SW should never have been our coach.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

SW should never have been our coach.....

To our Departing CEO

You may have done some good things at the saints but you will be forever remembered as the person responsible for letting Ross Lyon walk out on St KIlda

As a result the club has staggered from crisis to crisis to finally where we are today.

Any coach worth their salt should have baulked at the St Kilda coaching job given what played out with RL.

If you had actually done more than a half arse job at keeplng RL then SW name would never have been etched in St Kilda history.

We can only hope that your successor brings to St Kilda something that has been missing for some time: Integrity and Wisdom

Bugger off and never come back

Burkey 1
Club Player

Re: SW should never have been our coach.....

I'm thinking Scott Watters knew what he was doing when he initiated the radio interview without the clubs approval, after Laidley's departure he knew his time was up & wanted to initiate his sacking as he couldn't walk due to his contract having a year to run, another conspiracy theory...maybe but just my take on it.

Also where does this place the recruitment of Darren Jolly as a delisted free agent ??? I know people on here don't like the thought of him joining but he can have a big upside in teaching our young fellas how to ruck untill they develop a bit more.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

One eyed saint, I agree to disagree mate. Nettlefold wasn't alone in the decision to procrastinate on Lyon's contract or the decision to appoint SW as senior coach. We saw how the list was allowed to get to the stage it was at in 2011, and RL's recruiting strategy has been roundly blamed for that (legitimately in my humble opinion) Lets get one thing straight, Lyon would have faced a challenge in 2012 and 13 if he'd stuck around.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Seriously, why can't the senior coach do a radio interview?

Also,

Nettlefold was a mess when Lyon left.... They went into crisis talks... It was not the result they were after....

And I think Lyon would have made a better fist of the challenge, than SW did

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Seriously, why can't the senior coach do a radio interview?

Also,

Nettlefold was a mess when Lyon left.... They went into crisis talks... It was not the result they were after....

And I think Lyon would have made a better fist of the challenge, than SW did
I too worry...... as we chew through our next few coaches.... we will look back at the handling if the Lyon contract with mixed feelings....

“Yeah….nah””
One Eyed Saint
Club Player

TJS

My sauce tells me he was the reason RL left.

We need our club to not "jump" at shadows and hold their nerve in difficult times.

It's easy to lead in good time. True leaders come to the fore when the chips are down.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Current regime have to take responsibility for all the stuff ups because the are STUFF UPS.

Netters said Watters interview testing etc was off the charts...Maybe he just told them what they wanted to hear while Hinkley and Richardson were more honest about the list. Who knows.

All I remember is that the club went through a long process.

Process sometimes means sweet fa.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

One Eyed Saint wrote:To our Departing CEO

You may have done some good things at the saints but you will be forever remembered as the person responsible for letting Ross Lyon walk out on St KIlda

As a result the club has staggered from crisis to crisis to finally where we are today.

Any coach worth their salt should have baulked at the St Kilda coaching job given what played out with RL.

If you had actually done more than a half arse job at keeplng RL then SW name would never have been etched in St Kilda history.

We can only hope that your successor brings to St Kilda something that has been missing for some time: Integrity and Wisdom

I don't know about the bugger off comment - but your are correct regarding the LYON and WATTERS statements. It was NETTLEFOLD who allowed Ross to become such of an enigma at the club and not support him with player development and recruitment. It was he who thought WATTERS was a wonderful replacement because he could sell his bullshyte to the media. So Mr Nettlefold will leave the club with some ordinary personnel decisions on his resume !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
St Lenny
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:

I don't know about the bugger off comment - but your are correct regarding the LYON and WATTERS statements. It was NETTLEFOLD who allowed Ross to become such of an enigma at the club and not support him with player development and recruitment. It was he who thought WATTERS was a wonderful replacement because he could sell his bullshyte to the media. So Mr Nettlefold will leave the club with some ordinary personnel decisions on his resume !
Really, pretty sure Nettlefold is not responsible for Football Club issues. Do you have any idea how a club is run.

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

Yes - and I am absolutely sure

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

Nettlefold will have a long legacy at St Kilda for all the wrong reasons

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Burkey 1 wrote:I'm thinking Scott Watters knew what he was doing when he initiated the radio interview without the clubs approval, after Laidley's departure he knew his time was up & wanted to initiate his sacking as he couldn't walk due to his contract having a year to run, another conspiracy theory...maybe but just my take on it.

Also where does this place the recruitment of Darren Jolly as a delisted free agent ??? I know people on here don't like the thought of him joining but he can have a big upside in teaching our young fellas how to ruck untill they develop a bit more.
I was thinking this too... It seems too ridiculous that Watters already on thin ice would go against the clubs wishes and do the interview.

Maybe he could see the writing on the wall, and wanted to move on. Next year he could earn an assistant wage on top of the last years payout with us, with a lot less heartache of waiting till round 12.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

No one will know how ross Lyon would have handled the rebuild because he has walked when it was time to do it. He looks genius but i would say he has timed the take over of lists beautifully.

Scott Watters was either a two faced person or very good media manipulator. I think we probably were suffering from the old guys looking for a scape goat for their diminishing chances at finals as they retire and that put him in the firing line.

Footy is all about timing, the guy who initiates a rebuild hardly ever gets the fruits of his labor. Guys like Ross are etched in history books like heroic knights and guys like Primus or Knight are painted as bumbling incompetents who were unable to get the most out of a bunch of raw kids.

I feel sorry for Scott but could see it all coming. His biggest mistake was probably over optimism with how quick he could bring kids in to get them performing. Who knows what he would have got if we had found a FB last season and didn't have a glut of injuries. we finish just outside the 8 and the old boys are happy, the new kids see a future and everyone is happy.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Like most things its a lottery !

look at port this year , hinkley comes to the club and they go alright .
everyone in the media starts banging on about how great hinkley is with the young players !
Gee ,how come he'd been overlook so many times before .....etc .....etc ..... !

So what happens next year , If he loses two or three key players early in the season and suddenly the team's progress goes backwards .
does everyone start questioning the decision to hire him ?

In red white and black from 73
gringo
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:Like most things its a lottery !

look at port this year , hinkley comes to the club and they go alright .
everyone in the media starts banging on about how great hinkley is with the young players !
Gee ,how come he'd been overlook so many times before .....etc .....etc ..... !

So what happens next year , If he loses two or three key players early in the season and suddenly the team's progress goes backwards .
does everyone start questioning the decision to hire him ?

Yep pretty much how it works, clubs keep turning over the duds then the team matures and gels and then the guy who walked in is a hero. The players respect their ability as they have proof of the leap they made since the arrival and so the wheel turns.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

At least all of Netters, Westaway and Watters are all history.

We probably said the same when RB and GT both left.

Bring on the next lot and crisis in 2019.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
jaxons
Club Player

Hard to disagree with this post.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:

Hard to disagree with this post.

i'm going to stick up for them. I think they had concerns over the list management under Lyon and were completely blindsided by Freo playing in an "ungentlemanly" manner.

I'm not against us doing the same now the goal posts have shifted. I would be looking at getting Clarkson or someone like Longmire when we are ready to challenge next.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Although it now appears Watters dismissal was quite justified, I do feel for him and wish him luck in the future. However, I'm happy to say good riddance to the bumbling Nettlefold. Thank god he's gone.

kalsaint
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:One eyed saint, I agree to disagree mate. Nettlefold wasn't alone in the decision to procrastinate on Lyon's contract or the decision to appoint SW as senior coach. We saw how the list was allowed to get to the stage it was at in 2011, and RL's recruiting strategy has been roundly blamed for that (legitimately in my humble opinion) Lets get one thing straight, Lyon would have faced a challenge in 2012 and 13 if he'd stuck around.
Scott is not to blame for the 2012 list handed to him. He is acutely aware of this and the reasons for this.

Ross, however good and disciplined he was, struggled to form a balanced team that met future performance needs. This was due to the pursuit of the premiership cup while our window was still open. The rebuild was always on afterwards.

The club again seems to have lost the Ross battle based on his desire for monetary gains. I am not sure that a 4 year contract would have kept Ross at St. Kilda. While his team development is formidable he doesn't seem to have the patience for player development.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency