The Malthouse legacy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

supersaints
Club Player

The Malthouse legacy

I remember mighty Mick stating on a footy show that he had advised Watters and Neeld to take over every possible aspect of their clubs and maintain tight control of everything.
At the time I was a bit shocked and wondered how anyone with any decent, personell and management skills could hang on to such an outdated and draconian model?
He went on to glowingly praise both his assistance in their roles at Collywobbles and said he knew they would both make excellent senior coaches.

After watching Neelds video (when he invited the media into a team meeting) it became obvious that he knew nothing, his speech to the players was so embarrassing it was obvious he inadvertently stamped his papers to be removed.

While I wondered about Watters on the outside, he portrayed a good persona and seemed extremely likeable

His two "products", probably only got their gigs, due to Malthouse's glowing recommendations and a very lucky bounce denying Milne a goal, and us a premiership

On the face of recent events it seems Watters took Mick literally and he set out to become general of the club, he fell on his sword , I will be honest and say that from my prospective Watters seemed to be the sort of coach to grow a young list. Statements from Dermie also convinced me there was something good going forward.
Seems I could not be more wrong.
At least we are moving forward before a complete disaster !

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Malthouse legacy

It is the No 1 mistake in football to hire the assistants of successful people in the AFL thinking you will get a clone.

We made a HUGE mistake in hiring the Cat's assistant recruiter thinking he would be as good, and he was a disaster.

Hinkley was said for years to be a coach in waiting, and has proven to be that...but instead we fawned over a Malthouse Assistant.

Ler's hope that our next coach is hired for what he is, rather than for whom he has assisted.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:It is the No 1 mistake in football to hire the assistants of successful people in the AFL thinking you will get a clone.

We made a HUGE mistake in hiring the Cat's assistant recruiter thinking he would be as good, and he was a disaster.

Hinkley was said for years to be a coach in waiting, and has proven to be that...but instead we fawned over a Malthouse Assistant.

Ler's hope that our next coach is hired for what he is, rather than for whom he has assisted.
Good points in that post sRs

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
falka
Club Player

We were sucked in by Watters Wank

Gee I'm glad he is gone, was the sultan of bulls***, bullshitted his way into the job

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

All the more reason why Malthouse will fail at Carlton

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Malthouse had Collingwood on HGH and a bumper crop of recruits. Another example of players making the coach.