Sam Fisher - Season Over

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Sam Fisher - Season Over

Just confirmed on SEN he will have surgary to his toe this week and will be out for the year. He has played with this injury all season while Simpkin has been rotting away at Sandy. Think it was pretty clear to everyone we weren't a threat as far back as round 1. Aren't we rebuilding?

Two Questions

1. Why was he selected to play this week? - Fooled no one over the age 6. Except maybe one poster.
2. Why has he been playing and looking like a 2nd rate VFL player all year. He deserves better. He's a great of the club.

The type of decision that is confusing me as to what we are trying to acieve this year.

Comments.

Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Fisher - Season Over

I heard the report on SEN also and try not to get sucked in by Finey's rant. He's there to create entertainment. He's assumed that it was the clubs fault and I didn't get the feeling that Finey balanced out his rant by asking what Sam's role was in the the decision to put his hand up every week to play.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't surprise me if the club has done the wrong thing and not done the op earlier.

Then again, Watters had trouble convincing the playing group we were rebuilding.

The coach needs to grow some balls, he's the boss not the players.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin IMO has not necesarily been ready, not as switched in as last year; I likw him and trust he ginds his rhythm soon

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I heard the report on SEN also and try not to get sucked in by Finey's rant. He's there to create entertainment. He's assumed that it was the clubs fault and I didn't get the feeling that Finey balanced out his rant by asking what Sam's role was in the the decision to put his hand up every week to play.
Fair point, but regardless, how has it helped the club, or Sam, by him playing with obvious limitations and under duress. It makes our failure to secure a full back over the past 2 years even more painful.

Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if the club has done the wrong thing and not done the op earlier.

Then again, Watters had trouble convincing the playing group we were rebuilding.

Why doesn't it surprise you that the club did the right thing.

If Watters had trouble convincing the players that the rebuild was on then that says more about football intelligence of the players than it does the coach but I don't believe it anyway...just a big myth IMO.

I don't understand your last point.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I heard the report on SEN also and try not to get sucked in by Finey's rant. He's there to create entertainment. He's assumed that it was the clubs fault and I didn't get the feeling that Finey balanced out his rant by asking what Sam's role was in the the decision to put his hand up every week to play.
Fair point, but regardless, how has it helped the club, or Sam, by him playing with obvious limitations and under duress. It makes our failure to secure a full back over the past 2 years even more painful.
Isn't player feedback and input part of the selection process? If you put your hand up and you are playing under duress to the point that it is limiting your ability to give 100% then surely the player has to take some responsibility.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if the club has done the wrong thing and not done the op earlier.

Why doesn't it surprise you that the club did the right thing.

If Watters had trouble convincing the players that the rebuild was on then that says more about football intelligence of the players than it does the coach but I don't believe it anyway...just a big myth IMO.

I don't understand your last point.
Dont bother trying Cairnsman, the poster isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Apparently players have never ever palyed football with injuries except at St.Kilda.

Apparently according to SP the club seems to always do the "wrong thing" by our players.

As for why was he selected? Maybe it was OK to play but got worse?

As for Simpkin "rotting away"

1) Fisher is an AA
2) Nobody knows the internal discipiline issues Simpkin may have had
3) Maybe the coach wanted a backman that wouldn't go around punching their opponent in the face and then get rubbed out, leaving our defence for next week threadbare.

SP please attempt to use your tiny intellect before postign. You embarrass yourself with your idiot statements. Really mate, you continue to make a A grade fool of yourself.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
8856brother wrote:
Isn't player feedback and input part of the selection process? If you put your hand up and you are playing under duress to the point that it is limiting your ability to give 100% then surely the player has to take some responsibility.
It is. But we don't know what's been discussed internally. My point is I reckon there has been more pressure on him to front up because we have failed to secure another Full Back. We were short on quality defenders even without the injury setbacks.

Cairnsman wrote:Isn't player feedback and input part of the selection process? If you put your hand up and you are playing under duress to the point that it is limiting your ability to give 100% then surely the player has to take some responsibility.
You do know that players play with injury all the time, dont you?

Its part of our "not tanking" process. Players can play on throughout a season with injury and have surgery at seasons end.

When youa re out of it, you send your players in for surgery early, giving the Fergusons and Simpkins extended playing time.

It really isn't rocket science except of course unless you are saintspremiers :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

You would like to think that it was a "joint decision." The question is whether the club was pushing him to play (with painkillers), until it became obvious that an operation was a must do action. For me, Sam played too sore, for too long. Perhaps both are to blame :roll:

savatage
SS Life Member

I'm happy for fish to get right for next season.

He's clearly been stuffed all year.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Isn't player feedback and input part of the selection process? If you put your hand up and you are playing under duress to the point that it is limiting your ability to give 100% then surely the player has to take some responsibility.
You do know that players play with injury all the time, dont you?

Its part of our "not tanking" process. Players can play on throughout a season with injury and have surgery at seasons end.

When youa re out of it, you send your players in for surgery early, giving the Fergusons and Simpkins extended playing time.

It really isn't rocket science except of course unless you are saintspremiers :D :D
Oh jackass you are a fool.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
PurpleHayes
Club Player

A player will always do their all to play each week.

What are their match payments these days? $4-5k?

Hence not necessarily the coaching staff pushing the player..

We all have no idea why fisher was playing. Perhaps a 75% fit fish is better than ferguson and simpkin?

southernsaint
Club Player

Whats done is done. We do not know what has gone on internally at the club. The main question now is who do we elevate from the rookie list. Since their futures may be on the line at the end of the year , give tom curren and shenton a go. By putting fish and maister on the long term injury list. Everything to gain nothing to lose and at seasons end we will know exactly where our list is at. Be pro-active saints.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PurpleHayes wrote:A player will always do their all to play each week.

We all have no idea why fisher was playing. Perhaps a 75% fit fish is better than ferguson and simpkin?

Fisher wouldnt get match payments. Everyone is guessing why he kept playing. My guess is the doctors, the club and th player thought he could. it may have just got worse. What I dont understand is why they picked him this week.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

It could be a bit of both, if we we're in the finals race, no doubt they'd find a way to keep him on the pitch, as it could be an injury that was manageable.
However, as it has become clearly evident since about round 6 or 7 that we we're not going to play finals, the decision has been made to have early surgery.
Just watch the teams that can't make finals from now on, Fisher wont be the last one to do this, more teams will withdraw top players who need surgery, even minor surgery, now so they can be 100% by the time pre season starts.
You wouldn't call surgery on a toe as major.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
howlinwolf
Club Player

I think the reasoning behind him playing would be we didn't want to go down the Melboune path.
That is playing with too few senior players to pass on experience and keep a stable base to the club while it rebuilds.
Unfortunately Sam's injury probably progressed further than they would have liked and has forced the Club's hand in putting him in for surgery.
I'm not sure why some always look for the incompetent reason ?

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'm pretty sure Sam has played with this injury for a long while .
Seems like it was very slowly getting worse and then he hit the decision point.
They probably had a plan at the start of the year to manage it until it became unbearable.
I don't see the problem at all. Round 12 is when you can start thinking about early surgeries and draft picks .
If we were top 4 he'd probably play on .

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Good news then if they are sending him to the panel beaters for a repair job..

He'll be hoping for a happy ending.....

Who is Finey ?

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Yep, Fisher injured his toe, Watters fault. Ludicrous and embarrassing assertion, lucky idiots like you get to post this rubbish hiding behind a pseudonym so no accountability...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I'm pretty sure Sam has played with this injury for a long while .
Seems like it was very slowly getting worse and then he hit the decision point.
They probably had a plan at the start of the year to manage it until it became unbearable.
I don't see the problem at all. Round 12 is when you can start thinking about early surgeries and draft picks .
If we were top 4 he'd probably play on .
Agree
They've been managing him for a while , just like every other club does with so many of there players !
Lets hope he is fit and ready to go at the start of next pre-season .

In red white and black from 73
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:

Yep, Fisher injured his toe, Watters fault. Ludicrous and embarrassing assertion, lucky idiots like you get to post this rubbish hiding behind a pseudonym so no accountability...
Oh we all know who he is.

Sits by himself every week at the football because everyone thinks he is an A-Grade F-wit.

Sometimes brings his kids who have no choice but sit with him.

Some of the stupidities I have had the misfourtune to hear come out of his mouth makes the things he posts here sound like Einstein.

Absolute plonker of a fool. I think he might have a mental deficiency so being a bit harsh I suppose.

Lance or James??

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Just confirmed on SEN he will have surgary to his toe this week and will be out for the year. He has played with this injury all season while Simpkin has been rotting away at Sandy. Think it was pretty clear to everyone we weren't a threat as far back as round 1. Aren't we rebuilding?

Two Questions

1. Why was he selected to play this week? - Fooled no one over the age 6. Except maybe one poster.
2. Why has he been playing and looking like a 2nd rate VFL player all year. He deserves better. He's a great of the club.

The type of decision that is confusing me as to what we are trying to acieve this year.

Comments.

Who are the young defenders going to learn from if Fisher doesn't play?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
PurpleHayes wrote:A player will always do their all to play each week.

Fisher wouldnt get match payments. Everyone is guessing why he kept playing. My guess is the doctors, the club and th player thought he could. it may have just got worse. What I dont understand is why they picked him this week.
He may have been desperate to play with Dal and Roo in their big games.