on a brighter note- Alternate- Lee ( article)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

on a brighter note- Alternate- Lee ( article)

In the previous month, Champion Data ranked Lee a clear No.1 in the AFL for retaining inside 50s directed at him, keeping the ball 81 per cent of the time. That he leads the Saints over the past five games for inside 50 targets (27) and marks inside 50 (14) would hearten Ameet Bains and his recruiting team, who saw in Lee an alternative target and eventual heir to Nick Riewoldt.

''The boys would be stupid not to look for Rooey, he gives us such a great contest, [but] if they're using me just as a much as him I'm obviously very flattered and honoured,'' Lee says.

Playing alongside an all-time great was unfathomable three years ago, when Lee was an Adelaide Crows reject in the Claremont seconds, kicking three or four goals perhaps once a month, never dominating like he now realises he should have been, carrying puppy fat and failing to run out games.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... z2bO7vnvta

keep working at it Tom.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: on a brighter note- Alternate- Lee ( article)

Thanks Brat. Nice article.

supersaints
Club Player

Seems to have his head screwed on, looks a very very likely future key forward. Did not realize his stats for retaining the ball in the forward line were number one in the league.
There is light at the end of the tunnel

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
avid
Club Player

My God -- he looks human in that photo!

Owen Wilson?

It's a great article, and he seems really level-headed and switched on.
I'm a fan.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I too hadn't realized his defensive pressure was so good.
I must admit I've warmed to the idea he may well make it from the form he's shown over the past few games.
I reckon he'll become a better version of Maister (and I don't discard Maister as a worthwhile contributor).

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

In other breaking news, it was revealed that paid professional club coaches and staff may have actually has a better idea of what they were doing than a bunch of anonymous keyboard heroes on fan forum. This is yet to be verified, but sources have indicated that the success of the St Kilda Football club list rebuild will be monitored very closely over the course of the next two seasons in order to confirm or deny the competence of the highly paid professionals.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I always saw his potential after the foxtel cup series last year and watching a tape of him at WAFL level with a mate who's dad was on Freo's board for a long time. He also told me how good Roberton was so has has some good judgement. Lee looked like his defensive game was a grade and also played a great variety of roles- he could play as a small forward with clean hands crumbing and snapping or as a lead up tall and even the odd hanger. He' was super evasive and ran ring around defenders. Lots to like in Lee. I can see him being Jack Riewoldt like with a bit of bulk on his frame.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I always saw his potential after the foxtel cup series last year and watching a tape of him at WAFL level with a mate who's dad was on Freo's board for a long time. He also told me how good Roberton was so has has some good judgement. Lee looked like his defensive game was a grade and also played a great variety of roles- he could play as a small forward with clean hands crumbing and snapping or as a lead up tall and even the odd hanger. He' was super evasive and ran ring around defenders. Lots to like in Lee. I can see him being Jack Riewoldt like with a bit of bulk on his frame.

Got to say i see him as nothing like a Jack Riewoldt. They weigh pretty much the same anyway. jack has no real defensive pressure and Lee is more of a lead up forward than Jack and works harder. Jack is a better pack mark and very smart.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:In other breaking news, it was revealed that paid professional club coaches and staff may have actually has a better idea of what they were doing than a bunch of anonymous keyboard heroes on fan forum. This is yet to be verified, but sources have indicated that the success of the St Kilda Football club list rebuild will be monitored very closely over the course of the next two seasons in order to confirm or deny the competence of the highly paid professionals.

“A bit disrespectful to your posters there TB”

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I always saw his potential after the foxtel cup series last year and watching a tape of him at WAFL level with a mate who's dad was on Freo's board for a long time. He also told me how good Roberton was so has has some good judgement. Lee looked like his defensive game was a grade and also played a great variety of roles- he could play as a small forward with clean hands crumbing and snapping or as a lead up tall and even the odd hanger. He' was super evasive and ran ring around defenders. Lots to like in Lee. I can see him being Jack Riewoldt like with a bit of bulk on his frame.

Got to say i see him as nothing like a Jack Riewoldt. They weigh pretty much the same anyway. jack has no real defensive pressure and Lee is more of a lead up forward than Jack and works harder. Jack is a better pack mark and very smart.

Lee can do the pack marking and if he builds up will lose the evasive and ground level ability somewhat. True Jack doesn't have that defensive side but Lee is a smart footy player. He will just softly nudge out from behind like Jack and be the guy over the back who pinches the mark. He has a few party tricks I guess is why I compare them and just am wondering how the bulking up will effect the way he plays. He will surprise a few in the future I reckon, could be anything from a thirty goal third tall to a coleman medalist- he has the talent. just depends on the drive to be the best he can be.

Richter
SS Life Member

The last 5 games Tommy's been very consistent, kicking never less than 2 goals, and never more than 3 goals in a game.

If this form were to go for 17 or 18 games this season then he would have kicked over 40 goals which would put him in the top 10 goal kickers in the league.

I can't help thinking that this consistency has to be part of having Nick Riewoldt as a mentor in the forward line. Nickj is both a role model and takes the opposition number 1 defender.

Hopefully next year Tommy can keep injury free, play 20+ games and have a few stellar games where he kicks bags of 5+. Then we'd know we have a potential A grader on our hands.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Yeah Tommy is coming along nicely. Love to see him tear new arseholes on the Dawks defenders tonite. Gibson could be in for a tough night on Roo or Tommy

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Should be a 50 goal forward next year

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Should be a 50 goal forward next year

Of course he should. There are so many of them. Luckily our players dont read some stuff on here. How much pressure would there be.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

interesting to see how he and beau would work together......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Pretty bloody pleased with his year. I think Id call it a win.

Had his knockers early but it seemed he was dealing with a shoulder early and then an achilles.

I get the feeling he is a guy who needs a bit of confidence and is building over time. Should only improve from here. Good get. Hes quite nimble and agile and turns well and seems to always try and do the team things as well. I really have no idea who I would compare him too at this stage. I remember one poster here from WA likened him to a 'tall Milney'. He is certainly not a typical tall fwd. So will be interesting to watch him develop. This may sound crazy but from the little I have seen of old games of Peter Hudson he reminds me of him. Not a hulk by any stretch but more of a wiry rubber man.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Coach Scott Watters also pointed him to the weights room, and Lee feels results are starting to show on both fronts.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... z2bRCpaYOe

I think many of us felt he had to hit the weights room harder and many commented he looked bigger when he came back. Some people go through the motions in the gym and just 'do the program' they are set without taking them seriously and some blokes really focus on it. The results on field are significant - just ask the Bombers or Port Power. Anyone who doubts what you can do in the gym knows nothing about sports.

p.s
I bloody hope the coach sends TDL and Milera in there and locks the friggin door for 6 months.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Coach Scott Watters also pointed him to the weights room, and Lee feels results are starting to show on both fronts.

I think many of us felt he had to hit the weights room harder and many commented he looked bigger when he came back. Some people go through the motions in the gym and just 'do the program' they are set without taking them seriously and some blokes really focus on it. The results on field are significant - just ask the Bombers or Port Power. Anyone who doubts what you can do in the gym knows nothing about sports.

p.s
I bloody hope the coach sends TDL and Milera in there and locks the friggin door for 6 months.

Their size doesnt matter at all. Its their attack on the ball that matters.

mordi
Club Player

I think a number of factors;

1 - new state and team - takes time to settle in

2 - fitness - just getting up to AFL standard takes time - not just one preseason

3- AFL game time - I dont think we can overlook the huge jump in class from WAFL / VFL level to AFL. He had a few runs early , but now he is settled, fitter and playing some regular AFL standard game time.

All points to him delivering in the future - certainly as a very solid palyer - and maybe as elite.

What's the Point of it All?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Coach Scott Watters also pointed him to the weights room, and Lee feels results are starting to show on both fronts.

p.s

ok Scrappy Doo. have you ever played the game?
Its not 'size' that matters - but strength does and working hard in the gym isnt about being bigger but it makes you a heck of a lot stronger if you work at it properly.

if you can get stronger without putting on weight all the better. Its strength to weight ratio. but when you constantly get brushed out out a contest or knocked off the ball when you are running for it or people break your tackles easily - you need to get stronger. And you get stronger in the gym.
just "attacking the ball" isnt enough. If that were the case why bother training at all? If some feather attacked the ball like a kamikaze it wouldnt matter because a professionally trained hardened afl player would just knock them over.

Anyway - lets just do away with gyms entirely then and train players to "attack the ball" - lets see how your team performs.

Richter
SS Life Member

Could be sp. Could also provide defensive structures with more headaches to allow Rooey to get off the leash a bit.

In Kosi's best year he kicked 48 goals (2009). If Tommy got anywhere near that level we'd be stoked.

Richter
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

p.s

I always thought that Tommy has attacked the ball well, even in the earlier part of the year, but he got knocked off it too easily. We are not seeing that now. He holds his own in the marking contests much better now. That is the part that is relevant regarding his strength.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I always thought that Tommy has attacked the ball well, even in the earlier part of the year, but he got knocked off it too easily. We are not seeing that now. He holds his own in the marking contests much better now. That is the part that is relevant regarding his strength.

I was talking about TDL and Milera.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: p.s
Some people would like that time to start at the end of March.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

IMHO he needs to take more marks !

In red white and black from 73