What Is Dal Worth

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

What Is Dal Worth

Lets assume that Dal decides to move to North.

North don't have a high pick to trade.
North have used their first round draft pick number 9 on an all beef pattie father-son pick.
So their next pick won't be until at least 28 (with first round compensation for Buddy).
They may be able to trade in a better pick but lets assume not.

That leaves the option of Free Trade.
North certainly want to get Dal for free.
If Dal goes under free trade St Kilda would get compensation but what compensation.

We would all shout mid first round pick making it No 4 but that may not be the way the AFL sees it.
St Kilda would argue he was a first round pick 13, a successful first round pick when some fail.
A 3 time all Australian and a frequent Brownlow vote winner.

The AFL would say he is passed his prime with only a few years left.
They may also look at Hawthorn's situation where the best they can offer Hawthorn is a mid first round pick = 20 or a end of first round pick = 20 again.
That for a player to get 10 million over 7 years.
Dal Santo wont get a contract anything like that.
How can they give St Kilda a compensation pick ahead of Hawthorn.

Are we better off if Dal went to a trade or went as a free agent?
The AFL may well say end of first round pick = around 20 or mid second round pick around 24 (allowing Hawthorn a first round for Buddy).
An end of second round or mid third round is always possible.

Personally I like Dal so much I think he is worth a number one pick but Andrew Demetriou and I don't always see eye to eye.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: What Is Dal Worth

would also limit our ability to pick up a player under free agency

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:would also limit our ability to pick up a player under free agency

Pretty sure that isnt happening. We havent been linked to anyone. Ace has a point. I think that is what is holding up the deal. We have a big decision to way up and we wont know if it is the right decision until we make the decision unless we trade him under FA. Then its to late if its the wrong decision to do it that way.

Kickit
Club Player

Free trade is the way to go.
It largely would depend on the contract size.
Assuming he gets decent pay ( and I wouldn't want him to go if he didn't ) then we should get end of round one or the pick after our second round pick.
Both of these are more than we'd get for trade and North who want him cant offer better than that anyway.

noob
Club Player

If we are wanting to offload him that suggests he isn't a high draft pick.. considering he doesn't necessary want to leave himself.. You don't move on high valued players at your club.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

On cold hard numbers and under the AFL compensation formula hes worth 20-25 (because of his age)

Of course as he is a top bloke and a very good player - hes probably worth more than that to us (and also to North).

North seem a bit deluded. They still seem to think they can win a flag on the back of 'Boomer' Harvey who is about 40 and they also appear to drastically over rate their young talent.

They are a decent side (better than us atm no question) but they need Dal more than they think if they want to be top 4.

Otherwise they will linger around 8th again.

Dal would be in their top 6 players straight away.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:On cold hard numbers and under the AFL compensation formula hes worth 20-25 (because of his age)

Of course as he is a top bloke and a very good player - hes probably worth more than that to us (and also to North).

North seem a bit deluded. They still seem to think they can win a flag on the back of 'Boomer' Harvey who is about 40 and they also appear to drastically over rate their young talent.

They are a decent side (better than us atm no question) but they need Dal more than they think if they want to be top 4.

Otherwise they will linger around 8th again.

Dal would be in their top 6 players straight away.

I think you underate their talent. I doubt they can win a flag but with a lot of luck and Dal could sneak into the top 4-6. Dal would probably be in the top 6 players of many clubs.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I think you underate their talent. I doubt they can win a flag but with a lot of luck and Dal could sneak into the top 4-6. Dal would probably be in the top 6 players of many clubs.
They are pretty good and improving.
They did have some absolute shocking losses. If they can prevent those they are top 6.
Just saying Dal would help them out a fair bit. If they wait 2 years until their youngsters get good they lose Boomer, Petrie and Wells.
So they need to make a run at it now or never.
Its worth them rolling the short-term dice throwing a fair bit at Dal.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 08 Oct 2013 6:22pm, edited 3 times in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure Thomas, Betts & Silvia will also push norths 2nd round pick out further.

If there is a genuine formula that the AFL work from, then lets see it...

Is he band 2 or 3? 20-ish or 25-ish

Pick 30-something and a spud does not equal NDS

I think he wants to stay, unless its a ripping deal we should keep him.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

He's worth more to us than a shitty trade.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:He's worth more to us than a shitty trade.
agreed...i'm with the coach on this one....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Agree.

And if all we get is pick 25ish under FA we may as well keep in.

If we got a trade for pick 15 to 20 then go for it, but I cant see that happening.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
PJ
SS Life Member

It would seem he's worth more than North are offering - not that anyone knows what that is (apart from them).

Don't they actually have to make an offer?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:It would seem he's worth more than North are offering - not that anyone knows what that is (apart from them).

Don't they actually have to make an offer?

It will end up being their second round plus Delaney for Dal. Their second round will be about pick 29. Thats what I think will end up happening. Doesnt mean will should take it.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

On the radio today they were hinting that we are after a Band 1 compensation pick. That would give us pick 3 AND pick 4. I'm not sure, but that sounds like a pretty good deal if we could pull it off !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:On the radio today they were hinting that we are after a Band 1 compensation pick. That would give us pick 3 AND pick 4. I'm not sure, but that sounds like a pretty good deal if we could pull it off !!

What was that on? On SEN they suggested Band 2. we have no hope of getting band one for a 30 year old.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:On the radio today they were hinting that we are after a Band 1 compensation pick. That would give us pick 3 AND pick 4. I'm not sure, but that sounds like a pretty good deal if we could pull it off !!

What was that on? On SEN they suggested Band 2. we have no hope of getting band one for a 30 year old.
SEN (the bloke from Inside Football). I'm sure that Pelchen would have made enquiries !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Oh id be pulling it off if we pulled that off!

Not quite sure how we expect to get a pick for Dal that is 20 higher than the Hawks are getting for Buddy.
Dal at 30 wont get a higher pick than BJ got at 27.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
Me too. No point so let's keep him

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Oh id be pulling it off if we pulled that off!

Not quite sure how we expect to get a pick for Dal that is 20 higher than the Hawks are getting for Buddy.
Dal at 30 wont get a higher pick than BJ got at 27.

You are right Con because of the age but we would get pick 4 if Dal was 27 even though the Hawks got that pick for Buddy. Both would be band one and it then goes on where you finish on the ladder.

noddy
Club Player

If Dal walks to NM Saints morally should get pick 4. Dale Thomas will almost certainly end up being a band 1 compo and what he is being offered is comparable to what Dal would get.

It will never happen since the Hawks only get pick 19 for Franklin, but that is just the AFL's fault for setting up a system of picks based on ladder performance. If Hawthorn wanted a better pick they shouldn't have finished at the top of the ladder.

Image In Richo we trust.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We dont even know what the offer is do we?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

noddy wrote:If Dal walks to NM Saints morally should get pick 4. Dale Thomas will almost certainly end up being a band 1 compo and what he is being offered is comparable to what Dal would get.

It will never happen since the Hawks only get pick 19 for Franklin, but that is just the AFL's fault for setting up a system of picks based on ladder performance. If Hawthorn wanted a better pick they shouldn't have finished at the top of the ladder.

True. They shouldnt have won the GF or even made the finals. That would make supporters feel much better about losing Buddy. There actually should be no compo picks at all if you lose a player to FA in my opinion. You get an extra spot and SC relief and then you chase a FA.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: There actually should be no compo picks at all if you lose a player to FA in my opinion. You get an extra spot and SC relief and then you chase a FA.

NOT the dumbest statement I have read on here !!

Munga
Saintsational Legend

We're in the driver's seat with Dal. He can't walk as he's exercised a contract clause for another year. I think it's up to us to accept it or not.
A 25-30 pick aint gonna cut it. It might be difficult finding a top 15-20 pick trade, but I'd seriously consider TWO picks between 20-25 for Dal.

PS: I hate talking about our legends like cattle.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"