Macca trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Macca trade

Right on the back of his brilliant game last week and yes he is captain material but as a hypothetical

would you trade him to GWS as has been suggested in the media for a shot at Boyd and allow Hickey & Stanley to develop in the ruck role?

not saying I would but it's an interesting proposition strategically. One that actually makes some sense out of all the rumours.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Macca trade

IMO that is really our only chance of getting Boyd - Macca and there may be some additional picks or players / picks thrown about

In my eyes - Boyd is EXACTLY what we need to build a team around ... he is super impressive and by 22 will be a star like Riewoldt was.

McEvoy is a very very very good player. A great leader. Exactly what GWS need now. You have to give something to get something.

Hickey and Stanley will do me as a ruck combo with Pierce coming through and we just need to pick up a 30+year old ruckman as back up for a few years.

p.s. PLEASE KEEP DAL

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I would keep McEvoy.... He is a fair player....

Trade Hickey.... For a set of steak knives... Or even a player we actually need??!!

Question
What if Boyd is not that great.... And Aish turns out a star?
What if Boyd dominates against other kids 15kg lighter and 3 inches shorter, but struggles against men of the same size?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What it comes down to is how how highly do we rate McEvoy

We have invested in him, everything we can to develop into an elite ruckman.

Will he?

He no doubt will be a good player for us, will he ever be a great one?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I would keep McEvoy.... He is a fair player....

Trade Hickey.... For a set of steak knives... Or even a player we actually need??!!

Question
What if Boyd is not that great.... And Aish turns out a star?
What if Boyd dominates against other kids 15kg lighter and 3 inches shorter, but struggles against men of the same size?
We might pick up Aish with pick 3 ... if he isn't taken at 2.

Picks 1, 3 and 20 (assuming the Bombers have no 1st round draft pick) sounds OK to me as part of the re-build.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I want to keep Ben but if it was a deal that was weighted in our favour such as a straight swap for pick 1 and possibly a fringe player like Siposs then I would do it.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:I want to keep Ben but if it was a deal that was weighted in our favour such as a straight swap for pick 1 and possibly a fringe player like Siposs then I would do it.
Be hard to imagine getting a deal that good. I'd take that in a heartbeat, even though Ben is becoming part of our fabric.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Gotta keep both McEvoy and Hickey imo. Both key parts of our future.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy is a level headed, mature guy with leadership written all over him. End of story

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I dont get it. We lack players around Bens age and we want to get rid of him. We have seen Stanley for 5 years and there is no proof what so ever he is a capable AFL football. It is to early to call on Hickey except for one here who rates him as good as a set of steak knives. What a joke after 3 seasons in the system and slow improvement this year.

So we do it and get Boyd but who gets it down to him. Lenny, dal and joey are probably retired or close to it when Boyd is ready and we are then hoping players that may be good are all of a sudden very good to replace these guys. Also our forward line will have White, Lee, Stanley as talls then or are we saying they wont be of standard so we need more talls.

People need to realise the game is getting more and more about mids. Just look at how many goals is leading the Coleman. Get mids this year and next and next and leave later picks to the big guys who take time anyway. They say this guy is like Hawkins. Well he took years to come good and that was with a great midffield give him plenty of chances.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Yes, we need some gun running mids and at least one key defender. That's got to be the priority

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I would almost prefer pick three over Boyd considering what we'd be giving up for him.

The McEvoy deal would need to be weighted massively in our favour, which won't happen.

I heard Dees were keen on Kelly but I really can't see them passing on Aish so doubt he'd be there at pick three.

I agree with plugger that we are probably 12 months away from knowing if Hickey and Pierce for that matter will make it. I can't see it happening considering what we gave up for another ruck. We are more likely to move on a medium defender, Gwilt, Ferg, or (hopefully not) Simpkin, and maybe Stanley if he is wanted anywhere while he has currency.

Edit. And those suggested trades would be for pick 10 at best, not pick one unless we give up pick three...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Plugger66 and others have great points. I have changed my mind. Keep McEvoy. Look at mids only.

Boyd is so tempting but with Lee, White, Siposs and Roo still around (not to mention Maister) and a resting ruckman still able to fill the tall forward spot for the next 3 years - we will be ok for that area of the ground.

If White and Lee don't progress we may have to look at the draft, free agency or trades to get our next key forward.

Midfield is where we need our draft choices to be used.

We need to trade in one possibly two 195cm key backs.

As far as I see it we have pick 3 and 20 because at minimum Essendon will lose draft picks for bring game into disrepute IMO.

I would LOVE to get an extra draft pick around 6 to 13 to really cement the midfield rebuild.

This means we would have to target teams like North, Carlton, Richmond etc who are on the edge of being finals or serious finals contender and looking to get particular types to bolster their structure and depth.

We have surplus:

- small forwards (not in demand) probably only Saad has currency
- 6'3" defenders probably Gwilt and Gilbert have currency
- and one early 20s ruckman probably Stanley has currency

With Kosi and probably Milne retiring and Lenny heading for his last year in 2014 if be decides to go on then it is essential that we keep Dempster, Fisher, Montagna, Dal Santo, Schneider and obviously Captain Roo for experience and guidance on field.

Our middle age range can be built on Roberton, McEvoy, Steven, Armitage, Geary, Hickey (who I rate better than steak knives but still a developing ruckman), Siposs, Lee etc

The question is what can we get from whom for two of these three:

- Saad
- Stanley
- Gilbert / Gwilt

For either a first rounder (might take all 3 to get that) or player exchange e.g. Toby Green from GWS ...

Just some rambling thoughts ...

Richter
SS Life Member

Pass on Boyd. Simply because we'd need to give up too much to get him.

Kelly or Aish likely to go at #2 which means we'll get the other at #3.

Aish described as the more rounded mid. Kelly as being more outside, with tremendous endurance, run and and spread capacity and an elite kick.

Either way I say keep big Mac and pick up one of Aish/Kelly with #3.

Question will be whether we can get any sort of a pick upgrade of #20 or #37 by throwing up someone like Stanley.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

get Sloane he's a ready made Mid...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
chook23
Saintsational Legend

pick 3 and mcevoy

for pick 1 and 10 ( gws compo pick)

saint4life
Beekay
SS Life Member

It's all well and good to acknowledge our need for midfielders. But let's be honest here, if we had a top 5 pick for the next 3-4 years and got a midfielder each time, we still wouldn't be able to face up to GC or GWS's stacked lists.

The only way you're going to beat those teams is with an out-and-out superstar in front of the sticks (Fraser Gehrig, Mathew Lloyd, Fevola, Pavlich, Riewoldt).

"who's gonna kick it down to them?" Last time I checked, great midfielders pop up everywhere after pick 5 (you could even say pick 10-15), year-after-year.

Doubt very much GWS will trade the pick for anything other than two great young players. Who knows. Best not to care, as it's a bit of a fantasy like most trade speculation.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:It's all well and good to acknowledge our need for midfielders. But let's be honest here, if we had a top 5 pick for the next 3-4 years and got a midfielder each time, we still wouldn't be able to face up to GC or GWS's stacked lists.

The only way you're going to beat those teams is with an out-and-out superstar in front of the sticks (Fraser Gehrig, Mathew Lloyd, Fevola, Pavlich, Riewoldt).

"who's gonna kick it down to them?" Last time I checked, great midfielders pop up everywhere after pick 5, year-after-year.

Doubt very much GWS will trade the pick for anything other than two great young players.

Its interesting you say that about GWS. I was at a sportsman night Saturday night and Damien Hardwick spoke and he reckons that GWS will not get rid of pick one because no club will be willing to offer what they want. he said they could offer brett Delidio and he was certain that GWS would still say that isnt enough.

I still dont agree on the superstar KPP to become a great side. Look at Sydney. Yes they got Tippett but won the flag with the likes of Mumford, LRT and reid up forward. They won that game because of the mids. Footy is changing to become a mids game more than ever. And yes you are right we probably cant compete with GWS and GC but if we can get up there in 8 or 10 years they will be hopefully going backwards by then.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

No point in getting pick 1 if we lose pick 3. Need them both

#1 Ryder fan
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

We are most likely to get a top 3 pick in 2014 as well. Go for the mid this year, and go for the power forward next year.

This certainly wont be the last draft we have high picks.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:

The question is what can we get from whom for two of these three:

- Saad
- Stanley
- Gilbert / Gwilt

For either a first rounder (might take all 3 to get that) or player exchange e.g. Toby Green from GWS ...

Just some rambling thoughts ...
Sorry....but none of those three would attract a high price.

IMO Gilbert is a first 22 player and I would keep him.

Stanley has an upside. But is an athlete trying to become a footballer, and sometimes athletes never bridge the gap.

Pick 3 will get us good mid. Pick 4 maybe not as good. We desperately need another VERY good mid to complement Jack.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Stanley has an upside. But is an athlete trying to become a footballer, and sometimes athletes never bridge the gap.

i've seen glimpses in stanley ...enough to convince me he can play at the highest level.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Beekay
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Beekay wrote:It's all well and good to acknowledge our need for midfielders. But let's be honest here, if we had a top 5 pick for the next 3-4 years and got a midfielder each time, we still wouldn't be able to face up to GC or GWS's stacked lists.

"who's gonna kick it down to them?" Last time I checked, great midfielders pop up everywhere after pick 5, year-after-year.

Doubt very much GWS will trade the pick for anything other than two great young players.

Its interesting you say that about GWS. I was at a sportsman night Saturday night and Damien Hardwick spoke and he reckons that GWS will not get rid of pick one because no club will be willing to offer what they want. he said they could offer brett Delidio and he was certain that GWS would still say that isnt enough.

I still dont agree on the superstar KPP to become a great side. Look at Sydney. Yes they got Tippett but won the flag with the likes of Mumford, LRT and reid up forward. They won that game because of the mids. Footy is changing to become a mids game more than ever. And yes you are right we probably cant compete with GWS and GC but if we can get up there in 8 or 10 years they will be hopefully going backwards by then.
A lot of things went Sydney's way. Take away two decent onballers they squeezed in under their cap... Or better still, tell Hawthorn to pull their heads in and play as a team..

Now with Tippett.. extra dangerous. Didn't he almost lift Adelaide last year?

I'm not saying you need a superstar CHF/FF to win a flag, I am saying that for us to even come close in the next 5-7 years, we'll certainly need one.

Even then there's always luck. Podsy getting the hell out Hawkins way in the '11 GF.

Don't know what's happened to Collingwood, but I think they did the right thing paying through their a@#h@s to keep Travis Cloke. When he fires, they usually go from good to scary good.

We all know about Riewoldt's heroics to get us to the big dance.

How would have Carlton or even the Dogs faired with Riewoldt over the last 6 years?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood beat us without cloke doing much at all. They won because of their mids. Hawkins was certainly helpful for Geelong beating the pies but they won 2 GF's previously because of a great midfield. I think Footscay would have done better with Rooy but Its a bit early to suggest Boyd is as good as Rooy. They are comparing him to Hawkins and if thats the case then take pick 3 and keep Ben IMO.

PJ
SS Life Member

I find it interesting that some people already have White as being successful and have him pretty much pencilled in. From all reports he's struggling at VFl level?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.