. How do you find the right coach? It is likely that there is no one right way and sometimes you have to take a punt.
Just because he's a favorite son and legend of the club that's not a one way ticket to the job... he did walk out on us when he missed... i would love to see him come back as an assistant... prove himself and then earn the job.

I don't believe in fairy tails... just ask Brisbane about it.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
agree, we need to play some kids with mature players... having 1-2 years like GWS is not going to help us at all.. we don't have the AFL paying us all that support money.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

citywest wrote:What the Saints need to do is hire a sacrificial lamb as the coach for the next 2 years. The reason for this is that we will be s*** for another 2 years so we need someone who does not want to coach long term. All he has to do is just play the kids and get most of the list up 50 games experience as soon as possible. Even if we only win 5 games in the next 2 seasons it doesn't matter. At least then Pelican and Baines can weave their magic at the trading and draft table with high picks in the bag. At the end of the 2015 season then we go and get the best possible coach to take us up the ladder and into the finals.
we just did that.. think it worked well? we have traded bloody well, picked up a 3 in the draft. now is the time to build.. the years fixture is quite friendly to us.. if we get 5 or less wins in 2014 is a big fail.

If we do what you want to do, we will look like a bigger rabble then Melbourne.. i like the fact we are not a rabble and don't want to drop to their level. we need a good long term coach.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I like harves and think he is a genuine contender.
But i cant help finding it hilarious when people mention GT

Club Player

Some simple facts: harves has made his coaching intentions clear, he has worked his butt off outside the club, he is now a senior assistant coach and joins the list of all the others already mentioned in roles similar to senior assistant. This includes Williams. For those with short memories Williams came to Port from a similar background, with strong ties to Port (Magpies) and a young skilled group of players topped up with astute recruits from other clubs.. Whilst they were lucky to beat us in that prelim they deserved the premiership. It will already be known whether the power brokers in the inner sanctum of the club think harves has that magic ingredient- the ability to get each player to forget the self and to play as a unit. No need for a panel to find out.