Tom Curren

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Tom Curren

Won Sandy's Best and Fairest last year.

He has been playing as a midfielder/small forward and averaged about 25 touches and 2 goals a game and from what I've read is up there again in the Best and Fairest.

Our current small forwards have been poor at hitting the scoreboard and creating turnovers and defensive pressure. They lack the versatility to play midfield. Curren has that versatility.

We had the opportunity to upgrade him but didn't. Instead we upgraded another tall running flanker.

By the look of it Curren will not play a senior game for St Kilda and be delisted at seasons end. I would've liked to see what he has to offer, I reckon we've deserved to, seeing as though he's been the best performed player for our two's over the last 18 months.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Curren

Old Mate wrote:Won Sandy's Best and Fairest last year.

He has been playing as a midfielder/small forward and averaged about 25 touches and 2 goals a game and from what I've read is up there again in the Best and Fairest.

Our current small forwards have been poor at hitting the scoreboard and creating turnovers and defensive pressure. They lack the versatility to play midfield. Curren has that versatility.

We had the opportunity to upgrade him but didn't. Instead we upgraded another tall running flanker.

By the look of it Curren will not play a senior game for St Kilda and be delisted at seasons end. I would've liked to see what he has to offer, I reckon we've deserved to seeing as though he's been the best performed player for our two's over the last 18 months.

He can play after round 12 I think and now has to baring injury.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Agree plugger....We need to at least see what he's got at senior level....And see if he can improve the team....If he doesn't play this year than he will certainly be delisted IMO. Three years on the rookie list without playing a senior game equals papers stamped....

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's time to have a look at him - if we can get him on the list - nothing to lose.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not sure why he wasn't promoted before young Ferguson? Strange decision.

Curran and Cockie have easily been Sandy's best performed players for 16 months.

Deserves his shot, from what I understand... Busts a gut on the track

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not sure why he wasn't promoted before young Ferguson? Strange decision.

Curran and Cockie have easily been Sandy's best performed players for 16 months.

He was crap yesterday.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
BigMart wrote:Not sure why he wasn't promoted before young Ferguson? Strange decision.

He was crap yesterday.
Do you disagree he is worthy for a senior opportunity?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Jackson Ferguson proved today that there is a MASSIVE DIFFERENCE between AFL form and VFL form !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Keen to try any young mid with a heartbeat

Greg T
Club Player

By all accounts has played well for a long time,
He's worth a shot,can't be any worse that some of our others .
Coach should be on to this .

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

He was crap yesterday.
Do you disagree he is worthy for a senior opportunity?
Just not up to AFL in my opinion.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Bernard, you may be right and you likely are. My issue is, I suspect there's a number of players in our current 22 that are also not up to AFL...At least yet anyway, and that's why I suggest giving Curren an opportunity to prove you, the selection committee and everyone wrong! No offence.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Surely Curren deserved a game more then ferguson!!

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Won Sandy's Best and Fairest last year.

By the look of it Curren will not play a senior game for St Kilda and be delisted at seasons end. I would've liked to see what he has to offer, I reckon we've deserved to seeing as though he's been the best performed player for our two's over the last 18 months.

He can play after round 12 I think and now has to baring injury.
He is not AFL standard.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Bernard, you may be right and you likely are. My issue is, I suspect there's a number of players in our current 22 that are also not up to AFL...At least yet anyway, and that's why I suggest giving Curren an opportunity to prove you, the selection committee and everyone wrong! No offence.
I would have given him a game ahead of Ferg, but the decision's been made made now and we can't elevate another rookie until after round 12. He has to get a go this year and I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a 200 game mid for the Saints.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

It seems strange that he was retained. He was the best player at Sandringham last year, he's the best player there this year, he has an AFL-ready body, plays a role we're desperately lacking in yet he's not being considered. I don't see what more he could possibly do. Maybe if he started getting 55 touches and kicking 8 goals each week instead of 35 and 2 he might get a look in?

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:Jackson Ferguson proved today that there is a MASSIVE DIFFERENCE between AFL form and VFL form !!
Ferguson didnt have any VFL to speak of - it was a desperate decision by a very ordinary coaching group !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:It seems strange that he was retained. He was the best player at Sandringham last year, he's the best player there this year, he has an AFL-ready body, plays a role we're desperately lacking in yet he's not being considered. I don't see what more he could possibly do. Maybe if he started getting 55 touches and kicking 8 goals each week instead of 35 and 2 he might get a look in?
He has to convince the coaches that his size doesn't matter. I seem to remember Matty Lappin had to convince Stan Alves of the same.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Magner made the jump ok last year. Sometimes the cleaner game helps some players rather than makes life hard for them.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Give him a game FFS
He's threatening to become the next T Walsh on here!

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Bernard Shakey wrote:

He was crap yesterday.

Agreed. Question though, was he given a tagging job? Could have just been an off day, and he could have been trying to do the right thing and be accountable for his man, but it looked to me a few times like he was following someone around. Could be wrong, drank a few well-priced cans of full strength beer (gotta love the VFL).

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Magner made the jump ok last year. Sometimes the cleaner game helps some players rather than makes life hard for them.
Magner can't get a game for Melbourne this year, so I guess everyone was right about him… sounds like Curren is the same unfortunately, dominating VFL doesn't mean a lot.

I want to see Curren get a game to see how he handles AFL level, but from what I have seen in VFL games, his disposal just isn't up to scratch.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I think Curren is more suited to AFL than many believe. He is relatively quick, puts his head over the ball, his skills are solid and he can run out games. To be honest I believe he and Ledger combined would offer far more than Armitage and Saad.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

cockie should have been elevated

#1 Ryder fan
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

WinnersOnly wrote:I think Curren is more suited to AFL than many believe. He is relatively quick, puts his head over the ball, his skills are solid and he can run out games. To be honest I believe he and Ledger combined would offer far more than Armitage and Saad.
Sorry, but we didn't see Ledger get one effective disposal on Saturday. He may well have got some at the far end of the ground from where we were standing and we didin't see them, but every single disposal that we saw him get, missed the target, by both hand and foot.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!