Comment on votes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Comment on votes

Since we are not allowed to make comment on votes in the votes, a few observations

Hayes... Given Votes... He spent a fair portion of the game getting belted by Selwood who was BOG... As usual he tried, but was flogged...

Jones.... Given votes... A hard tag on SJ who had 29 touches and smashed him.... He tried, was poor

Steven.... 55% efficiency is not good enough at AFL level, he worked hard offensively and won the footy, but his effectiveness was minimal or detrimental because he turned it over constantly, often on the run under little pressure? His defensive work is questionable, he never mans up, and a reason he is always free is he has a offensive mindset only. Ever wondered why opposition never sit on him?
That aside, he was tireless

Armitage.... Contested hard, never won enough footy.

Joey and Dal were OK but not damaging

Ray and Newnes seemed to battle hard, but also chunked it a bit

Seriously, I couldn't find a good player after QT and could not give votes for effort, expected as a professional footballer
Or for 1 quarter of footy... Not good enough.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Comment on votes

A lot of the players you mentioned were okay despite their direct opponents being good. The issue was too many passengers. Curren 2 touches, Siposs 6, McEvoy and Saunders 8 each, Gwilt, Stanley and Geary flogged down back. Roo and Lee limited opportunities in the forward line. Whilst they had their deficiencies Dal, Joey and Steven were our best by far IMO just had little support.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Again the Jack bashing comes out. He is only a fair player in you eyes. yes last night he didnt use the ball that well but he has had much better efficently this year than Joey but it seems when Joey uses it poorly you dont do posts knocking his efficency. lets face it this comes because you have never rated him as shown by you rating as a fair player this year and we all know you have never heard of the word wrrr so the obvious thing to do is find an excuse to knock him. nice of you to say he was tireless though.

Can you please PM everyone with your votes so we dont get our opinions wrong when we do our votes. Is your favourite KNOCKing on heavens door?

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Steven, Joey and Dall all battled hard but a lot of their possessions were just sweeping up around half-back.

These midfielders and Lenny were OK, but our ball use meant that we had spend 3/4 of the game defending in our back half.

spert
Saintsational Legend

If I was coach I would take Steven, Geary, Ray and Armo aside, and explain clearly the value of disposing the ball correctly to your teammates, and not giving the opposition a free ride by turning over the ball when not under pressure..it's a major problem amongst our other major problems.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes, they were overwhelmed I supposed due to weight of numbers... Because of the lack of support....

To be fair on Jack, if a few others ran as hard as him... Perhaps the players would have some more options to deliver the ball and increase their effectiveness..... Although, he does just spray the ball (like Gilbert) too much. Like Gilbert, he also doesn't seem to recognise his limitations and attempts high risk passes resulting in costly turnovers....

Love his tenacity and effort.... Frustrated by his decision making and execution....

Could not give him votes for that game..... His disposal was too poor...

It's never great, which is why I don't consider him great yet, but not normally shocking..... Like last night

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Its isnt hard. Wrrrrrooo. Wrong.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

P66

I don't see any of your replies?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:P66

Then dont keep mentioning my name.

sasaint
Club Player

Love to understand why Curren only got 2 touches. Was he told not to move out of forward 50? It's just not like his game to not be in the thick of it. Anyone got any ideas what went wrong? :?

Patience young grasshopper
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

So do the coaches not give votes in the B&F for yesterday's game?
Surely if they follow the lead of the OP then no votes will be cast.

Or do they cast votes for Saints B&F and allow the umpires to cast match votes for the Brownlow and media to cast match votes for their respective awards?

Once again a ridiculous proposition.

The Votes thread is for our opinion on the 'best' Saints players in the game.
AFAIK we are not casting votes on all players in the game, only the Saints ones.

Therefore they are only being judged, by us posters, on their own games wrt other Saints players.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Have a listen to BigMouth! How easy is it to visit an internet forum after a big loss and find mindless negatives which any child or fool could do just by reading posts on a fan forum or reading the Sunday papers. You are so awesome BigMouth.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

BigMart wrote:Yes, they were overwhelmed I supposed due to weight of numbers... Because of the lack of support....

To be fair on Jack, if a few others ran as hard as him... Perhaps the players would have some more options to deliver the ball and increase their effectiveness..... Although, he does just spray the ball (like Gilbert) too much. Like Gilbert, he also doesn't seem to recognise his limitations and attempts high risk passes resulting in costly turnovers....

Love his tenacity and effort.... Frustrated by his decision making and execution....

It's never great, which is why I don't consider him great yet, but not normally shocking..... Like last night
You, good sir, are full of sewage!

Steven's 36 disposals at 55% DE gives him 20 effective disposals - how many of his teammates topped him ?? Let me save you the maths - one of them !! Joey. Dal was equal with him. As was Jones.

Don't use rubbish arguments to protect you fragile ego. Dal, Joey and Jack were our best three last night.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
BigMart wrote:Yes, they were overwhelmed I supposed due to weight of numbers... Because of the lack of support....

You, good sir, are full of sewage!

Steven's 36 disposals at 55% DE gives him 20 effective disposals - how many of his teammates topped him ?? Let me save you the maths - one of them !! Joey. Dal was equal with him. As was Jones.

Don't use rubbish arguments to protect you fragile ego. Dal, Joey and Jack were our best three last night.
If he was an "actual" teacher you would report him to the education department I reckon...a complete whack job!

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Since we are not allowed to make comment on votes in the votes, a few observations.....
Of course posters should be allowed to make comments in the 'Votes' thread (some have) - not seen anything from Mods/Admin to the contrary.

Threads are started for anything and everything.

Only thing is you have to cast votes though, which you didn't.....

Stand your ground :shock:
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:P66
Then dont keep mentioning my name.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Give votes to who I want to, I look for effort in those kind of deplorable games, polish is not fair to expect of the few giving a stuff as they are shouldering a lot on their own

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Jack had the second most dream team points for any player on the ground. I can't see how he could have had 55% and still get those numbers. I was out at dinner and was saved from the carnage but he must have been horrible and got gifted DT points then.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Give it a rest Cairnsman

You're losing it, and why are you so obsessed with my occupation..... Your continual dribble about me personally is pathetic, why not debate the point....

Hey, why not slag off Tasmanians again? Although, do remember that I haven't lived there for 24 years.... Nick Roewoldt was living there when I left??

What else?

Btw
In the last 3 quarters of football we were out scored 112 to 11 not sure how anyone suggesting NO player is deserved of best player votes is not that absurd. It's possibly the worst 3 quarters I can remember??

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Give it a rest Cairnsman

You're losing it, and why are you so obsessed with my occupation..... Your continual dribble about me personally is pathetic, why not debate the point....

Hey, why not slag off Tasmanians again? Although, do remember that I haven't lived there for 24 years.... Nick Roewoldt was living there when I left??

What else?

Btw
In the last 3 quarters of football we were out scored 112 to 11 not sure how anyone suggesting NO player is deserved of best player votes is not that absurd. It's possibly the worst 3 quarters I can remember??
Well that answers one question I had. You clearly are very young and weren't around in the 80s.

Middo
Club Player

Surely your not Tasmanian BigMouth ... Spose that's one thing going for you !!! Please don't tell me you know all Rooey's uncles ..?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Depends on what young is? Compared to whom? Very young, again compared to who??

Yes I was a supporter in the 80s and its a period StK and its supporters should be embarrassed about, not proud of....

Middo, some cheapies.... Nice

Judging by the defensive/aggressive reactions from some, I think some people are struggling to accept deserved criticism ....

It's hard to defend the team ATM, so I suppose just going on the attack might help?... Whatever

I remember The famous coaching comment "Never accept what is happening" and I really do believe that! Even to this day, when I'm playing, working or supporting... If things are not working.... I refuse to accept it!

Only success interests me, not happy being mediocre......

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Give it a rest Cairnsman

What else?

Btw

So no votes given when we finished bottom. You are acting like a sook because we got smashed. Get used to it because it will happen more and more and we will still give votes as all clubs do.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Depends on what young is? Compared to whom? Very young, again compared to who??

Yes I was a supporter in the 80s and its a period StK and its supporters should be embarrassed about, not proud of....

Judging by the defensive/aggressive reactions from some, I think some people are struggling to accept deserved criticism ....

It's hard to defend the team ATM, so I suppose just going on the attack might help?... Whatever

I remember The famous coaching comment "Never accept what is happening" and I really do believe that! Even to this day, when I'm playing, working or supporting... If things are not working.... I refuse to accept it!

You sound like a legend of a bloke. I'd love to have a beer with you one day and pick your brain on how to be successful.

Middo
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Depends on what young is? Compared to whom? Very young, again compared to who??

Hard to defend so just stick the boots in then ..?
Not cheapies champ just good mates with his uncles and was wondering if you knew them as you know everything else ..!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!