Hickey v McEvoy -who had the better game?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

Hickey v McEvoy -who had the better game?

Didn't get to see the game last night, but looking at the stats I wondered who had the better game?
The interesting stat for me was that Hickey had more hitouts (I assume McEvoy played more time in the ruck)

It's been we'll documented on here that Hickey isn't much chop when it comes to being a forward, should the coaches consider Hickey playing more in the ruck and McEvoy more forward (at very least McEvoy can take a mark or create a contest for the little blokes)
Personally I feel Hickey is more athletic than McEvoy and of given consistent games, will become a much better ruckman than McEvoy.

What are the thoughts of the people?

Here are the stats

McEvoy
10 touches
4 marks
Hitouts 13 (13% to advantage)
6 contested possessions
1 clearance
5 tackles
86% tog

Hickey
15 touches
4 contested marks
17 hitouts (12% to advantage)
6 contested possessions
1 clearance
2 tackles
77% tog

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: Hickey v McEvoy -who had the better game?

Poor from both however throughout a season even the better players go through poorer periods.

Hickey will be fine. Unfortunately (like the side as a collective), we just need to suck it up

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Gee that's a good comparison. Hickey has to keep playing. He does some things in particular the way he moves that get you a little excited.

saintjake
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:Gee that's a good comparison. Hickey has to keep playing. He does some things in particular the way he moves that get you a little excited.
I reckon a role reversal would work wonders.
McEvoy would straighten us up a bit, and I think a Hickey with confidence could be a very good player!

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

My only problem with those two are who is the F@#$ing ruck coach .
What happened to hitting the ball to your player ?
Or are are mid-fielders that bad they carn't get first hands on it !

In red white and black from 73
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hickey seriously looks like a poor mans Warnock, which is saying something.... He looks a bit Gumby like for me....

Reportedly a good runner, looks slow, clumsy and not overly strong (being nice) ...

Mac has one thing going for him.... He can catch the ball.... Need more to his game...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Hickey seriously looks like a poor mans Warnock, which is saying something.... He looks a bit Gumby like for me....

Reportedly a good runner, looks slow, clumsy and not overly strong (being nice) ...

Mac has one thing going for him.... He can catch the ball.... Need more to his game...

I agree. hickey has played footy for about 4 years in his life. if he isnt like Cox now then he will never make. I like the term gumby. it is so positive after 4 games at our club and he is a young ruckman. most have made it by his age.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Hickey seriously looks like a poor mans Warnock, which is saying something.... He looks a bit Gumby like for me....

I agree. hickey has played footy for about 4 years in his life. if he isnt like Cox now then he will never make. I like the term gumby. it is so positive after 4 games at our club and he is a young ruckman. most have made it by his age.
Well done, you actually made me laugh.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Hickey had more impact in the middle for mine

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Tom was by far the better player, both in the ruck and around the ground. If he (and few others) can get the magic potion to make him stronger, he will be an asset. Unfortunately, I think Ben is as good as he is ever going to be, and the rest are going past him.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Tom was by far the better player, both in the ruck and around the ground. If he (and few others) can get the magic potion to make him stronger, he will be an asset. Unfortunately, I think Ben is as good as he is ever going to be, and the rest are going past him.
Funny thing is that 2 weeks ago most pundits were saying Ben was going to be elite and I reckon they are right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We really do change our minds weekly. 3 games ago ben was the greatest thing ever. Now he is very average footballer. 4 weeks ago SW couldnt coach. 3 weeks ago he was the coach we wanted. Now he cant coach again.

evo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:We really do change our minds weekly. 3 games ago ben was the greatest thing ever. Now he is very average footballer. 4 weeks ago SW couldnt coach. 3 weeks ago he was the coach we wanted. Now he cant coach again.
McEvoy will probably have another game like he had three weeks ago, however he will probably play twenty games like yesterday before he does. He will never be a good tap ruckman but maybe Hickey will. I think it is time to find out, if that means MaEvoy has to find a different position or off to Sandy so be it.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Hahahaha BigMart just got a newie torn.

Plugger hit the nail on the head.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Hickey?

Just think of Mike Pyke. Watched him against the Cats and he is now very good. He is 29.

Hickey has a long way to go as he started late. But has lots of raw ability and is only 22. One thing I already like is that he knows how to find the ball and read the play ok. Some of the late starters never acquire that.

Too early to say if he will make it or not.

But we need to build a group of young players who improve together.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Mcevoy should watch some tapes of Michael Gardiner. Maybe not evolving as a tap ruckman as quickly as some thought, guess it's fortunate that there is plenty of time for him to improve before we are competitive again.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Hickey had the better game on Sat, ruck & around the ground - looked that way watching it live anyway - definitely not recording the replay.

Stat left out in the OP - McEvoy also had 100% disposal efficiency

No Contract, No contact :shock:
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hickey was better

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

hickey was actually pretty good around the game and can move. One of Big macs worst games last night- didn't do much around the ground and had his colours lowered in the ruck.

both suffered from having Jack triple teamed and tackled if he got the ball and lenny going down and Amo missing made it very easy for the dogs

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

saintjake wrote:Didn't get to see the game last night, but looking at the stats I wondered who had the better game?
The interesting stat for me was that Hickey had more hitouts (I assume McEvoy played more time in the ruck)

It's been we'll documented on here that Hickey isn't much chop when it comes to being a forward, should the coaches consider Hickey playing more in the ruck and McEvoy more forward (at very least McEvoy can take a mark or create a contest for the little blokes)
Personally I feel Hickey is more athletic than McEvoy and of given consistent games, will become a much better ruckman than McEvoy.

What are the thoughts of the people?

Here are the stats

McEvoy
10 touches
4 marks
Hitouts 13 (13% to advantage)
6 contested possessions
1 clearance
5 tackles
86% tog

Hickey
15 touches
4 contested marks
17 hitouts (12% to advantage)
6 contested possessions
1 clearance
2 tackles
77% tog

even from what i saw... good to keep them both in.. hickey to float forward Ben down back. kosi in Beau out. or is that too tall for north?

I can't wait to see Stanley towel up Daw... can't see him having a good one forward with stan on him.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
PJ
SS Life Member

I really like what I saw with Hickey last night. If you can't see the potential in this bloke then you're deadset blind. Great aggression, is not slow in the pack. For a big guy he is quite mobile and takes a good grab and will only get better.

I actually can't believe Ben has gone backwards so fast. His first few games were really impressive but boy has he lost form. Last night Hickey took the chocies IMO but Ben should bounce back.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We really do change our minds weekly. 3 games ago ben was the greatest thing ever. Now he is very average footballer. 4 weeks ago SW couldnt coach. 3 weeks ago he was the coach we wanted. Now he cant coach again.
I've been concerned about him for awhile.

Jumps early, doesn't score at all, being a loose in defence isn't supposed to be what a ruck is famed for.

Haven't given up on him or anything, just expect a lot more of owl.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Don't bag it- there were actually people who want to stop you being banned. give them another couple of hours of reading your posts and they will want you lynched and banned again. never disrespect the fickle masses.

I have never ben a huge fan of Big Mac and have always said it- until he starts to get good at tap work he is just taking a spot. There would be better players around the ground that can't ruck also but offer more in other areas. i haven't give up on him just impatient.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sorry double post- stupid slow page loading.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy is a good footballer, has had many good AFL games.... Is average athletically

Needs to decide, is he going to be a strong Ruckman..... Jolly, Minson, Hille, Jamar...etc

Or Mobile.... Luenberger, Cox, Bellxhambers etc...

At the moment, he's not really either??,

I suggest he get stronger