Watters contract extension discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Watters contract extension discussion

I know there have been other threads on this but I wondered what everyone thought.

Personally I would not extend at this current time, but everything going well, at the end of pre-season, or early next year I would then.
It's about team development, club harmony and overall growth, not necessarily wins and losses next year.
Given the state of our list and where we are in development, Watters must be given short term KPI's that he needs to hit and be extended early in the year. For a young coach to be judged on next season when others are controlling the agenda in list development is unfair.

Agree is doesn't need to happen now, but it should early next year IMO.

Whatever happens, I get the feeling we are starting to take control of our own agenda and not let the media run our club anymore.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters contract extension discussion

Just heard KB crapping on about this on SEN.

Clearly showing his bias as President of the Dwarfish Sacked Coaches Association (or D.S.C.A. if you prefer).

However stuff the Media.

We will decide who coaches this club and the circumstances in which they coach!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Question in general
If you are still working, not retired or a student.

How often are you reviewed?
If on contract - when do you find out about extension?
Or do you need to re-apply how far out

If you work for yourself - the accountant/ tax man is your reviewer

When reviewed - are you on warning style system, this needs to improve, these benchmarks need to be met etc, time to fix

With the Saints , positiin on the ladder would only be one criteria given our current standing list wise, management of other coaches and players would be a big part I assume.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

As long as a decision is made by say July next year all is good.

No rush required.

If we decide mid next season not to renew cuddles contract he will easily walk into another job and it gives us time to source a replacement coach.

If by delaying a decision until then means cuddles wants to walk then so be it.

Fairly simple.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saint-stu
Club Player

I would hope Watters' performance is measured more around development of the young players rather than win/loss ratio.

We all know we're going to be awful next year, but we want to know the development of the players is going in the right direction.

From the outside, I like him and hope he stays for the rebuild.

1ac46a38
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Just heard KB crapping on about this on SEN.

Clearly showing his bias as President of the Dwarfish Sacked Coaches Association (or D.S.C.A. if you prefer).

However stuff the Media.

We will decide who coaches this club and the circumstances in which they coach!
Doc cant agree more.

I dont know what the club has said to watters and either does the media.

What if they have said, Hey Scott, atm we are lookingfor a new CEO, we are settling in a new pres, and have just conducted a review of the club. So right now, we dont want to be looking at extentions to coaching contracts, however in a couple of months we might be wiling to sit down, depending on how we have stabilized our admin dept.

Nah that wouldnt sell papers.

Point being, why does this make news. We had the montagna lie on the weekend which conveniently just went away.
I am just over the whole media "stkilda is a rabble" bull. How is Brisbane going BTW

Andreous
Club Player

I fully agree with the last post, however, in business, if you wait too long the opportunity is gone. I don't think he has done much wrong. There are a whole lot of young guys developing well. When it comes to developing young talent I think we are in a better shape than we have been for the last 10 years.

Maybe Paul Roos might give Scotty a call about being the next Melbourne successor, at least he will know he has a future!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

difficult question.......with pelchan trading out the older players for the long term good , too much shouldn't be expected next year.....of the players ..or coach...

..to me scott is like a marathon runner being asked to win a sprint race then made to wear a weight belt while doing it.......

...on the other hand, there were a number of shocking coaching decisions made last year, including player selection...which must be laid squarely at the coaches feet......also those fad outs were a real problem.......maybe we can blame the fitness guy for that......who b y the way is now on a much fatter salary at the filth.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
starsign
Club Player

stinger wrote:difficult question.......with pelchan trading out the older players for the long term good , too much shouldn't be expected next year.....of the players ..or coach...

..to me scott is like a marathon runner being asked to win a sprint race then made to wear a weight belt while doing it.......

...on the other hand, there were a number of shocking coaching decisions made last year, including player selection...which must be laid squarely at the coaches feet......also those fad outs were a real problem.......maybe we can blame the fitness guy for that......who b y the way is now on a much fatter salary at the filth.....
Be interesting to see if he can bag a hat-trick of fade out pins to put in his cap over there !

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if this is more bout the club forcing Watters into really making some hard decisions in who he has round him ??

Extend now the pressures off to a degree
No extend and its all about howhe takes the group forward - harmoniously ... IF there is someone close to you who you have been defending upsetting that..... it puts that decision firmly back in his court...

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I wonder if this is more bout the club forcing Watters into really making some hard decisions in who he has round him ??

Extend now the pressures off to a degree
No extend and its all about howhe takes the group forward - harmoniously ... IF there is someone close to you who you have been defending upsetting that..... it puts that decision firmly back in his court...
he picked his assistants ..so there may be a bit of truth in what you say.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Totally agree, he needs to get everyone in the footy department working together and develop the footy side of things on and off the field, show the club his plan and how he can execute it.

Have confidence in his ability and the contract will come, no need right now to give a contract.
Matthew Knights anyone?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Like I said in another thread. The coach's contract discussion is still some way down the track. Lets look at this in some sort of order;

1. Top to Bottom review of the football department. This was completed less than a week ago

2. Put a set of processes and guidelines (a plan) in place that will give us the best possible chance that we know of to succeed. I suspect that this is happening right now

3. Give ALL stakeholders every opportunity to "Buy In" to this plan. This would include the coach and I suspect that this part of the process will not be finished much before Christmas

4. Review the findings of the points above and make decisions/adjustments going forward. My thinking is that this will occur some time late January

To make a decision on the coach RIGHT NOW would mean that the review of the football department would have been a massive waste of time.

In simple terms, what the club is doing is;

1)Formulate a plan 2) Set the processes 3) Follow the plan/processes. At this time I suspect we are at start of Step 2. There is plenty of time for Scott & The Club no matter what we hear & read in the media !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Megamaguire
Club Player

Patience and nerve will pay off if applied for long enough.
the club has to be all about developing young players for the future.
SW should feel some security in playing them and not coping blame when they don't get the 4 pts. as a team. The club need to be sensitive to the predicament Scott is in. Putting too much pressure on him is unrealistic and probably counter-productive. Short of two kpp in defence the leaving of BJ and the rapid aging of former champions coupled with a task to develope the kids is a big ask in itself. The club needs to think through what Scott can do while coaching through a rebuild.

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
lefty
Club Player

What the hell don't people like about Watters?

He's playing the kids like you all wanted, and of course were going to drop down the ladder, its not rocket science, and now because of finishing down the bottom, performance is an issue?

Re-new his contract already. Watters is a good coach imo, and is the only one that keeps calm in the coaches box. He's playing the kids, give him a chance ffs.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Megamaguire wrote:Patience and nerve will pay off if applied for long enough.
SW should feel some security in playing them and not coping blame when they don't get the 4 pts. as a team. The club need to be sensitive to the predicament Scott is in. Putting too much pressure on him is unrealistic and probably counter-productive. Short of two kpp in defence the leaving of BJ and the rapid aging of former champions coupled with a task to develope the kids is a big ask in itself. The club needs to think through what Scott can do while coaching through a rebuild.

GO SAINTS!
from listening to Chris Pelchen speak - the club is realistic to nex year- I don't feel it's the winning ames or not- there are off field issues maybe- management etc that would seem to be one concern-- His chance to prove he is capable...
he has a contract- not as the papers / headlines appear to intimate- he is NOT being sacked-
talk not tell may be suggestion..

Clarkson waited all last year before re - sigining at hawks.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Megamaguire wrote:Patience and nerve will pay off if applied for long enough.

GO SAINTS!
from listening to Chris Pelchen speak - the club is realistic to nex year- I don't feel it's the winning ames or not- there are off field issues maybe- management etc that would seem to be one concern-- His chance to prove he is capable...
he has a contract- not as the papers / headlines appear to intimate- he is NOT being sacked-

Clarkson waited all last year before re - sigining at hawks.

Have no idea why you are comparing the hawks to the saints in signing up the coach.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i dunno if Watters is a good coach yet ... what i do know he is the coach we need right now .. in my opinion Scotty is the guy who is going to pump the games into the kids hes the guy who is going to nurture the younger guys not berate them he might have some of the older guys not happy but thats life ... in my opinion if we were to go chase a Choco or an established coach at this stage then that coach will automatically go into self preservation mode we will see the hard rebuild replaced with a quick top up ... we might win a few more games that way we will get off botom four but end of the day unless your playing finals and unless your a threat in the finals there is not point in fluffing the win loss ratio ....

my feel is we will eventually sack Scotty (its in our DNA) then the next coach will come in and reap the rewards for Scottys rebuild ... history will show Scotty as a dud coach caue all that will be remembered will be the win loss ratio and the ladder position....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
happy feet
Club Player

I think it is difficult to tell what is really happening inside the Club unless you are there and a part of it. Speculation about people's contracts in public forums, in my view, is a bit off. Would you like it if it was you? I know they are in the public spotlight but I think we need to be fair here. What is our club motto?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i dunno if Watters is a good coach yet ... what i do know he is the coach we need right now .. in my opinion Scotty is the guy who is going to pump the games into the kids hes the guy who is going to nurture the younger guys not berate them he might have some of the older guys not happy but thats life ... in my opinion if we were to go chase a Choco or an established coach at this stage then that coach will automatically go into self preservation mode we will see the hard rebuild replaced with a quick top up ... we might win a few more games that way we will get off botom four but end of the day unless your playing finals and unless your a threat in the finals there is not point in fluffing the win loss ratio ....

my feel is we will eventually sack Scotty (its in our DNA) then the next coach will come in and reap the rewards for Scottys rebuild ... history will show Scotty as a dud coach caue all that will be remembered will be the win loss ratio and the ladder position....
I'm hopping that he is given at least a one year extension. If at the end of 2014 he is still proving to be a good development coach and ticks most of the boxes (except win/loss) then I think the club would be foolish not to give him an extension because it would contradict the list development strategy currently in place. I think in line with the new presidents commitment to improving communication I think it would be beneficial for the club to get on the front foot and communicate in some way what is expected of SW in 2014 so when the media start coming for SW they can roll out lines other than the normal, the board are blah, blah, blah.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Scott's manage was just on radio

Scott his manager met with board members last week,
all that rubbush in the media and the innuendo........
Scott upbeat about discussions, Scott fully understood that it was going to take a while to get list rebuilt.
he had not been promised an extension but certainly indications where that it may happen- but the
Board/ club has plenty on it's plate
new president
new CEO
trade and draft-

President indicated they should/would make connection again early next year................................

let's see what the collingwood supporter find to be negative about it.....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Scott's manage was just on radio

Scott upbeat about discussions, Scott fully understood that it was going to take a while to get list rebuilt.
he had not been promised an extension but certainly indications where that it may happen- but the
new president
new CEO
trade and draft-

President indicated they should/would make connection again early next year................................

let's see what the collingwood supporter find to be negative about it.....
Thanks Bratty...that sounds positive and that they are mostly happy with SW at this stage.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Scott's manage was just on radio

new president
new CEO
trade and draft-

Thanks Bratty...that sounds positive and that they are mostly happy with SW at this stage.
well atleast his manager was calm and considered... not into extreme language as some managers are..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SEN 1116‏@SENNews4
Scott Watters' manager is hopeful a contract extension can be negotiated once the Saints new CEO is appointed https://soundcloud.com/sen1116/afl-play ... olin-young
https://soundcloud.com/sen1116/afl-play ... olin-young

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
SEN 1116‏@SENNews4
Scott Watters' manager is hopeful a contract extension can be negotiated once the Saints new CEO is appointed https://soundcloud.com/sen1116/afl-play ... olin-young
https://soundcloud.com/sen1116/afl-play ... olin-young
So should we expect a 'story' on SEN tomorrow how
'Watters adds to Turmoil at Saints'

by 'demanding' the new CEO, whoever that is and whenever he is appointed' grant him a contract extension or he'll (Watters) publicly hold his breath until he turns blue in the face.

Seriously, the 'spinning' being done on SEN specifically and the media in general is completely out of control.

I heard John Spiv Ralph on with KB this morning and his first sentence nearly made me throw up.
Nick R wants out
Joey M wants out
Nicky Dal wants out.

The Riewoldt story was at best an approach to him by Collingwood.
The Motagna story was at best just EFC/FOX Sports Nws being mischievous
Neither player was being 'shopped around'

And these are being used as 'proof' that the initial BS nonsense story of 'The Saints Imploding was coorect'! :oops:

WTF?

And the 'piece da resistance'.
Jay Clark (Jaycee, the trade expert, as KB now calls him) declares that the Saints approached GWS and offered them Pick 3 plus any player off the Saints list for Pick 1 and were told no.
His reading of this is that the Saints list is so bad that there is not a single player at St Kilda that GWS wants!
Seriously, 'Jaycee the trade expert' said that on radio this morning.

This of course is the same 'Jaycee the trade expert' who got just about every report on 'Saints and the Schoolgirl' wrong.